This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Yeah, I found the Jan 2012 papers quite hard... :mad:
Reply 3
Original post by Rendition
Yeah, I found the Jan 2012 papers quite hard... :mad:

that was sooooo mean! :frown:
Reply 4
January 2012 Paper 1P was deadly. Not complicated - exhausting. But Paper 2P was as easy as usual.

The grade boundaries for Physics tend to be really low, so I'm not particularly worried about this exam.
Reply 5
Agreed on physics. January 2012 was ridiculous, as evidenced by the extremely low boundaries. Hopefully it will be more approachable this year!

Reply 6
Original post by Graceyfave
Agreed on physics. January 2012 was ridiculous, as evidenced by the extremely low boundaries. Hopefully it will be more approachable this year!

To be fair, those grade boundaries were astoundingly low even considering the painful dreariness of Paper 1. 119/180 for an A*?

This year is more likely to be like June 2011, I think. We can expect a grade boundary of around 140/180 for an A* as a maximum.
Reply 7
Original post by Big-Daddy
To be fair, those grade boundaries were astoundingly low even considering the painful dreariness of Paper 1. 119/180 for an A*?

This year is more likely to be like June 2011, I think. We can expect a grade boundary of around 140/180 for an A* as a maximum.

True, I was shocked at how low they were! Hopefully they'll be more questions relating to equations and conceptual knowledge as opposed to experimental procedures!

Reply 8
True, I was shocked at how low they were! Hopefully they'll be more questions relating to equations and conceptual knowledge as opposed to experimental procedures!

Yeah - I love the mathematical questions. They're trivially easy; the experimental questions just get annoying.

I have a list of equations and units if anyone wants it. Keep in mind that it might go over IGCSE depth slightly for some parts.
Reply 9
I particularly hope they ask a question such as "What is the half-life of this substance" after giving an initial count, final count, and time period. I can rearrange my half-life equation to calculate it straight away :wink:
Reply 10
Personally I hope a lot of radioactivity,
Electricity, electromagnetic spectrum questions (easy marks!) etc come up. I hate electromagnetism with a burning passion!

Electromagnetism is doomed to come this time. Perhaps they will give a diagram of an electric bell, trip switch, circuit breaker, Dc Motor, Moving coil Loudspeaker, or an alternator and ask us to say how it works. 99% chance it is gonna come as the last question worth 6 marks.
Anything except questions about advantages and disadvantages of wind turbines :tongue:
Reply 13
Ahhh. Better revise it then, but I find electromagnetism so absurd :/ we rushed that section of the syllabus, so I am doomed to failure! :P

Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Electromagnetism is doomed to come this time. Perhaps they will give a diagram of an electric bell, trip switch, circuit breaker, Dc Motor, Moving coil Loudspeaker, or an alternator and ask us to say how it works. 99% chance it is gonna come as the last question worth 6 marks.

I seriously doubt a transformer will come up as a 6 marker. There are barely 6 things to say! They might save a loudspeaker or motor for a 6-marker, but somehow I think they would be more inclined to make bigger questions out of those as they are basically the entirety of electromagnetism at IGCSE.

BTW the bicycle dynamo has a spinning magnet in a stationary coil and the generator has a spinning coil in a stationary magnet, right?
Reply 15
Does anyone have any EM notes by any chance? :/

Reply 16
Original post by Big-Daddy

Hopefully it will be except biology was worse than January I found! But June 2011 Physics was sooo easy. Hope it's straightforward like that not all this experimental ****. But sadly, the specification has changed a bit for next year's examination and our teachers said they will most likely be as experimental as January 2012 as they will follow the new specification style to be examined first in 2013. That's why you'll notice June 2011 was drastically different to January 2012. I have a specimen paper from the new specification (the same content but still the style we're going to get), shall i upload it here?

I know it really annoys me about how literally 75% of the paper is experimental :angry:
Reply 17
I'm really good at the calculation part...not so good at the experiment part...They said that our papers (first paper 2011) were going to be easier than the previous years (2010, 2009, 2008...). To be honest I really find those questions more easier than the current ones!
Reply 18
Original post by NilFBosh
I'm really good at the calculation part...not so good at the experiment part...They said that our papers (first paper 2011) were going to be easier than the previous years (2010, 2009, 2008...). To be honest I really find those questions more easier than the current ones!

2011 was easy because it was first examination. Our paper will be quite hard and unfortunately VERY experimental :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by sahajkaur
2011 was easy because it was first examination. Our paper will be quite hard and unfortunately VERY experimental :frown:

Exactly...thats what I hate! all those questions why, suggest etc i really might doze off during the exam!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending