The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4020
GB (Swift and Geraint) not doing great in the Madison. :frown:

I stand corrected. GB gained a lap and even the commentators missed it!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4021
Original post by Roobsa
GB (Swift and Geraint) not doing great in the Madison. :frown:

I stand corrected. GB gained a lap and even the commentators missed it!

Haha lol! Are they the only pair to be a lap up?

Meanwhile in PR, they just passed through Arenberg. Greipel and Hincapie punctured and are out of the peloton.
Reply 4022
Original post by v2p
Haha lol! Are they the only pair to be a lap up?

Meanwhile in PR, they just passed through Arenberg. Greipel and Hincapie punctured and are out of the peloton.

No, Belgium, Australia and Holland were up a lap as well. We got silver in the end, Belgium gold and the Aussies bronze. Kenny got promoted to bronze in the Kierin too. \o/

Watching PR now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4023
I want Boonen to stay out and get caught really late on, opening it up for EBH to win the sprint :biggrin:
Reply 4024
Boonen vs Team Sky.
YES Boonen :biggrin:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a cheapish road bike for London (cheap in case it gets stolen), and was wondering if anyone has any input on this.

Someone I know recommended this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vittesse-Sprint-21-speed-Alloy-Racing/dp/B003DZ15CQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1QN941R7DVKWY&colid=3SLCGDX23JQI6

And it has pretty mixed reviews. I'm not expecting the best bike in the world, but maybe it would be worth spending a bit of money on something that will last a bit longer.

Also, if anyone has any input on some D locks (or others), that would be greatly appreciated, too.

I'm also not limited to buying a new bike online, but it might be easier than picking something up off somewhere like ebay.

Budget around the same price as this (~£160), though can go higher if it's... worth it.

Thanks.
Original post by Roobsa
Feorstermann's thighs are a fair bit bigger than Hoys from what I saw on Eurosport earlier but yeah, Hoy is still that little bit better.

On another note, who's excited for this?

Yes I was there and actually have a few photo's of the riders taking to their bikes.
My French girlfriend was not amused that I wanted to get up so early to travel from inner Paris to Compiegne which is really nowhere near Paris!

In fact, my thinking is that if they call this Paris Roubaix, why not call it Paris Lille? Yes, yes I know it got changed, but still - change the name to Compiegne-Roubaix.

Anyway, I have 10€ on a Boonen win with another 2€ on Boonen and Gallan finishing top 2 - which I lost, just.

That only got me 40€ return which was enough to pay for my Gras de Boeuf et de Foi (Foi Gras and Steak basically and not a pint of Heineken! :angry:) - French food and drink prices are totally unreasonable.

But anyway - Boonen is fantastic! Crazy brilliant. He won't win anything else this year so he's ripping up the Spring Classics instead :biggrin:

Does anyone do the Fantasy Cycling on Road.cc?
Original post by Roobsa

Enders, Foerstermann, Nimke.

Class photo. Too much for me; but what do we expect from them trying to achieve 70kmh+ at the finish after continuing to do 60kmh+ for the 1km through headwind before that?
Hello, I'm 15 and I got a new bike not so long ago and I want to start riding again after not riding for years (my bike got stolen :frown: ).

However I have a quick question, after being off my bike for so long I have lost a bit of my confidence in riding and being on the roads so would it be better to just get back onto pretty busy roads and learn at speed and jump in at the deep end, or as I live in a pretty hilly area with lots of quiet country roads should I go on those first and work myself up? The only thing stopping me going on country roads is fast drivers trying to run me off the road, or am I just over-thinking things?

So should I go onto the big-ish road (A road btw) or should I work my way up starting with country roads ect?

Thanks for any help!
Reply 4030
Original post by harrybithell196
Hello, I'm 15 and I got a new bike not so long ago and I want to start riding again after not riding for years (my bike got stolen :frown: ).

However I have a quick question, after being off my bike for so long I have lost a bit of my confidence in riding and being on the roads so would it be better to just get back onto pretty busy roads and learn at speed and jump in at the deep end, or as I live in a pretty hilly area with lots of quiet country roads should I go on those first and work myself up? The only thing stopping me going on country roads is fast drivers trying to run me off the road, or am I just over-thinking things?

So should I go onto the big-ish road (A road btw) or should I work my way up starting with country roads ect?

Thanks for any help!

Do you have any quietish roads on a housing estate that you could work your way up with and then venture towards a town centre?
Wear a helmet if you do go out and tell someone where you are going if you are going out alone.
Go out during quieter times to avoid the worst of the traffic.

By an A road do you mean a dual carriageway, or a single carriageway with a 60mph limit? If so definitely avoid them if they are busy, especially dual carriageways!
Original post by dhr90
Do you have any quietish roads on a housing estate that you could work your way up with and then venture towards a town centre?
Wear a helmet if you do go out and tell someone where you are going if you are going out alone.
Go out during quieter times to avoid the worst of the traffic.

By an A road do you mean a dual carriageway, or a single carriageway with a 60mph limit? If so definitely avoid them if they are busy, especially dual carriageways!

Hm, I think I could find some quietish roads probably in my area and yeah I will always wear a helmet and use my lights if the visibility is low/poor. The A road I'm talking about is a single carrigeway. I don't think the speed limit is 60mph I think it is closer to 40mph. However it would be very weird for anyone to actually get that sort of speed as it is always really busy.

Thankyou for your help!
Reply 4032
Original post by harrybithell196
Hm, I think I could find some quietish roads probably in my area and yeah I will always wear a helmet and use my lights if the visibility is low/poor. The A road I'm talking about is a single carrigeway. I don't think the speed limit is 60mph I think it is closer to 40mph. However it would be very weird for anyone to actually get that sort of speed as it is always really busy.

Thankyou for your help!

Do you see cyclists on that road often? Roughly where do you live? We have people from all over on here so they might know of somewhere near you good to build your confidence back up.
Original post by dhr90
Do you see cyclists on that road often? Roughly where do you live? We have people from all over on here so they might know of somewhere near you good to build your confidence back up.

I live in Darwen so like east Lancashire and yes I do. I often see cyclists going up and down it, I think I just need to get out there and find somewhere that works for me. At this rate I'm just wasting good weather haha.
Original post by Roobsa
If you do anything today watch the Kierin final. Chris Hoy does the most insane dive to the inside on the final bend.

pretty incredible really. Wonder what speed he was travelling at, at the time??

Getting closer to the TdF and the Olympics. This summer is going to be awesome in terms of sport.

Got French Open coming up, Stella Artois, Wimbledon, Euros, Olympic Games. I reckon there will be some damage to the economy this summer with people pulling sickies!

Just finished a 20 mile ride. Great scenic route, combining hills, flats and some nice downhill sections. Apparently cycling past a property of Mario Balotelli, according to a fellow cyclist. Quite some wealth in parts of Cheshire.
hey guys thought this would be the best place to put this. i've seen a claud butler milano on gumtree going for a cheap price and i was looking at buying it. the frame size is 48cm, and i'm 6 foot. i know this frame size is a little small but how much difference would it make? i have never owned a road bike before, pretty looking for something nice to ride to uni everyday and the odd long ride on the weekends.
Original post by krazzie_ammo
hey guys thought this would be the best place to put this. i've seen a claud butler milano on gumtree going for a cheap price and i was looking at buying it. the frame size is 48cm, and i'm 6 foot. i know this frame size is a little small but how much difference would it make? i have never owned a road bike before, pretty looking for something nice to ride to uni everyday and the odd long ride on the weekends.

Hey.

I'm 6ft 2 and ride a 58cm frame if that helps. I think you would be looking at 54cm+ frame sizes. :smile:
Original post by Irishguy2K10
Hey.

I'm 6ft 2 and ride a 58cm frame if that helps. I think you would be looking at 54cm+ frame sizes. :smile:

thanks man. i was more wondering what difference it would make if i bought a smaller frame?
Reply 4038
It would be uncomfortable more than anything, and would place too much tension on knee's and joints etc. I would assume.
Original post by Roobsa
On another note, who's excited for this?

As much as I'd love to say yes... I am saying no as the Belgians keep winning :colonhash:

Latest