Scroll to see replies

Original post by Slumpy
After a little bit of work, I'm guessing at

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 3641
Original post by TheMagicMan

Spoiler

Boom! Part ii will be attempted tomorrow...
Original post by Slumpy
After a little bit of work, I'm guessing at

Spoiler

I have a simple proof that the value must be 2 or below, only a couple of line for ii.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3643
Original post by Blutooth
I have a simple proof that the value must be 2 or below, only a couple of line for ii.

Post it up? I get the feeling you can argue in a similar way to what I did before, but it's not hugely elegant.
Reply 3644

Have to finish couple of things these days, so I'm half missing. :tongue:

Looking at that, considering the optimality of B and the number of quantities, I reckon it is fairly easy to build a geometric progression?
You can easily build a symmetry so that B doesn't have a choice, and then every consecutive turn A does not have a choice.

So, if you start with 1/21/2, next you have 1/41/4... hence, general term Sn=12nS_n = 1 - 2^{-n} and the limit of that is 1.
Therefore, taking into account the final turn, all values below 2 can be obtained.

For part two, I'm getting some strange series. Would you reckon you get a lower value for xx than 2?

If so, I can try to find something about the third part, but I have to finish few pages of a coursework before that tonight. :tongue: And to EAT - always forget that. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by gff
Have to finish couple of things these days, so I'm half missing. :tongue:

Looking at that, considering the optimality of B and the number of quantities, I reckon it is fairly easy to build a geometric progression?
You can easily build a symmetry so that B doesn't have a choice, and then every consecutive turn A does not have a choice.

So, if you start with 1/21/2, next you have 1/41/4... hence, general term Sn=12nS_n = 1 - 2^{-n} and the limit of that is 1.
Therefore, taking into account the final turn, all values below 2 can be obtained.

For part two, I'm getting some strange series. Would you reckon you get a lower value for xx than 2?

If so, I can try to find something about the third part, but I have to finish few pages of a coursework before that tonight. :tongue: And to EAT - always forget that. :biggrin:

On the 5 quantity one the maximum value is at least what it is on the 4 quantity one as you can play the same strategy ignoring one quantity if you want
On the 5 quantity one the maximum value is at least what it is on the 4 quantity one as you can play the same strategy ignoring one quantity if you want

Part ii) is proving rather tricky to prove. Though I can show for part 2 that the x must be less than 2.25. Still can't home in on the 2.

for an even number n, i think the highest value you can get for x is 1+ 1/2 +1/3 +1/4+....+1/(n/2) +1/2
or if the number is odd 1+1/2+1/3+...+1/((n-1)/2) +1/2

Can't prove this is the highest though, though looking at the method I can sort of see why this number should be the highest, ie at each step you are focusing on filling fewerpots and at the same time minimising the amount of water thrown out by the thrower until you have one pot remaining.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello, what is meant differentiate with respect to x, does that mean calculate when dy/dx = 0?

Original post by raheem94
Reply 3648
Original post by King-Panther
Hello, what is meant differentiate with respect to x, does that mean calculate when dy/dx = 0?

If your yy is given by y=f(x)y = f(x), then it simply asks you to find dydx\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}. You would equate dydx\displaystyle\frac{dy}{dx} to zero in order to find stationary points -- i.e. local minima or maxima.

y=x2+3x \displaystyle y = x^2 + 3x

If you are said to differentiate the above equation with respect to 'x', then you need to find dy/dx.

dydx=2x+3 \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = 2x+3

You still look to be confused about that turning points concept.

When you are asked to find the turning points, then you need to first find the dy/dx (i.e. differentiate the 'y' expression with respect to 'x') and then make dy/dx equal to zero.
y=x2+3x \displaystyle y = x^2 + 3x

If you are said to differentiate the above equation with respect to 'x', then you need to find dy/dx.

dydx=2x+3 \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = 2x+3

You still look to be confused about that turning points concept.

When you are asked to find the turning points, then you need to first find the dy/dx (i.e. differentiate the 'y' expression with respect to 'x') and then make dy/dx equal to zero.

Original post by gff

O.k, so I differentiate to find x?

The equation is y=x^1/2(8+x)
(edited 11 years ago)
O.k, so I differentiate to find x?

Can you tell me which question are you talking about?
Can you tell me which question are you talking about?

This is the equation, what does the question asks you to find? What is the complete question?
This is the equation, what does the question asks you to find? What is the complete question?

differentiate with respect to x

i got, dy/dx=(4x^-1/2)+(3/2x^1/2)
differentiate with respect to x

i got, dy/dx=(4x^-1/2)+(3/2x^1/2)

Yes, you did it correctly and got the correct answer :smile:.

What would I sub in to get 0? Or do I not have to do that??

Thats the piece of work I'm doing, for future reference.
What would I sub in to get 0? Or do I not have to do that??

I have seen the microsoft word file. You question is done, you don't need to do anything further.
I have seen the microsoft word file. You question is done, you don't need to do anything further.

The next question, I got dy/dx = 12x + 5

So when gradient is 13, I did

13 = 12x + 5

which is x = 2/3

I dont understand Q)15.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply