The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Is Imperial boring??!?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NilDe
Being an Imperial Fresher myself, these are a few of my conclusions...

-If you're a girl, you just hit the jackpot :biggrin:. If you're a guy, tough luck man :frown:. The ratio is pretty bad unless you're in Biology related courses which have ~1:1. Engineering majors, especially ones like Aero (which I'm in :frown: ) is ~9:1 and even worse for EEE. But, contrary to stereotypes, the quality is quite good (although be prepared to battle the enormous competition)

-Imperial is definitely NOT boring. There's always something to do and people do go out clubbing. You are working towards getting a prestigious degree and if you get in, you probably know what hard work is and how to do it. So don't expect you'll get wasted every night and and lead American Pie lives. One night out a week is pretty much your minimum (to remain sane) and two or three is the maximum (to not get kicked out). You have to work and you will get ample opportunity to party.

Well, who are these girls you think of as high quality in aero xD? *curious*
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 41
Original post by ViralRiver

I wonder if any of them will be reading this :ninja:
Original post by Zottula
I wonder if any of them will be reading this :ninja:

Nope, I think they're both studying.
Original post by Zottula

Original post by Zottula
Yeah me too.

There are some real hotties on my course too (girls that is).

I know a girl on your course :h: (had to check you weren't her before I told you this haha)

Anyway from what I've heard/seen from facebook, Imperial definitely isn't boring. I'm guessing it is what you make of it like every other uni, at the end of the day it's got an academically high standard so there WILL be people extremely focused on their study, and if you're in a flat full of them and are a party animal you might have to try a little harder. I think it's the same at UCL a little bit.

Just realised how old this thread is :facepalm:
Reply 44
Conclusion: Yes
Reply 45
Original post by ViralRiver

Dude, you already have a girlfriend... You shouldn't be curious!
Original post by NilDe
Dude, you already have a girlfriend... You shouldn't be curious!

Not for my sake, I just want to know who you have your eyes on xD.
Does anybody know, roughly, the gender ratio for Maths? and someone mentioned the '15 massive clubs' are these expensive, footballer type of clubs or student clubs with other unis such as ucl, kings and lse?
Reply 48
Original post by lifesabeach

Original post by lifesabeach
Does anybody know, roughly, the gender ratio for Maths? and someone mentioned the '15 massive clubs' are these expensive, footballer type of clubs or student clubs with other unis such as ucl, kings and lse?

Math is actually pretty balanced....(surprisingly!) and I think one of the largest societies is the Cheese Soc!
Cheese soc is amazing! Don't worry about costs, I've gone along to many different club events etc and have only joined one (because it was £4 membership with all you can eat Ben & Jerrys. Oh yes). But yeah, the clubs normally have at least 1 non-member session and then if you're lucky you can go along to others and give them the old "I'll join next week" or something :P .
Reply 50
hello all, just got an offer from Imperial (for Physics) but may end up firming UCL over Imperial. The thing is, i'm quite an outgoing guy who goes out a lot and so i think if i go Imperial, the social life won't be bad at all. However, what i am most concerned about is the lack of girls at Imperial when compared to UCL :s-smilie: is it really that bad?
Reply 51
Original post by Aphalleon
hello all, just got an offer from Imperial (for Physics) but may end up firming UCL over Imperial. The thing is, i'm quite an outgoing guy who goes out a lot and so i think if i go Imperial, the social life won't be bad at all. However, what i am most concerned about is the lack of girls at Imperial when compared to UCL :s-smilie: is it really that bad?

It's really not that bad, there's still lots of girls and most of the guys aren't that interested in going after them. Unless one of your main reasons for living is to go after as many girls as possible you probably won't notice it at all. If you're more worried about just being surrounded by guys all the time and not having many female friends then who knows. Somehow the majority of my good friends are girls so hats off there :russia:
Reply 52
Original post by ShaqZigWINNER64
It's really not that bad, there's still lots of girls and most of the guys aren't that interested in going after them. Unless one of your main reasons for living is to go after as many girls as possible you probably won't notice it at all. If you're more worried about just being surrounded by guys all the time and not having many female friends then who knows. Somehow the majority of my good friends are girls so hats off there :russia:

bit of a creepy question, but do Imperial guys (generally) get laid (of course with Imperial girls)?
Reply 53
Imperial is anything but boring, its the place to be if you are a BO$$. And theres plenty of gyaldem there. Bio department is where all the clunge is at. I notice even the engineers are starting to hang around SAF a lot more lately
Original post by rajabilal
Imperial is anything but boring, its the place to be if you are a BO$$. And theres plenty of gyaldem there. Bio department is where all the clunge is at. I notice even the engineers are starting to hang around SAF a lot more lately

You actually made an account on TSR... xD.

Oh and there are plenty of girls in imperial, my house in halls has a 14:1 male:female ratio!
Original post by rajabilal

:biggrin:

Lots of Holmes in this thread lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Jedbrien
bit of a creepy question, but do Imperial guys (generally) get laid (of course with Imperial girls)?

some guy (who I think is in first year aero now) asked me that on one of the open day tours and he was very creepy

answer is probably yes if you actually put an effort in (most guys at ic can't actually be bothered or are visibly nerdy)
Reply 57
Yes, I've managed to score twice and my room mate has gotten a girlfriend. All the hardcore engineerings have no girls. There are literally 5 girls out of 160 in EEE, but that doesn't matter. Just tag along to medic events, and there will be girls in halls. Failing that, your in London, its just so easy to meet people.

Imperial is only as fun as you make it. The union is ****, (seriously don't pay money to go its events), but if you get a good group of friends, you will have a crazy time.
Reply 58
Original post by Cartry
My take on your Qs. Currently a medic fresher - don't be hatin'

Are there women at Imperial?
Yea, but depends on where you're looking. For medics, there's around 50:50, I'd say as a rough guess. But for the rest of IC, barring biomedical sciences and biology, there is a more unbalanced gender ratio. From what I've heard, there's about 10 girls in the entire CivEng fresher population.

Is Imperial boring?
Boring is relative. There's plenty of events and socs for you to get involved in - but no one's going to drag you out of your room to them. You gotta get involved yourself, take that first step. To be honest, I'm finding it a little challenging to balance work, social life and going out at the moment since I'm still kind of settling in - but I'm getting the hang of things. I even find myself regretfully pulling out of clubs that I've wanted to join for ages (eg. IQ, Lacrosse) because club schedule clashes. You'll be never lacking in things to do. Living in halls gives you an extra edge as you'll be surrounded by similar people and freshers and the friends you make will drag you around and keep you entertained. Definitely try for halls if it's within your budget - worthiwhile experience. As a not-really-a-drinker (self imposed 2 drinks/week budget for my wallet and dignity's sake), I find plenty to do as well. Sports training and interest clubs will take up your time. Events are pretty fun even without the drink.

Why don't people go out that much?
As the year goes on, a lot of people get bogged down by the workload. As innerhollow said before, all degrees at Imperial are incredibly intense. Medics are supposed to have it the easiest in the first year, but as years go on we will definitely not come out laughing. Also, I'd say one of the factors (once fresher's week and the novelty of partying 247 has worn off) is that London is essentially a pretty expensive place to live. Even with pre-drinks and walking everywhere, you'd still have to dig deep in your wallet to afford to go out clubbing a lot on top of having to pay for things like groceries, or living in SK in general.

Should any of this put me off Imperial?
No - I'd say, give it a go. It'll turn out to be the most incredible experience in your life, most likely - you still have a chance to have a look during open days and pre-interview tours. Ask your tour guides for their honest impression of being a fresher or senior - there are pros and cons to every university but a prestigious degree and an incredible education should be at the top of your list.

thank you this was actually really helpful! I'm a hard worker and get good grades but I do like to go out with friends quite a bit. I was really looking forward to Imperial but after hearing that people don't go out much I was put off. However I think what you're saying sounds reasonable (:
Reply 59
Yes, Imperial is very boring compared to other Universities. Opinion of a a Oxbridge grad.

People blame the work load, but coming from Oxford , where the workload is far more intense, I find Imperial dull and boring. It's just an excuse.

The general problems I have with it are

- Campus
Not enough places to hang out with cheap/decent food

- International students
They don't seem to integrate as well as they do at Oxford

- Union
Generally rubbish, not really many events and they are just poorly attended. I think Imperial may be the ultimate 'pub quiz' union.

- Clubs
Some are ok, but they are poorly funded a lot of the time, I think the sports clubs are better then the societies, thanks to ethos mainly

- London
Everyone lives miles away (although LSE and UCL seem to have good communities). Imperial is also too small, getting anything to eat takes a while and finding somewhere to sit is close to impossible at peak times

- Imperial culture
I think they want to be Imperial plc, It's like working for a bank sometimes.

-MF ratio
Why would you come to Imperial if you were a straight guy..? Although the gay scene is below that of LSE/UCL too fyi

But basically I think the majority of the problem is the LACK OF SOCIAL SCIENCE students, they normally are the ones who start clubs etc and get things going in a union. The medics seem to have fun though and I think they are much better then the rest of Imperil for social life.

just my opinion, some seem to love it.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending