The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannydee
I like the orange juice idea, thanks! Or I guess I could just have two protein shakes a day on top of meals, but then is there such a thing as too much protein? Plus it's quite expensive, hmm... orange juice it is!

I used to love drinking tropical fruit juice until I got acid erosion on my teeth and was diagnosed t1 diabetic... :P I'd kill to have some atm without any repercussions :biggrin:
Its funny how some people struggle to reach the amount of cals they need to when some people struggle to eat just that much and not more :tongue:

:sigh:
Original post by blush.ox
Its funny how some people struggle to reach the amount of cals they need to when some people struggle to eat just that much and not more :tongue:

I actually struggle to make myself eat enough, and yet I'm having to work to lose weight. I don't understand.

I have no problems eating enough! I'm used to eating plenty. I think it's since I began exercising, having to adjust and eat so much more so that I'm netting a good amount is proving difficult - it's honestly hard to even just find the time! Plus I don't want to be forcing so much food into me at meal times that I'm left feeling sick and bloated. I'm sure having a cold isn't helping the matter. Hard to find a balance.
I appreciate if you don't understand that; I'm sure it is very easy for a lot of people. Wish that were the case for me.
Reply 2284
To those of you interested, here is my day SO FAR
And to those of you also on MFP - add meeee! :biggrin:

That site looks great. That is kinda what I do anyway when I'm losing weight or monitoring training progress but I just do it in excel.
Original post by thesilvermagnolia
(Y) I'm trying to stick to wholemeal bread, wholegrain pasta and brown rice :biggrin:

yeah il be doing that too =)
For some reason, even though I've been eating crap all week, I haven't put on so much as an ounce. Must have been eating at least 3,000 cals per day. Not that I'm complaining! Guess I have been busy/active as well.

Going to be even more active soon as I'm getting involved with some fundraised for the CF Trust again! About time :-).
I like the orange juice idea, thanks! Or I guess I could just have two protein shakes a day on top of meals, but then is there such a thing as too much protein? Plus it's quite expensive, hmm... orange juice it is!

How have you been finding the protein shakes out of interest? Do you think they make you feel really full and eat less? Have you noticed any other changes since starting drinking them? I'm considering getting some, but you don't often hear about girls using them, so I'm not really sure.
Reply 2288
Original post by Chrisateen
I understand what your trying to say. With me I have had a completley opposite opinion from people. Despite my BMI being around 23 people (including my mum) have made negative comments about my weight and thought I was getting too skinny. I have gotten comments such as I'm looking annorexic, ill, have I lost weight because I was ill, one person thought I lost weight because I had no money to eat at uni, one person said the reason why I was cold was because my bones are weak e.t.c and think that I have taken my weight loss too far even though I still have some stuborn fat left and want to lose a bit more and will still be in the healthy BMI range.

In your case I understand why a few people are a bit concerned due to your BMI however only you can decide what is your ideal weight as people's opinon can vary and if you keep listening to other people way too much you would always be losing or gaining weight. Even if you decide to gain a bit of weight I would just gain enough to get it back up to the healthy range and then stop

I am definitely deciding to gain weight. Something I haven't mentioned on here is that I haven't had a period since june... I'm sure it must be due to my weight as nothing else has changed, unless I'm deficient in something maybe. I will ask the GP but until then I'm assuming its because of my weight.
I had a bad day yesterday calorie wise! But it was because I went to the pub and drank cider, which is about 200 cals a pint! It was the first time I've had a drink in ages though so I felt entitled to a treat.
Reply 2290
I have no problems eating enough! I'm used to eating plenty. I think it's since I began exercising, having to adjust and eat so much more so that I'm netting a good amount is proving difficult - it's honestly hard to even just find the time! Plus I don't want to be forcing so much food into me at meal times that I'm left feeling sick and bloated. I'm sure having a cold isn't helping the matter. Hard to find a balance.
I appreciate if you don't understand that; I'm sure it is very easy for a lot of people. Wish that were the case for me.

I had that problem when I started exercising seriously. Luckily now I'm back to eating normal portions... although I've decided to try and lose a few pounds so maybe slightly smaller portions would be better!

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
For some reason, even though I've been eating crap all week, I haven't put on so much as an ounce. Must have been eating at least 3,000 cals per day. Not that I'm complaining! Guess I have been busy/active as well.

Going to be even more active soon as I'm getting involved with some fundraised for the CF Trust again! About time :-).

Lucky you hah! I've just signed up for the Reading half marathon.... not sure if that was a great idea because although I run most days I've never done anything lie that distance... Oh well, I've got until April to get to that level!

Original post by -jessica
I am definitely deciding to gain weight. Something I haven't mentioned on here is that I haven't had a period since june... I'm sure it must be due to my weight as nothing else has changed, unless I'm deficient in something maybe. I will ask the GP but until then I'm assuming its because of my weight.

Good plan! Have you seen your GP? Make sure that you're getting enough iron too! xx
Original post by -jessica

First of all it might be a good idea to take your weight loss ticker out of your sig. Literally every time you post, it makes you think about losing weight, and that can't be a good thing.

Also, have you tried looking at eating disorder support threads on here? I know you say you don't have one, but people on there share tips about how to gain weight which would be useful to you even if you don't. I have a feeling that this thread would be far too triggering of the though that you can't eat too much, as most of us are losing weight.

How would you feel about eating junk food? For example having a slice of cake to increase your calories? Because if you feel disgusted by that, then I think you need to see your GP, as nobody who is underweight should worry about eating junk food.

I also know how hard it is to admit that you have a problem when it first starts, I had the same but with binge eating disorder, but once you do admit it you can get help for it :-).
Reply 2292
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
First of all it might be a good idea to take your weight loss ticker out of your sig. Literally every time you post, it makes you think about losing weight, and that can't be a good thing.

Also, have you tried looking at eating disorder support threads on here? I know you say you don't have one, but people on there share tips about how to gain weight which would be useful to you even if you don't. I have a feeling that this thread would be far too triggering of the though that you can't eat too much, as most of us are losing weight.

How would you feel about eating junk food? For example having a slice of cake to increase your calories? Because if you feel disgusted by that, then I think you need to see your GP, as nobody who is underweight should worry about eating junk food.

I also know how hard it is to admit that you have a problem when it first starts, I had the same but with binge eating disorder, but once you do admit it you can get help for it :-).

I honestly have turned a corner, I feel okay with gaining now. Yesterday I had a full bag of cashew nuts, crisps, and just generally a lot of food. I've lost my appetite for sweet food and am not a huge fan of junk food, but I am eating things without making a 'skinny version', e.g. using olive oil rather than frylight.

Thank you for all of the advice everyone. I think I'm going to be okay now :smile:
Reply 2293
Original post by Spam666
Haha I know! I've been running/swimming 4 times a week for months, and I've seen no difference in my body shape, even though I've been trying to get 'girl abs' for ages. But after only 2 weeks of that, it's actually started to happen! I know I sound like a right promoter for it :colonhash:but you should give it a go! Good luck with whatever you're aiming for anyway :smile:

Yeah resistance exercise is more important for getting "girl abs" than cardio.
It's just a combination of muscle mass + lowish body fat.
I think female body fat has to be around 15% to start getting visible muscles (though that may be a couple of % out)

I combine 4 lots of cardio per week (2x running and 2x swimming, similar to you :biggrin:) and 3 sessions of resistance training, with two of day off a week to recover and relax.
Since I added the resistance training in a couple of months ago I've noticed a real change in my shape.
Bit happy today. Decided to weigh in a day early at the gym instead of my usual Sunday weigh-in (because I'm going out tonight and there's a good chance I'll be too hungover to even get out of bed, let alone go to the gym) aaaand *drum roll please* I've lost 4lbs since 28th August, and my body fat percentage is down by 2.5%.
Glad things are moving in the right direction. The body fat is the main thing for me; still got a way to go but if I've dropped 2.5% in 2 weeks that tells me if I keep it up (and my body doesn't turn on me) then I'll be at my goal percentage in about 8 weeks from now. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Bit happy today. Decided to weigh in a day early at the gym instead of my usual Sunday weigh-in (because I'm going out tonight and there's a good chance I'll be too hungover to even get out of bed, let alone go to the gym) aaaand *drum roll please* I've lost 4lbs since 28th August, and my body fat percentage is down by 2.5%.
Glad things are moving in the right direction. The body fat is the main thing for me; still got a way to go but if I've dropped 2.5% in 2 weeks that tells me if I keep it up (and my body doesn't turn on me) then I'll be at my goal percentage in about 8 weeks from now. :smile:

Well done! :clap2: I've been so impressed with MFP actually, it has all English brands on it like Sainsbury's, Tesco etc! :biggrin: And I've been very impressed by the amount of calories you have been burning through exercise and this has motivated me to go out for a jog in the horrid rain!

I know what you mean about not eating enough - it's really strange because I usually have no problem with eating absolutely loads and when I started I really had to watch that I didn't go over my calories, but sometimes I have breakfast at 9am ish and then don't feel hungry and forget to eat lunch, and then I notice it is 5pm so I have an early dinner, and don't feel hungry again for the rest of the day. I usually make up all my calories or nearly at least with snacks or having wedges cooked in a bit of oil rather than boiled potatoes...
Day 10 of the 30DS, still sweating and very much out of breath but I feel so much stronger and I'm ready to level up, so overall I feel awesome!

I haaaave the powerrrrrrrrrr!!!
Original post by mamooshka
Day 10 of the 30DS, still sweating and very much out of breath but I feel so much stronger and I'm ready to level up, so overall I feel awesome!

I haaaave the powerrrrrrrrrr!!!

Haha, fits so well with the picture in your sig. Well done! :biggrin: Let me know what you make of level two.
Pretty silly question, but what is the 30 day shred? :colondollar:

Pretty silly question, but what is the 30 day shred? :colondollar:

Not a silly question at all! It's a (really, really great) workout DVD by one of the trainers of The Biggest Loser USA called Jillian Michaels. Here, have a nosy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jillian-Michaels-Day-Shred-DVD/dp/B002RNOS2Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315664402&sr=8-1

Latest