The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Modern Languages Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Applying for French and Russian ab initio. I actually quite like the uni, unlike many here hehe :p:

I've always lived in London and I quite like the anonymous, impersonal thing so that's not much of a problem for me. I've spent six years at a school which admits to being a "bubble" so it will be nice to escape that. I really don't know how I'd cope somewhere like Durham (but I applied anyway!).

Do you think there will be interviews this year? I know it said there might be on UCAS but lots of people got offers without interviews last year, and someone on the other thread said she'd talked to someone in charge of admissions and they said the questionnaire was replacing interviews, for the most part. I hope so anyway...I interview terribly.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 41
Original post by belligerent ghoul
Applying for French and Russian ab initio. I actually quite like the uni, unlike many here hehe :p:

I've always lived in London and I quite like the anonymous, impersonal thing so that's not much of a problem for me. I've spent six years at a school which admits to being a "bubble" so it will be nice to escape that. I really don't know how I'd cope somewhere like Durham (but I applied anyway!).

Do you think there will be interviews this year? I know it said there might be on UCAS but lots of people got offers without interviews last year, and someone on the other thread said she'd talked to someone in charge of admissions and they said the questionnaire was replacing interviews, for the most part. I hope so anyway...I interview terribly.

Haha :biggrin: Most posts on here are a bit negative looking back on it. I'm actually desperate for an offer - I only have concerns about the cost of London - but I suppose you having lived there, you're used to it! The modern languages courses look amazing and haven't personally come across anybody being too formal with me? Have applied to Durham as well - it's a bit more like where I live currently. Part of me thinks I should try something different but I'm a creature of habit. Where else have you applied?

I have a feeling that some will still be interviewed if the language is perhaps a little obscure or hard work? I would be thrilled at this news, but having received no questionnaire, I'm a little worried about that. xD If this is true, I suppose it would be good. Some people don't interview well because they get nervous, although they may be a very good candidate so...?

*checks emails for questionnaire*

=(
Reply 42
I applied to UCL for French and ab initio Italian! I hope everybody gets an interview at least! I am very doubtful that I will although it would be absolutely amazing if I got an offer! X
Original post by AllesWirdGut
Saw your name in the 'Who Quoted Me' and got a bit excited by your Swedishness. xD The exact same course as me? Wow! Never thought I'd see the day.

Haven't applied to Edinburgh - it's a bit too far for me I suppose. I do wish I had though. Haven't heard back from UCL at all, but have applied for German and Italian elsewhere and have offers from Manchester and Sheffield. What about you? If you get an offer, will UCL be your firm?
:smile:

I'm not sure yet, but I think UCL and Edinburgh are my favourites based on the courses, I'm going to have to go visit them all I think as I only went to a couple of open days :smile: what about you?

My college hasn't sent my application yet :s-smilie: hopefully they will send it this week, i'm really scared and excited to send it :s-smilie: :biggrin: !
Haha :biggrin: Most posts on here are a bit negative looking back on it. I'm actually desperate for an offer - I only have concerns about the cost of London - but I suppose you having lived there, you're used to it! The modern languages courses look amazing and haven't personally come across anybody being too formal with me? Have applied to Durham as well - it's a bit more like where I live currently. Part of me thinks I should try something different but I'm a creature of habit. Where else have you applied?

I have a feeling that some will still be interviewed if the language is perhaps a little obscure or hard work? I would be thrilled at this news, but having received no questionnaire, I'm a little worried about that. xD If this is true, I suppose it would be good. Some people don't interview well because they get nervous, although they may be a very good candidate so...?

*checks emails for questionnaire*

=(

Yeah, London is really expensive in terms of accommodation! That's the main thing that bothers me as I would like to live in halls for the first year at least but I guess it will be balanced out because I'd probably live at home for the 4th year. Other than that though, I do think people exaggerate the cost a bit. Pretty much everything else you need, you can get it at the same price as other places? Is there anything in particular that worries you, or is it mainly the accommodation? But London definitely isn't for everyone and I can easily understand the appeal of a smaller city/town or a campus based uni.

I'm applying to UCL, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham and Exeter. You? Perhaps they'll interview the people they're less sure about? Or who have unconventional grades/subjects? I'm one of those people who gets nervous! I know when it comes to the speaking French part, I'd completely blank out so I'd rather not have an interview, but hey, I'd rather get an interview than a rejection!

Anyone received offers from different unis yet?
Reply 45
Original post by belligerent ghoul
Yeah, London is really expensive in terms of accommodation! That's the main thing that bothers me as I would like to live in halls for the first year at least but I guess it will be balanced out because I'd probably live at home for the 4th year. Other than that though, I do think people exaggerate the cost a bit. Pretty much everything else you need, you can get it at the same price as other places? Is there anything in particular that worries you, or is it mainly the accommodation? But London definitely isn't for everyone and I can easily understand the appeal of a smaller city/town or a campus based uni.

I'm applying to UCL, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham and Exeter. You? Perhaps they'll interview the people they're less sure about? Or who have unconventional grades/subjects? I'm one of those people who gets nervous! I know when it comes to the speaking French part, I'd completely blank out so I'd rather not have an interview, but hey, I'd rather get an interview than a rejection!

Anyone received offers from different unis yet?

Am mostly worried about accommodation. I know not to expect the best accommodation, but with it being so expensive and the cost of doing a degree being so high, I just thought I might cope better at a uni outside of London. I hope so about the food etc. I think if UCL are kind enough to give me an offer I'll definitely look around the university to check it out! I've jumped to conclusions about how it'll be and that's a bit silly of me really. And if, after all that, it's not for me, then a day out in London is never bad. xD

Nice choice of universities! And perhaps you're right regarding the interviews. I, too, am a bit worried about the whole speaking bit. I worry too much about grammar. But thanks anyway for trying to reassure me on the whole money front xD
Did anyone else get a questionnaire by email today? Does it mean that I'm a shaky "maybe"?
Am feeling a bit Eek since they ask for UMS grades! Got a B in the speaking part of German...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by chinaberry
Did anyone else get a questionnaire by email today? Does it mean that I'm a shaky "maybe"?
Am feeling a bit Eek since they ask for UMS grades! Got a B in the speaking part of German...

I got it too!
Original post by Lewis :D
I got it too!

Cool :biggrin:
Honestly I thought they wouldn't even look at mine, they're so competitive. I applied on a whim.

What do you think they mean when it says "write about a topic you've studied at AS/A2 which is relevant to the degree"? Think I'll have to go and have a peruse of their site and possibly stretch the definition of "studied at AS/A2"...
I could just resubmit a condensed version of the Oxford essays I sent in...

The second Q looks v. nice though!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Cool :biggrin:
Honestly I thought they wouldn't even look at mine, they're so competitive. I applied on a whim.

What do you think they mean when it says "write about a topic you've studied at AS/A2 which is relevant to the degree"? Think I'll have to go and have a peruse of their site and possibly stretch the definition of "studied at AS/A2"...

The second Q looks v. nice though!

I don't know to be honest, the AS and A2 topics I've done are all quite boring, so that section's going to be totally rubbish. Do we fill in the word document and email it back btw?
Reply 50
I'm applying for German and Norwegian and my predicted grades are ABB with a B in German...it says on the site that you need and A or B in German to study it, so I'm hoping that and the fact that it's not a particularly popular combination might mean they give me an offer :smile:

Well I hope so anyway, it's my favourite uni =/
I don't know to be honest, the AS and A2 topics I've done are all quite boring, so that section's going to be totally rubbish. Do we fill in the word document and email it back btw?

Well, I've got it up now and it does say we need to email it back. But I have no idea how to do that! Oh well. 12 days. 250 words split into two languages won't be too painful. Which languages are you applying for?
Reply 52
Well, I've got it up now and it does say we need to email it back. But I have no idea how to do that! Oh well. 12 days. 250 words split into two languages won't be too painful. Which languages are you applying for?

French and Spanish, so the most competitive language course :lol:. You?
French and Spanish, so the most competitive language course :lol:. You?

French and German, and I haven't done my research (probably a good thing!), but it's probably second in line to yours...:s-smilie: good luck!

I see they don't invite us to choose a language in the last Q...a Free Rein :biggrin:
I got the questionnaire today as well. Now I'm even more nervous....
Reply 55
French and German, and I haven't done my research (probably a good thing!), but it's probably second in line to yours...:s-smilie: good luck!

I see they don't invite us to choose a language in the last Q...a Free Rein :biggrin:

The last question has to be in English doesn't it? :lol:
The last question has to be in English doesn't it? :lol:

Oo yes, but I mean the book/film/whatever...I would have chosen French!
Reply 57
Original post by Beckyyyy
I'm applying for German and Norwegian and my predicted grades are ABB with a B in German...it says on the site that you need and A or B in German to study it, so I'm hoping that and the fact that it's not a particularly popular combination might mean they give me an offer :smile:

Well I hope so anyway, it's my favourite uni =/

Your choice at UCL is quite similar to me: I've applied for German and Swedish. What made you choose Norwegian? And have you applied to Edinburgh too?

On another note - have only people applying for French got a questionnaire?
Reply 58
Your choice at UCL is quite similar to me: I've applied for German and Swedish. What made you choose Norwegian? And have you applied to Edinburgh too?

I chose Norwegian because I've been to Norway and I really like the country, I think the language is pretty and it's fairly close to german so I shouldn't have many problems picking it up, plus I've wanted to learn it ever since I was little and we did about the Vikings in History, which was the only topic I ever found interesting :P I like a lot of norwegian music too :biggrin:

And no, I'm applying to Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham and Newcastle, this is my favourite though because it's the only uni I've found which does Norwegian :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by Beckyyyy
I chose Norwegian because I've been to Norway and I really like the country, I think the language is pretty and it's fairly close to german so I shouldn't have many problems picking it up, plus I've wanted to learn it ever since I was little and we did about the Vikings in History, which was the only topic I ever found interesting :P I like a lot of norwegian music too :biggrin:

And no, I'm applying to Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham and Newcastle, this is my favourite though because it's the only uni I've found which does Norwegian :smile:

Aha. I'd like to go there as well, perhaps in the North. Where did you visit? :biggrin: I'm applying for German as well - the Scandinavian languages seem to be pretty similar so hopefully Swedish won't be too difficult. Have you heard much from UCL? I'm so impatient.

Oh Edinburgh don't do Norwegian? Never really looked into it much. What have you applied for at the other universities?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending