The Student Room Group

clearing

can someone help me, looking for places just in case I don't make my offer and I'm wondering which number of the university we need to call? I want to write down a portfolio of choices with the numbers next to them so I stand a good chance, any help?
Leading up to clearing, pages on each uni's website will appear which are dedicated to clearing, and they'll show which courses have vacancies and what numbers to call.

I wouldn't bother making a list until the clearing lists are up though, you don't know which unis are going to have spaces left. The clearing list appears the night before results day (at least it did when I applied a few years ago), make your list then, with all the numbers on it - that's what I did, and I just went off the list when it came to it.
Reply 2
Original post by heyimbored
Leading up to clearing, pages on each uni's website will appear which are dedicated to clearing, and they'll show which courses have vacancies and what numbers to call.

I wouldn't bother making a list until the clearing lists are up though, you don't know which unis are going to have spaces left. The clearing list appears the night before results day (at least it did when I applied a few years ago), make your list then, with all the numbers on it - that's what I did, and I just went off the list when it came to it.

ahhh really? was hoping to just make a list and be really prepared, thanks for the info :smile:
Original post by pshewitt1
ahhh really? was hoping to just make a list and be really prepared, thanks for the info :smile:

You really have no idea who will be in clearing, some places that you'd perhaps expect to see there might not be, and vice versa, and it's even more unpredictable with the new fees.

For example, I applied to physics and Nottingham had been in clearing with a pretty significant number of spaces every year previously, and so were a pretty safe bet, but they weren't there. There were a few others as well (as well as some that hadn't been in there for a few years).

By all means take a look at some of the unis your interested in, note down the numbers and stuff, but it was all made much easier with the clearing list; I just went down the list of every uni with 'physics' in clearing, and picked the ones I wouldn't mind going to and got the number. It didn't take long that way, and to be honest, there's nothing you can do once you have the number until you phone (if you do).

Quick Reply