The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zoni
I understand that the offers for the Irish universities (CAO system) come out after the A level results in August

Unless you allready have your results and just need to add your HPAT?
Anyone else yet to hear post-interview? I'm assuming now that all offers have gone just curious if anyone else is in the same position?
Reply 2442
Yep - still waiting here too.
Reply 2443
Original post by joemullally
I thought HPAT results come out after easter and we hear back then.

sorry naw i mean is there anyone else from ireland thats heard from glasgow
hey guys, i was unsuccessful with all of my medicine aapplications this year, was just wondering, reapps and post grads, would you recommend that i study anatomy, or take a gap year?? and also, has anyone else gone away with gapmedics? thanks x
Original post by krollinson
hey guys, i was unsuccessful with all of my medicine aapplications this year, was just wondering, reapps and post grads, would you recommend that i study anatomy, or take a gap year?? and also, has anyone else gone away with gapmedics? thanks x

gap year definitely!
Reply 2446

Gap year and have another go. If your unsuccessful again then try another course nag go down the grad route
Reply 2447

Gap year and re apply, definitely! I think taking a year out definitely improves your confidence and makes you more mature.
Ask for feedback from your universities first so you can work on the weak points of your application and concentrate on your exams to get the grades you need for medicine, obviously. Also last year, on the A level results days, I called all universities up to see if they had any medical places left and UEA gave me an interview....which I majorly bombed but in a way I'm glad because Glasgow and Newcastle are the universities that are much better suited for me.
During my gap year, I did more voluntary work, such as Vitalise which I recommend everyone to do, I worked as a healthcare assistant and I'm raising money for Scope to trek Kilimanjaro. I didn't do the gap medics but someone I know did it and they absolutely enjoyed it so if you have the money spend it but I think that maybe it would look better if you got a job in the healthcare field as it gives you an insight into how hospitals run and financial independence....you could save up the money from your job to fund the gap medic trip as well which would look better.
Original post by Meggles
Gap year and re apply, definitely! I think taking a year out definitely improves your confidence and makes you more mature.
Ask for feedback from your universities first so you can work on the weak points of your application and concentrate on your exams to get the grades you need for medicine, obviously. Also last year, on the A level results days, I called all universities up to see if they had any medical places left and UEA gave me an interview....which I majorly bombed but in a way I'm glad because Glasgow and Newcastle are the universities that are much better suited for me.

Hmmm that little bit is debatable. I've almost definitely not become more mature, but I've learnt how to act more mature which came in useful for interviews :wink: :laugh:

but yeah gap year and reapply! wooo :biggrin:
Reply 2449
So is Glasgow planning on having another open day for medicine offer holders? I'm soooo confused as to where to go so I would quite like to visit the uni again. The last time I had a proper look was the open day in 2010.
Reply 2450
Original post by Braddd
So is Glasgow planning on having another open day for medicine offer holders? I'm soooo confused as to where to go so I would quite like to visit the uni again. The last time I had a proper look was the open day in 2010.

Same!
Ugh, feeling like utter dirt, waiting for tomorrow, the last day that Glasgow will send out its rejections. Such a long, drawn out miasmal process will come to an end, with a final rejection on the final rejection day...

Commiserations to everyone who has been rejected so far or who is waiting, like me, to be rejected tomorrow.

Congratulations to everyone who has got an acceptance, especially to the many of you that have been through this already (re appliers and graduates), I admire your perseverance, well done.
Original post by Braddd

Well, when I helped the other day the woman who ran it said they would probably have another in c. 2 weeks time. Sure they will email/letter if they do run one.
Reply 2453
Original post by sweetchilli
Well, when I helped the other day the woman who ran it said they would probably have another in c. 2 weeks time. Sure they will email/letter if they do run one.

Oh well that's good. I didn't really want to go to the one this week in case I didn't even get an offer.

If you hear anything being said about it then can you let us know? Thanks.
Rejection. Oh well. LIFEGOESON. :smile:
Original post by baztech
Still waiting to hear... And I'm a scottish graduate reapplicant. Not looking good :frown: WHY DO BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE.

I really hope you get an offer:smile:
Reply 2456
Did anyone get offers yesterday?
seems like tues/weds were offers and thurs/fri is rejection day :frown:
Reply 2457
hey, does anybody know of any successful irish applicants (who would have qualified for no fees in scotland) i was rejected yesterday and just cant get my head around it as the interview seemed to go so well and all the other irish applicants i know have also been rejected.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by -claire
hey, does anybody know of any successful irish applicants (who would have qualified for no fees in scotland) i was rejected yesterday and just cant get my head around it as the interview seemed to go so well and all the other irish applicants i know have also been rejected.

Exactly my thoughts yesterday on seeing everyone Irish on TSR get rejected yesterday, and I heard of a few more outside TSR. It would be very disappointing if Glasgow were to discriminate against Irish students for that reason, but hopefully we will hear of some Irish people with offers from Glasgow so that we can put that one to bed. There are usually loads (in previous years).

Hope you have something else to fall back on, Claire.
Reply 2459
Original post by Joannasmum
Exactly my thoughts yesterday on seeing everyone Irish on TSR get rejected yesterday, and I heard of a few more outside TSR. It would be very disappointing if Glasgow were to discriminate against Irish students for that reason, but hopefully we will hear of some Irish people with offers from Glasgow so that we can put that one to bed. There are usually loads (in previous years).

Hope you have something else to fall back on, Claire.

The NI Glasgow applicants I know have likewise been rejected. Haven't heard of any offers yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending