The Student Room Group

Battlefield 3

Scroll to see replies

I will probably end up buying both COD MW3 & Battlefield 3
Original post by Tabris
What if I told you that I've played CoD since day one and I know I'm significantly better than a lot of people who play Battlefield?

Also, I've been playing Battlefield since day one :wink:

I say you should call someone who gives a damn :colondollar:
How do we know this games going to be epic?

It took them six years perfecting the engine, thats how!
Reply 23
Original post by IcEmAn911

Original post by IcEmAn911
I say you should call someone who gives a damn :colondollar:

Missed the point, fella :tongue:
This game will be sweet and if it is anything like MoH, I will rape most people online :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by Jimbo1234
This game will be sweet and if it is anything like MoH, I will rape most people online :biggrin:

It's not gonna be like MOH at all :P
Original post by Tommyjw
It's not gonna be like MOH at all :P

Well from the gameplay it looks the same, and seeing that DICE made the MoH multiplayer as a BF 2.5 test, I would be surprised if it was totally different.
I'm buying this game! CANT WAIT!
Reply 28

Well from the gameplay it looks the same

Deathmatch on small maps and conquest on large ones?

Gameplay is hardly going to be the same, beyond the most basic principles anyway.
It's gonna be weird for me, haven't properly played BF since bf1942, I really like BF2 but never played regularly on the PC or anything but yeah pretty hyped for it
MoH sucked.

EA Suck

DICE have sucked since EA took them over, the game won't live up to it's hype. It's pretty obvious since they compare it to Call of Duty every time they try to promote it, any self-respecting PC gamer knows that beating CoD amounts to merely giving more than two craps about the PC Gaming community.

TL;DR - It ain't gonna be a new BF2, but hey it's best to be cynical; then you don't look like an idiot when they mess it up like Crysis 2
Reply 31
Original post by DorianGrayism
I have been getting COD all this time. I think I am going to get Battlefield this time round.

Yes please do! it breaks my heart seeing higher player count for cod than BF!

Original post by Silver Arrow
Who is looking forward to this? I'm usually not a fan of FPS but seeing this trailer has given me a BONER!!! and I can't wait for it to come out.
COD is for noobs TBH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zw8SmsovJc

COD is more of an arcade-fast paced game. Battlefield is more tactical and better suited for team work...etc

Someone on reddit recently said. COD is the 4chan of games - :p:
Reply 32
Original post by 4TSR
COD is more of an arcade-fast paced game. Battlefield is more tactical and better suited for team work...etc

Someone on reddit recently said. COD is the 4chan of games - :p:

You say it as if Battlefield isn't arcadey or fast paced either.

Whilst it's definitely better suited for teamwork, there's little stopping a person from completely romping on an enemy team by themselves. But the increased need for tactics and teamwork is a part of the game design. Just to reiterate for the billionth time. CoD is designed for DM and BF is designed for conquest and territory control; the latter of which requires a greater need for teamwork.

The good thing about Battlefield games is that they're so engrossing, that nearly every niche is covered. If you want to lone-wolf, you can; if you want to work in a close-knit team, you can; if you want to rape on people using a jet, you can happily do that.

Original post by ScienceGaveMeAHadr
DICE have sucked since EA took them over, the game won't live up to it's hype. It's pretty obvious since they compare it to Call of Duty every time they try to promote it, any self-respecting PC gamer knows that beating CoD amounts to merely giving more than two craps about the PC Gaming community.

TL;DR - It ain't gonna be a new BF2, but hey it's best to be cynical; then you don't look like an idiot when they mess it up like Crysis 2

Honestly, I'm beginning to have the same worries.

Especially with the newer Battlefield fans (usually the ones who started with the BC series) constantly make comparisons to CoD as if they're supposed to be the same type of game; or the ones that think of Battlefield as a milsim for some kind of ridiculous pants-on-head logic. This represents a good chunk of the current fanbase and DICE are obviously going to cater somewhat towards this group, which isn't going to do the series any favours.
probably old news to you guys but i haven't been reading around two much however there are a couple things which have meant that battlefield 3 may actually become a BFBC3 ie a let down (compared to what i expected/wanted eg BF2)

No commander and only 4 classes

seems like a small thing but when you're playing a 64 player map, the last thing you want is people running off like headless chickens leading to no structure/tactics. Also it completely takes away strategic use of UAV, supply drops and artillery.....

lets just hope they don't bring back regenerating health -.- now that would be a major let down
Reply 34
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
probably old news to you guys but i haven't been reading around two much however there are a couple things which have meant that battlefield 3 may actually become a BFBC3 ie a let down (compared to what i expected/wanted eg BF2)

No commander and only 4 classes

seems like a small thing but when you're playing a 64 player map, the last thing you want is people running off like headless chickens leading to no structure/tactics. Also it completely takes away strategic use of UAV, supply drops and artillery.....

lets just hope they don't bring back regenerating health -.- now that would be a major let down

4 classes isn't that bad i don't think.

BC2 (while not being the best game initself) had 4 classes, each was pretty customizable too so wasn't too bad

Battlefield had 7 i believe? 7 classes that could easily fit in to these 4 classes. Engineer + anti-tank = 1. Assault + spec ops = 1. Medic + support = 1. Then a recon/sniper class. I see no problem.

and BF has always been strategic, it attracts a certain type of player that likes team play and such. And rewards a certain type of attitude and game play with the sharing ammo + capturing points etc etc, so i wouldn't worry too much about that. The commander thing was always good but it wasn't so amazing that leaving it out in itself is a bad thing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FyreFight
My main worry with Battlefield 3 is that it succeeds in being a CoD killer. Because then, suddenly, a game which is all about teamwork is filled with CoD's old quickscopers and 14 year olds thinking they're hot **** for playing something they think is an edgy alternative, trying to max their k/d without caring about the actual point of the game.

So get it on PC :wink:

64 player battles (god how I missed those) and so few kids can afford a decent PC.
Reply 36
Well it's not going to be a port and I think it's COD that wants to be more like BF3. Full desturction and all.

Who would play MW on a PC anyway? MW3 is just another COD extension with a different plot and I'm glad the type of people that play it will not be on BF3
Original post by Tommyjw
4 classes isn't that bad i don't think.

BC2 (while not being the best game initself) had 4 classes, each was pretty customizable too so wasn't too bad

Battlefield had 7 i believe? 7 classes that could easily fit in to these 4 classes. Engineer + anti-tank = 1. Assault + spec ops = 1. Medic + support = 1. Then a recon/sniper class. I see no problem.

and BF has always been strategic, it attracts a certain type of player that likes team play and such. And rewards a certain type of attitude and game play with the sharing ammo + capturing points etc etc, so i wouldn't worry too much about that. The commander thing was always good but it wasn't so amazing that leaving it out in itself is a bad thing.

I dunno, i'm not convinced with the 4 class system

engineer + anti tank - ok i can put up with that however i can also imagine some **** situations happening where people bail out of their tanks and use a guided rpg to take out the other tank. Sure that could have happened in BF2 if the tank driver was an anti tank class but 99% of the time they were engineers

support + assault/spec ops - not good at all imo, you ended up having all the assault guys doing just that, assaulting and not supporting. Support and assault roles should be seperated

recon - thats fine

medic - thats fine

i think at least 6 classes were needed imo

i know BF3 won't be anything like cod, i'm just worried that it'll be more like BFBC3 rather than BF3

also one thing that MUST be reintroduced is the commo rose - BFBC2 was too dumbed down for my liking - most likely to please the cod fan boys
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Unless I suddenly come into a significant amount of money I'm once again going to be playing the latest games on my xbox 360 :frown:

Having only just started playing BFBC2 on 360 (and hating my friends for not introducing me to it earlier) I have to say it is by far the best online game I have played in a long time. (My favourite is still CoD1 on PC, so much love for rifle servers...)
Reply 39
I prefer Battlefield because I enjoy utilizing Tactics and Strategy in games. By the same token, RTS games like World in Conflict, I really enjoyed. :yep:

Teamwork elements that Battlefield has always displayed (but haven't always been appropriately used by gamers) are really good, and when I use to game to a point I was in leagues with Clans, we use to go online and dominate entire match-lines with Teamwork and supporting each other.

There's really nothing too it, but its such a fantastic trait that Battlefield has always shown, and will hopefully do so this time.

I can't wait to see how they've remodeled the destruction you can cause to buildings, cover, etc. Likewise, I can't wait to see what the maps will be like, how they will organize the classes and what weapons they will throw in this time.

Plus, aircraft are back, aren't they!? That'll add a whole new level of tactical play. :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest