The Student Room Group

Best UK university for a MA in Translation and or Interpreting?

Hello everyone!

I'm interested in pursuing a masters in Translation as soon as I'm done with my BA. I've heard about several universities that offer Translation programs in the UK. However, I don't know which one I should go to (IF I get accepted to any, of course).

I want to know which university you consider the best in terms of:
-The uni helping you enter the EU job market (I'm an overseas student)
-A good social life during the year that the MA takes to complete
-The university's reputation around the globe

Thank you very much! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by vmaravi
Hello everyone!

I'm interested in pursuing a masters in Translation as soon as I'm done with my BA. I've heard about several universities that offer Translation programs in the UK. However, I don't know which one I should go to (IF I get accepted to any, of course).

I want to know which university you consider the best in terms of:
-The uni helping you enter the EU job market (I'm an overseas student)
-The university's reputation around the globe

Thank you very much! :biggrin:

University of Leeds have some good programmes - http://www.leeds.ac.uk/cts/en/index.htm

University of Westminster and University of Bath have some as well.

Failing those, and if you want to go abroad for some 2 year programmes, you should check out the schools in Paris and Geneva
Reply 2
Hey! Thanks for the reply. I e-mailed people at Bath and they replied saying you have to be native in English and, unfortunately, I'm not :frown:. I'd heard about Westminster's reputation, and I'm gonna look through Leeds' Webpage.
Thank you!
Reply 3
Yes, those three mentioned are the best in the UK but there are several other ones that are also recognised by employers and the EU Commission. Have a look at this.

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/translation/programmes/emt/universities/index_en.htm#uk

What are your languages?
Reply 4
Spanish (native), English and intermediate French, but I'm working on it!

Thank you!:smile:
:smile: this topic is very useful thanx :colondollar:
Reply 6

Sorry but I couldn't help smiling a little at this. Having just completed a one-year Masters, my social life was non-existant! If I wasn't studying/researching/writing, I was asleep. Just a heads-up on that one :smile:

ETA: Ah - this is a resurrected zombie thread. Oh well...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
:smile::smile::smile::smile:
Reply 8
Hi i know it's 2 years to late but i wanted to ask the same question
i am an international student pursuing an MA in translation and interpretation my languages are ( arabic-english) OR ( arabic-english-French)
So far i've narrowed down my options to :
1-Durham university
2-Leeds( AR-ENG-FR)
3-surrey
4-Manchester
5-Heriotwatt

Can someone plz HELP ME !!!!! ( in terms of education accommodation and social life)
Reply 9
Original post by maia94
Hi i know it's 2 years to late but i wanted to ask the same question
i am an international student pursuing an MA in translation and interpretation my languages are ( arabic-english) OR ( arabic-english-French)
So far i've narrowed down my options to :
1-Durham university
2-Leeds( AR-ENG-FR)
3-surrey
4-Manchester
5-Heriotwatt

Can someone plz HELP ME !!!!! ( in terms of education accommodation and social life)

You are pursuing and you want to change uni or?
Reply 10
Original post by tianqi
You are pursuing and you want to change uni or?

Pursuing for next year
hello, I am going to start a MA in translation and interpreting (ITA- ENG), can anyone tell me if among the best universities there's still Westminster?
Hi people, anybody have an opinion or some advice to give about the translation, interpreting and subtitling MA at Essex?
I'm a law student in France and I'm going to start applying for interpreting and/or translation MAs in the UK, and I was wondering what Essex was like.
Cheers :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Hi, I am unable to tell you much about that course as I am an undergraduate Management and Marketing student at Essex uni. However, this website should be able to help you out, it is Essex uni's course finder http://www.essex.ac.uk/coursefinder/.

Essex is a great place to live and study, I am from Essex as well as study there so I have lived in Essex all my life. The campus itself is very friendly and lively with lots of events going on so you will never be bored. Everything you need is on the campus, such as shops, restaurants, cafes, bars, a night club, post office, stationary shop and more! The main big supermarket is about 15 minutes walk away and the town centre is accessible by bus. If you have any other questions about Essex or the uni itself, feel free to ask! :smile: ^Sam
Original post by sam.m1
Hi, I am unable to tell you much about that course as I am an undergraduate Management and Marketing student at Essex uni. However, this website should be able to help you out, it is Essex uni's course finder http://www.essex.ac.uk/coursefinder/.

Essex is a great place to live and study, I am from Essex as well as study there so I have lived in Essex all my life. The campus itself is very friendly and lively with lots of events going on so you will never be bored. Everything you need is on the campus, such as shops, restaurants, cafes, bars, a night club, post office, stationary shop and more! The main big supermarket is about 15 minutes walk away and the town centre is accessible by bus. If you have any other questions about Essex or the uni itself, feel free to ask! :smile: ^Sam

Thanks! I'll take note of that, sounds good! :smile: I'm hoping to get into Swansea or Edinburgh, but Essex is on the list too ^^
Reply 15
hello guys! is there anybody who wants to apply to MA course in translation? (I've been studying japanese) I'd like to enroll the metropolitan university of london or soas university, but the living costs are too high...can anybody tell me your experiences in other universities? some advices can be very helpful!
The new MA in Translation at Lancaster University is a good option.

Much cheaper living costs than London, but it is a great course in a good university.
Reply 17
Original post by Freddo1994
The new MA in Translation at Lancaster University is a good option.

Much cheaper living costs than London, but it is a great course in a good university.

Thanks! Unfortunally they haven't a course in japanese-english translation... :frown:
hey i know i'm 4 years too late (i guess you might be done by now) but i'm also an international student looking for an MA in interpretation and my languages are Arabic, French and English. i'm a bit lost in terms of choosing the right uni so any advice would be very helpful!
I'm in your shoes! Anyone know about what the Translation MA at Goldsmiths, Westminster, or London Met's like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending