The Student Room Group

OCR B F335 - Chemistry by Design - 13th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1240
Original post by lightray
I found it hard, really.
But surprisingly I got the "suggest the structure" drawings correct.
What did you guys put on the question of decomposition of ZnCl2.2H2O?

I put ZnOHCl.H20 - but I always get those things wrong

But on another note... I dreamt about this exam last night, FML, I vividly remember the structural formula of methanal coming up... :mad:

Edit: googled it - found the answer, it's on here

http://portal.acs.org/preview/fileFetch/C/CNBP_029702/pdf/CNBP_029702.pdf

it goes to ZnCl(OH) + HCl + H2O

I'm just saying - if I could've had google in that exam i'd have aced it... Fail...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1241
I googled it too I dont think it is something that a A2 student knows, as well as the drawing. Well I really think that any sensible alternatives could get the marks.
I put ZnCl.2H2O ----> HCl + HOCl + Zn + H2O, dont think i will have both marks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1242
Original post by DipolarBitch
What do you call a clown in jail?

A Silicon.

Ur not funny.
Reply 1243
Anyone got the exam!
can anyone explain how u were supposed to find the concnetration of Nitrogen using the Oxygen concentration?

And then for the ratio question what did people get?

I got 7.14 But I didnt write that and for some reason wrote 7:1 :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Isn't anybody putting a mock mark scheme together?
Original post by SimpleGirl
I got this too.. :unsure:

This paper was beyond difficult.
I honestly felt that I had revised enough to do well but the questions were just ridiculous.

EDIT:

Oh great :facepalm:

:O what?! But how you meant to realise that in an exam situation :frown:

Has anyone made an unofficial mark scheme yet?
Original post by InkyOne

But on another note... I dreamt about this exam last night, FML, I vividly remember the structural formula of methanal coming up... :mad:

I'm just saying - if I could've had google in that exam i'd have aced it... Fail...

I did the same as you. I think we'll have got at least 1 mark because all we did was .H20 instead of +H20. Not a massive error really. May even be exchangeable...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Toshiya
I thought it was C4H8O4?

I can't say for sure but i remember thinking the lactic acid had been doubled up. Oh well, good luck anyway :smile:
Reply 1249
Original post by suggsina
I can't say for sure but i remember thinking the lactic acid had been doubled up. Oh well, good luck anyway :smile:

It might have been, I might have drawn it with 6 carbons haha... I can't remember!
Reply 1250
Original post by InkyOne

I reckon what you put may actually get you the marks. It will probably say:

ZnCl(OH) + HCl + H2O

in the mark scheme, but it would probably also say "Allow ZnClOH.H20". Also, I don't think the brackets are important, for the same reason you write NaOH instead of Na(OH).
Reply 1251
Original post by suggsina

It was - lactic acid has 3 carbons, one with the carboxylic acid group, one attached to the OH and a methyl group on the end :smile:
Reply 1252
Original post by Alex J
I reckon what you put may actually get you the marks. It will probably say:

ZnCl(OH) + HCl + H2O

in the mark scheme, but it would probably also say "Allow ZnClOH.H20". Also, I don't think the brackets are important, for the same reason you write NaOH instead of Na(OH).

Here's hoping! :smile:
what was the question and answer for the last question about solubility?
Reply 1254
Original post by Princess Kawaii
what was the question and answer for the last question about solubility?

Along the lines of does solubility increase of an ionic solid who's dissolving is endothermic, at higher temperatures.

the answer was yes, because it makes the negative value of delta S surroundings tend towards 0, so increasing the value of delta S total, and increasing the likelihood of the solid dissolving spontaneously.
Reply 1255
so is everyone thinking that the grade boundaries will be low for this like 81 and below?
Reply 1256
I thought it was way easier than f334 in january, just a shame the maths ones i had today didnt go so well - edexcel clearly wanted to get us back for their easy jan papers
Original post by InkyOne
Along the lines of does solubility increase of an ionic solid who's dissolving is endothermic, at higher temperatures.

the answer was yes, because it makes the negative value of delta S surroundings tend towards 0, so increasing the value of delta S total, and increasing the likelihood of the solid dissolving spontaneously.

Do u the one that was "coumpound Z" that would react with benzene to form.....?

:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending