The Student Room Group

My brother got beat up, should we involve the police??

alright, so what happened is that my brother is just 13 and he's new to this boys school, recently today the principle called home and told us that he got into a fight, he didn't go in much detail but he called my mum up to pick my brother half way from school.

anyway, when my brother came back home from the GP i came to him and asked him to tell me what happened and if he really got beaten up, then he looked up to me and he had a black eye and he can't open his eye very well and you can see the scar under his eye, i was shocked! so i asked my mum what happened and she said that when she went to the principle, he said that my brother was 100% the victim of this fight, he said that my brother had been set up by his friend, his friend told him that "my(as in his friend's brother) can beat you" but my brother was like "no he can't"
fact about my brother, he's a big lad, but he's not the type who gets into fights or likes to get into fights
anyway his friend told him to have a walk with him and then they walked indoor and out of no where that boy's brother punched my brother in the face, his brother is two years older. my brother's friend and some other friend (were friends) started filming my brother getting punched various of times into the floor and bleeding alot form his nose/face and then they left.
some of his real friends helped my brother up form the floor

the princaple took the phones away, he told my mum that my brother didn't try to hit them back but he tried to move away from it. the principle did not want my mum to see the videos because he said that it was too violent and hard touching for my mum to see but he will show the video to the boys' mother and the boys have an exclusion from school.

some family members and out friends say that we should tell the police however we are unsure if it is worth it, do u think we should call up the police, or what?and what do you think that the police will do as they are all minors.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Betzella
alright, so what happened is that my brother is just 13 and he's new to this boys school, recently today the principle called home and told us that he got into a fight, he didn't go in much detail but he called my mum up to pick my brother half way from school.

anyway, when my brother came back home from the GP i came to him and asked him to tell me what happened and if he really got beaten up, then he looked up to me and he had a black eye and he can't open his eye very well and you can see the scar under his eye, i was shocked! so i asked my mum what happened and she said that when she went to the principle, he said that my brother was 100% the victim of this fight, he said that my brother had been set up by his friend, his friend told him that "my(as in his friend's brother) can beat you" but my brother was like "no he can't"
fact about my brother, he's a big lad, but he's not the type who gets into fights or likes to get into fights
anyway his friend told him to have a walk with him and then they walked indoor and out of no where that boy's brother punched my brother in the face, his brother is two years older. my brother's friend and some other friend (were friends) started filming my brother getting punched various of times into the floor and bleeding alot form his nose/face and then they left.
some of his real friends helped my brother up form the floor

the princaple took the phones away, he told my mum that my brother didn't try to hit them back but he tried to move away from it. the principle did not want my mum to see the videos because he said that it was too violent and hard touching for my mum to see but he will show the video to the boys' mother and the boys have an exclusion from school.

some family members and out friends say that we should tell the police however we are unsure if it is worth it, do u think we should call up the police, or what?and what do you think that the police will do as they are all minors.

If you feel it's necessary. If that happened to my little brother I'd be telling the police for certain.
police all the way, why shouldn't you? it's on video, case closed.

why the hell do so many people make videos of themselves committing crimes anway?
Reply 3
That's abuse and the boys who did it are very much above the age of criminal responsibility, go to the police.
Reply 4
Definitely. I mean, there is video evidence after all.
Police.
You can't just let it go.
Yes, inform the police. What makes you doubt that you should, out of interest?
Reply 7
I'd go to the police. You might not get the result you want but it'll put your mind at ease knowing you've reported the yobs...

On the other hand, your brother might get stick for grassing them in. Tricky one.

It's really up to your brother
Go to the Police. Lots of people might think that this is minor and not worthy of police attention, but It is definitely assault. The evidence is all on video so the perpertrators have no defence.
na dont tell da pigs ye
Original post by cfizzle
I'd go to the police. You might not get the result you want but it'll put your mind at ease knowing you've reported the yobs...

On the other hand, your brother might get stick for grassing them in. Tricky one.

I think that Informing the police of an assault is in a different league to standard playground "crimes" such as telling teachers that someone has taken a pencil case or something. I wouldn't care if that person is going to get stick for it at school, because otherwise those people who beat up TC's brother will be back in school in 3 days and able to threaten him or make him feel uncomfortable.
Reply 11
Original post by ThatPerson
I think that Informing the police of an assault is in a different league to standard playground "crimes" such as telling teachers that someone has taken a pencil case or something. I wouldn't care if that person is going to get stick for it at school, because otherwise those people who beat up TC's brother will be back in school in 3 days and able to threaten him or make him feel uncomfortable.

Fair point, but I just mean at their age and the fact that it was a school beating, the police may not take as serious an action as they would if the OP's brother was over 18 or 16 etc.
Go to the police, too many scumbags like this get away with this type of stuff. I was punched before by some git in my year, wish I'd gone to the police, given him a criminal record, ruined his employability for life.
Original post by cfizzle

Considering it already involves the school and parents, and considering they bodily harmed the kid, I'm sure him "grassing" them up is the least of their worries, they're not exactly friends now are they?

EDIT: Although, you may have a point, they could turn out to be good friends in the future so on second thought, it needs some thought and a look into other factors.
If this happened on the street then you'd go to the police. If this happened in a super market, you'd go to the police. I don't see why it should be any different in school. Ask the principle to hold onto the phones, and not delete the videos. Go to the police and see what they say. The worst that can happen is they will let the others off with a slapped wrist (You won't get done for wasting police time, as he has been assaulted).

Make sure you brother is okay with it first , if you do decide to .
I would say it depends if you and your brother are happy with the way the school are handling it, although it would be completely justified to get the police involved you have to consider the fact that if you do the whole school will know about it and it might make it hard for your brother to fit in especially because he is new.

Personally i would organize a private sit down with the aggressors parents and tell them if their kids so much as even look at your brother the wrong way again you will press charges and completely **** up their future to the point where their life goal is to become a fully fledged traffic warden.
Reply 16
Tell the police and just let the CPS decide if it is in the public interest to prosecute. Also, why hasn't the principle expelled the kids? He's even said it was pretty violent. Seems like he wants to keep their pupil premium or something.
Reply 17
This is petty school beef, It happens all the time, let it slide, lifes too short to be worrying about minor ****.
Almost every kids gonna get a black eye sometime or another
Reply 18
Original post by Malabarista
Go to the police, too many scumbags like this get away with this type of stuff. I was punched before by some git in my year, wish I'd gone to the police, given him a criminal record, ruined his employability for life.

this (except i never got punched before by some git in my year)
Reply 19
my mother is thinking of going to the police office tomorrow to report it, my brother thinks that we should just leave it.
i mean once that boy came to my brother's birthday and gave us chocolate and they went out to the cinimas, my brother says that they were very good friends, my brother even buys him money from the cafeteria, this fight just came out of no where!

i know that sometimes we hang in a group and there might be that one person who doesn't want to hang out with that other person because they basically don't like them, but i mean if i hated someone i would try my best to avoid them, i wouldn't go punching the blood out of them.

by the sound of everyone telling me that we should tell the police, i think we should, because we are just scared that it might happen again if we let it wash off and anything could happen, my brother might get mad at them an beat them up and then the fault will turn on him.

thank you everyone, hopefully we'll teach them not to mess up with my little brother.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending