The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

Salford Freshers 2012

Hello, I received an offer from Salford a few weeks ago and I'm looking to possibly put it as my firm. I've looked into the accommodation quite a bit, and all the different ones seem to have mixed reviews. So i was just wondering what current students would say is the best for freshers. Looking for something with a great atmosphere but cleanish...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applied for Salford too. Its awesome for my course and employment.
But Im not too sure about the accommodation and student life though, on the website and brochure it looks dead.
(edited 12 years ago)
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by amaughan1
Hello, I received an offer from Salford a few weeks ago and I'm looking to possibly put it as my firm. I've looked into the accommodation quite a bit, and all the different ones seem to have mixed reviews. So i was just wondering what current students would say is the best for freshers. Looking for something with a great atmosphere but cleanish...

Castle Irwell - probably has the best social life but.. I wouldn't call it clean haha. Irwell has parties a lot and so if you're into that scene and don't care about the cleanliness of the place then you'll be fine. I know of people who often have nights where it's too loud to sleep properly and people seem to set the fire alarms off a lot.. So ear plugs might also be a good investment.

John Lester/Eddie Colman - this is where I live, and it's pretty awesome. It has a good social side because there are rooms downstairs where people can chill, and during freshers week etc there was always a lot of people downstairs recruiting people to go out drinking/clubbing. It's not as noisy as Castle Irwell either so you can sleep easy. The walls seem pretty thick; i can't really hear anyone from the neighbouring rooms. It's also awesome because although not on campus, you can leave 10mins before lecture starts and still get there on time.

Horlock - on campus. haven't been inside, but I think people get stuff stolen quite a lot. it also looks.. not that great. so you might wanna visit this one before choosing it. :tongue:

Constantine - i don't know much about this one.. It's on-campus and ensuite so that'd be pretty sweet. It's close to Horlock though so idk how much that influences it. But I can see it being quieter.

Bramall - don't know much about this one either. Seems similar to JL/EC but is the opposite direction from uni. I think it's quieter than JL though. And when I visited it, it looked pretty bad. :s-smilie: Dirty etc. JL/EC are new so are clean and modern but Bramall looked like it was crumbling haha.

IQ - expensive but looks really awesome and has a good social life. If you can afford it and don't mind the extra walking to the uni it's probably a good place to go.

I think I covered them all... Feel free to quote or inbox me if you need anything else.

Original post by Nikkuro
I applied for Salford too. Its awesome for my course and employment.
But Im not too sure about the accommodation and student life though, on the website and brochure it looks dead.

About the accommodation - look above.

By student life do you mean specifically the night life etc? How can it be dead?! Salford is on the outskirts of Manchester which is one of the best places for a night out...

Salford has a couple of decent pubs but for proper nights out we always get the train. It's literally only 3-4minutes train journey and the trains to Manchester are really frequent. Manc has awesome clubs and stuff so it makes for a great night out. Get a taxi home and split the cost between your friends and it isn't expensive.

Feel free to inbox/quote me if you want to know anything else.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by k3ro
Castle Irwell - probably has the best social life but.. I wouldn't call it clean haha. Irwell has parties a lot and so if you're into that scene and don't care about the cleanliness of the place then you'll be fine. I know of people who often have nights where it's too loud to sleep properly and people seem to set the fire alarms off a lot.. So ear plugs might also be a good investment.

John Lester/Eddie Colman - this is where I live, and it's pretty awesome. It has a good social side because there are rooms downstairs where people can chill, and during freshers week etc there was always a lot of people downstairs recruiting people to go out drinking/clubbing. It's not as noisy as Castle Irwell either so you can sleep easy. The walls seem pretty thick; i can't really hear anyone from the neighbouring rooms. It's also awesome because although not on campus, you can leave 10mins before lecture starts and still get there on time.

Constantine - i don't know much about this one.. It's on-campus and ensuite so that'd be pretty sweet. It's close to Castle Irwell though so idk how much that influences it. But I can see it being quieter.

Bramall - don't know much about this one either. Seems similar to JL/EC but is the opposite direction from uni. I think it's quieter than JL though. And when I visited it, it looked pretty bad. :s-smilie: Dirty etc. JL/EC are new so are clean and modern but Bramall looked like it was crumbling haha.

IQ - expensive but looks really awesome and has a good social life. If you can afford it and don't mind the extra walking to the uni it's probably a good place to go.

I think I covered them all... Feel free to quote or inbox me if you need anything else.

By student life do you mean specifically the night life etc? How can it be dead?! Salford is on the outskirts of Manchester which is one of the best places for a night out...

Salford has a couple of decent pubs but for proper nights out we always get the train. It's literally only 3-4minutes train journey and the trains to Manchester are really frequent. Manc has awesome clubs and stuff so it makes for a great night out. Get a taxi home and split the cost between your friends and it isn't expensive.

Alright awesome!! I just haven't been there and really heard much from it. Its my first choice :biggrin:.
Reply 4
Original post by Nikkuro
Alright awesome!! I just haven't been there and really heard much from it. Its my first choice :biggrin:.

Ah, that's awesome. I'm sure you'd enjoy it here. Good luck. :wink:
Reply 5
I'm currently at MMU and hopefully transferring next year.
So technically I'm a fresher all over again!
Reply 6
anyone know anything about cosmopolitan tramways? cant find anything about it. it's the one next to IQ. Just wondering what the social scene is like or is it quiet. thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by chelevi
anyone know anything about cosmopolitan tramways? cant find anything about it. it's the one next to IQ. Just wondering what the social scene is like or is it quiet. thanks

Hey. I don't know much about Cosmo but apparently the rooms there are really nice. However, I think it's mostly second years. I did see quite a few freshers on facebook saying they were bored at cosmo, lol.
Reply 8
helloo
i am a non fresher (im in my 3rd year atm but doing a year abroad)

night life isnt good at on campus
but it doesnt need to be - you can walk into manchester (although i would never reccommend doin it in heels) or just get the train which stops at all the main going out places anywhos (deansgate/oxford road) and you can switch to get to fallowfields etc

as for accom
do NOT get horlock or constantine or which ever one is atcually properly on the uni grounds
they're horrible and have been robbed once or twice

people quite like irwell but you wont get any sleep and its not v close to uni

iq and cosmo are sposed to be very nice but very quite and very expensive - and walking between them and uni is a mission

brammall/mattias whatever thye're called are just disgsting apparently

i lived in john lester/eddie coleman
for 2 years - its not bad
the people who run it will drive you insane
but its very social and close to campus n the train station and also very close to tiny shopping complex with a tescos n things
its reasonably clean too
and theres a free gym downstairs
and bball court
and some tv rooms
as for the social scene in the evenings the people who run the place put events on in the evening
and in the summer everyone hangs out on the grass between the two buildings and they do bbqs and stuff
the worst bit is defs the people who run the place though - they just really dont give a crap cos hey we're all stupid students who are high and pissed at all times... :angry:
Reply 9
Original post by k3ro

Constantine - i don't know much about this one.. It's on-campus and ensuite so that'd be pretty sweet. It's close to Castle Irwell though so idk how much that influences it. But I can see it being quieter.

posted my post
then read the thread
hello fellow ec/jl person lol :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by minniiee
posted my post
then read the thread
hello fellow ec/jl person lol :smile:

Haha, hey! JL here.
I don't think the people that run it are so bad though. I mean, they're always doing events and stuff. But one of the guys at reception... Yeah, he's a nob. :P
Reply 11
Original post by k3ro
Haha, hey! JL here.
I don't think the people that run it are so bad though. I mean, they're always doing events and stuff. But one of the guys at reception... Yeah, he's a nob. :P

yeh i meant the reception people
they drive me crazy
the rest are mostly students anywhos...
are you 1st year atm?
Reply 12
yeh i meant the reception people
they drive me crazy
the rest are mostly students anywhos...
are you 1st year atm?

Yeah. Some of them are okay. But the bald guy is mean haha. :tongue:
Yah i'm only a first year. Will probably end up in JL again for my 4th year though.
Reply 13
Original post by k3ro
Yeah. Some of them are okay. But the bald guy is mean haha. :tongue:
Yah i'm only a first year. Will probably end up in JL again for my 4th year though.

you're doign 4 years too? snap lol

ahah yeh that guy is just painfullyy slow too
you wait till the summer everyone sits on the lawn and does bbqs :smile: allthough alll you can smell is weed lol
Reply 14
you're doign 4 years too? snap lol

ahah yeh that guy is just painfullyy slow too
you wait till the summer everyone sits on the lawn and does bbqs :smile: allthough alll you can smell is weed lol

Lol I'm looking forward to the summer BBQs.

Yeah my course is 4 years. First year in JL, second year in house with friends, third year in America.. And I'll probably be in JL for my 4th year because I think the majority of my friends are doing 3 year courses. Unless they do placement years, then maybe a house again hah.
Reply 15
Original post by k3ro
Lol I'm looking forward to the summer BBQs.

Yeah my course is 4 years. First year in JL, second year in house with friends, third year in America.. And I'll probably be in JL for my 4th year because I think the majority of my friends are doing 3 year courses. Unless they do placement years, then maybe a house again hah.

america???
awesome :smile:
im going back to jl next year :smile:
mostly cos looking for a house when you live 200 miles away is EFFORT lol
Reply 16
america???
awesome :smile:
im going back to jl next year :smile:
mostly cos looking for a house when you live 200 miles away is EFFORT lol

Lol yeah, physics with studies in america. WOO.

I thought i might end up in JL again but my friends were all up for getting a house. It only actually took us a week to get it sorted. It'll be a longer walk in the mornings but i'm just happy i'll be saving money. :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by k3ro
Lol yeah, physics with studies in america. WOO.

I thought i might end up in JL again but my friends were all up for getting a house. It only actually took us a week to get it sorted. It'll be a longer walk in the mornings but i'm just happy i'll be saving money. :tongue:

you'll be saving money even with billss etc??
:O totally wish i had soemoen to shar with now!

and ahah that sounds pretty awesome!
Reply 18
you'll be saving money even with billss etc??
:O totally wish i had soemoen to shar with now!

and ahah that sounds pretty awesome!

Yeah, it's 55 per week and 65 with bills included. Atm it's 83 so saves quite a bit per week.. Plus I hear JL is increasing price soon? Or actually that might've been IQ. I forgot. :s-smilie:

Did none of your friends want to live in a house?
Reply 19
Original post by k3ro
Yeah, it's 55 per week and 65 with bills included. Atm it's 83 so saves quite a bit per week.. Plus I hear JL is increasing price soon? Or actually that might've been IQ. I forgot. :s-smilie:

Did none of your friends want to live in a house?

well they better not!!
they kepe changin everything it's driving me crazy!
you know im my yr 1 the cleaners cleaned your flat!
do they still do that thing where the cleaners come in and makr your clean-ness??

well most of them were either living at home or staying in halls or had already sorted one out with other people so
but i made a lot of friends at jl on my seocnd year so i didnt mind :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending