The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Aconcernedparent
The appearance of men and women from the same races tend to be similar. I.e. in some areas of the world, both men and women are tall, short, generally petite, dark-skinned, light-skinned, have certain features etc.
The Western ideal of today tend to favour tall men, yet not consider height so important for females. Which means that in certain countries where everybody are short, the women will be 'more attractive' than the men. Just one example.
It's a matter of personal opinion also. I don't personally find the women from the countries you mentioned that attractive. Also, they tend to have more body hair in certain countries which I find okay for men (with certain limitations), yet not for females. There are some girls at my school with some serious monobrows...

I agree with you in essence. The Western ideal of beauty for men is the Mesomorph body type, i.e large bone structure, large muscles, a naturally athletic physique. However, my perception is that most Asian men are ectomorphs or endomorphs. Hence they are deemed as less good-looking by people who have Western ideals of beauty.
Body hair is another Western ideal thing. Women are supposed to have hair only on their head and nowhere else in this mentality. But hang on, some women naturally have hair on their body, arms etc as well. There's nothing un-feminine about it.

Beauty, or rather what is deemed as beautiful, is to a certain extent a societal construct. Maybe before the Europeans colonized Africa and imposed their ideals, black men didn't care particularly for slender women. Nowadays, my black friends all prefer women with a slim figure. Few black girls around here have that slim figure.

Symmetry (which leads to beauty, by the way) is something we have an innate appreciation for. Facial symmetry, for example, indicates how healthy you are, or how healthy your life has been when you were younger. Do you think race affects facial symmetry? I don't. Therefore, I don't think one can say that some races have better looking women than men.
Original post by Shivaji
I agree with you in essence. The Western ideal of beauty for men is the Mesomorph body type, i.e large bone structure, large muscles, a naturally athletic physique. However, my perception is that most Asian men are ectomorphs or endomorphs. Hence they are deemed as less good-looking by people who have Western ideals of beauty.
Body hair is another Western ideal thing. Women are supposed to have hair only on their head and nowhere else in this mentality. But hang on, some women naturally have hair on their body, arms etc as well. There's nothing un-feminine about it.

Beauty, or rather what is deemed as beautiful, is to a certain extent a societal construct. Maybe before the Europeans colonized Africa and imposed their ideals, black men didn't care particularly for slender women. Nowadays, my black friends all prefer women with a slim figure. Few black girls around here have that slim figure.

Symmetry (which leads to beauty, by the way) is something we have an innate appreciation for. Facial symmetry, for example, indicates how healthy you are, or how healthy your life has been when you were younger. Do you think race affects facial symmetry? I don't. Therefore, I don't think one can say that some races have better looking women than men.

I think race CAN affect facial symmetry actually. I've noticed orientals in general have very symmetrical faces. Other races less so. Esp. us South Asians :tongue:
Reply 22
It's because being white is a sign of high status, all other things being equal. Women can be of any status as long as they're hot.

Aren't South Asians hairier? Not great for a woman. I don't find them hot.

Black women aren't highly valued however, which I can't rationalise.

Personally I prefer white, then black, then East Asian, then South Asian, then Hispanic, then Arab
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
Slavic girls for example: (Russians, Ukrainians, Poles, Serbians etc) while russian boys are not that attractive. We can say vice versa about British! :smile: sorry to be honest!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by IndianDancer
I think race CAN affect facial symmetry actually. I've noticed orientals in general have very symmetrical faces. Other races less so. Esp. us South Asians :tongue:

Really? Is that so? I'm not sure... So does that mean South Asians/ Indians enjoy better health than other races? Or does that put into question the correlation between facial symmetry and health?
Original post by Shivaji
Really? Is that so? I'm not sure... So does that mean South Asians/ Indians enjoy better health than other races? Or does that put into question the correlation between facial symmetry and health?

I didn't know there was any correlation between facial symmetry and health. So is it like....if your face isn't symmetrical you are more healthy? Haha doesn't make sense. I'm pretty sure East Asians enjoy better health than us and they have more symmetrical faces than us so maybe there is a correlation? I dunno LOL :tongue:
Reply 26
http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/f/facial_symmetry.htm

Original post by IndianDancer
I didn't know there was any correlation between facial symmetry and health. So is it like....if your face isn't symmetrical you are more healthy? Haha doesn't make sense. I'm pretty sure East Asians enjoy better health than us and they have more symmetrical faces than us so maybe there is a correlation? I dunno LOL :tongue:

What I meant was: if your face is symmetrical, you're more healthy. Also, why do people continuously use terms like 'South Asian', 'East Asian' to talk about the different types of Asians? Say Indian when you mean Indian, say Thai when you mean them, please! Avoid confusion!
I don't know, the cheltenham festival tends to be full of munters. :dontknow:
Persians....their women....

Their men, meh.
(edited 12 years ago)
A lot of these statements regarding one gender of a race or nationality being ugly have political roots. It is common for Japanese men to say they find Chinese women attractive and Chinese men unattractive (thus alluding to the idea of being willing to 'conquer' their women and chastise their ugly men).
People on TSR really love race arguments.
Original post by Dux_Helvetica
A lot of these statements regarding one gender of a race or nationality being ugly have political roots. It is common for Japanese men to say they find Chinese women attractive and Chinese men unattractive (thus alluding to the idea of being willing to 'conquer' their women and chastise their ugly men).

I don't think so. Some physical characteristics shared by both sexes can look better in one than another.

For East Asians, for example, the slender build is clearly more suited to women, whreas in black people, the facial features, hair and skin colour are much more suited to a male. That's why black males get white women but black women don't do well with white men.
This also clearly leads on to other, non-physical characteristics, like confidence, presence etc, which are attractive in males but annoying in females. A black man has "swag", whereas a black woman is just loud and irritating.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
I don't think so. Some physical characteristics shared by both sexes can look better in one than another.

For East Asians, for example, the slender build is clearly more suited to women, whreas in black people, the facial features, hair and skin colour are much more suited to a male. That's why black males get white women but black women don't do well with white men.
This also clearly leads on to other, non-physical characteristics, like confidence, presence etc, which are attractive in males but annoying in females. A black man has "swag", whereas a black woman is just loud and irritating.

No, just no :facepalm2:

When people date other races they usually have a racial stereotype in mind. Black men play the 'gangsta' for white women who find some odd exhilaration out the experience. Some white men may like the perceived submissiveness and domestic obedience of Asian women.
For a man he has to be tall, muscular and have strong facial features to be handsome, for a woman she has to be delicate, short and have softer facial features. With Asian girls both kind fit this description, whilst with the men they have rounder faces, shorter, etc do they are more feminine looking than white/black men, by which i mean there are a lot of male korean models that are used as girl models-the girls can't look that masculine whereas the males could, if it wasn't for the hairiness.

With white people and black people it's the opposite, males look masculine and females are less feminine looking than asian girls, e.g. stronger facial features, taller, less rounder faces, etc. But girls can mask it with make-up to make them look more feminine whilst asian MEN can't, since they are men.

women can use make-up to look more feminine:

race examples (all of them are beautiful obviously):
Reply 35
Original post by CastleRose47
For example IMO South Asian (Indian, Pakistani etc) girls and East Asian (China, Japan) girls are waaay more attractive than their male counterparts. Like...yes ofcourse there are attractive guys of that race too but they're a lot more rare. With Caucasians I'd say its pretty much equal. Why is this? Does anyone agree with this?

EDIT: just making it clear again that this is just MY opinion. I am in no way stating "Asian girls are better looking than Asian guys" as a fact. :smile:

"I think that X is true. Why is X true?"
WOW, the black woman looks the best...
Was referring to South Asian, obviously.
I find Chinese girls alright-looking, but never beautiful. There is that rare exception of Lucy Liu appearance, but all over, they never stand out. For men, it's usually something you're really into or not.
A true beauty, IMO, is someone like Charlize Theron or Natalie Portman.

lol, for me it's the opposite i've never found them exceptionally beautiful. In my opinion girls like Jessica Alba, Aishwarya Rai, Adriana Lima, Jessica White, Tyra Banks, Priyanka Chopra, chae jung ahn, emily didonato and Kim Ah Joong are the epitome of beauty. :wink: (i could list more, but gotta get back to hmk)
I think a lot of it is to do with certain cultures expecting women to look after themselves and relying on their looks even though the men don't do much. As a Chinese person, I've heard many times about women obsessing over looks because they think they won't find husbands if they don't. I personally think they're a little paranoid because I don't think all men can be that shallow, but that mentality does seem to drive women into trying to look good while men are happy with the way they already are and don't put in much effort.
Reply 39
A true beauty, IMO, is someone like Charlize Theron

meh

Persians....their women....dafuq

Their men, meh.

Definitely agree about their women :sogood:

Latest

Trending

Trending