The Student Room Group

DofE Silver expedition and training..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by GeekyNick
All you need is a small microfibre towel and about 100ml shower gel and it's well worth the extra weight in my opinion.

I was gonna complain about microfibre towels not working, and the cold not being worth it. Then I remembered another complaint-all you lot seem to have gone to campsites!:p:
Reply 21
You don't need much! The main thing you'll need to change more than anything else is your socks and underwear tbh and with socks it's the thick pairs that you take anyway, and from what I remember half of the people don't care much for the hygiene when they don't even have anywhere to shower for the day :colonhash: that obviously isn't always the case though lol.

Take an extra fleece, a small extra tshirt, and just one spare pair of bottoms or something.

When I did the DofE we wore our waterproofs, took an extra pair and one pair for lounging around because we did our DofE in such a way where we made our way to a hostel as the end of the route and stayed there after we'd completed it.

Make sure you take baby wipes at least as they come in handy when you can't shower! The campsite I was at did have a shower - a very strange one but nevermind! Get the bars of soap from lush as opposed to actual shampoo OR if you know other people who are doing the DofE you can share out the items and each agree to bring certain things..
Original post by Slumpy
I was gonna complain about microfibre towels not working, and the cold not being worth it. Then I remembered another complaint-all you lot seem to have gone to campsites!:p:

I don't find microfibre towels that bad myself - as long as you get a decent quality one in a reasonable size. Not as nice as a white fluffy bath towel I'll admit but it does the job.

I did have really nice campsites for both my practice and assessed silver expeditions - showers, washing up facilities etc. As far a I know that is well within the rules for silver DofE - just some assessors/supervisors are stricter than others.
Reply 23
Original post by GeekyNick
I don't find microfibre towels that bad myself - as long as you get a decent quality one in a reasonable size. Not as nice as a white fluffy bath towel I'll admit but it does the job.

I did have really nice campsites for both my practice and assessed silver expeditions - showers, washing up facilities etc. As far a I know that is well within the rules for silver DofE - just some assessors/supervisors are stricter than others.

Yeah, they sorta work, except not really for hair to my mind.

I don't think it was our assessors so much as we didn't really have any campsites anywhere near our DoE walks(bronze-gold). At least, none that I remember. Actually, gold we might technically have been on a campsite...I forget if it counted:p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending