The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
If you can't afford to pay for your child's school uniform, you shouldn't be having children.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I enjoy wearing my school uniform, I love my tie and shirt and I find it particularly comfortable because the sixth form standard is: any white shirt, black jumper, tie and trousers/skirt. I have the freedom to pick what I find comfortable and look pretty smart in it. Plus, I don't have enough time to ponder what to wear in the morning or feel pressured to buy new clothing to disguise the fact I wear pretty much the same stuff week in week out :colondollar:
Original post by Chlorophile
That video really did not look scientific at all. I would like to see the actual scientific basis for that because I honestly do not believe that wearing a lab coat increases your cognitive abilities by 50%.

It is for lay people like us though.

From the video description..

"Source: Adam, Hajo, and Adam D. Galinsky. "Enclothed Cognition." Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 48, no. 4 (2012): 918-- 25."

nytimes article. The Atlantic article.
No, I like wearing school uniform, if I wasn't wearing one, I wouldn't feel like I was at school. I also think that it strengthens the sense of community, and I know that my friends and I all find non-uniform days to be a hassle, as we never have anything to wear, and everyone is always judging you. School is for learning, it's not meant to be a fashion show.
Reply 124
I've never had to wear a uniform to school (this tradition is almost nonexistent in the Czech Republic) and I don't have regrets. Children can bully each other for other reasons (cell phones, physical impairment, etc.) and there's not always a correlation between the price of one's clothes and their wealth. For example, my friend, whose parents didn't have a lot of money, kept spending an awful lot on clothes shopping, whereas a guy from the same class whose parents were very rich used to wear the same sweatshirt all year long.

That being said, I wouldn't have had a problem with a uniform.
Reply 125
Original post by snowyowl
I've never worked anywhere that didn't have a uniform :erm:

I really think you are confusing "uniform" and "dress code". Those are two different things...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by llys
I really think you are confusing "uniform" and "dress code". Those are two different things...

Nope, I know the difference. I've never worked anywhere that didn't have a uniform.
Reply 127
Nope, I know the difference. I've never worked anywhere that didn't have a uniform.

Oh right. Well I've only ever worked in labs so I guess I wouldn't necessarily know. I just assumed that (because this is TSR) you were thinking of bankers, GPs and lawyers. :wink:
Original post by llys
Oh right. Well I've only ever worked in labs so I guess I wouldn't necessarily know. I just assumed that (because this is TSR) you were thinking of bankers, GPs and lawyers. :wink:

Nope, I'm a nursery nurse by trade but I've also worked in retail :smile:
Reply 129
Nope, I'm a nursery nurse by trade but I've also worked in retail :smile:

I see; makes sense now. :smile:
Reply 130
No.

Happy holiday. And happy 'birthday' to yeshua

/thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. I think it is a good idea. Particularly for girls I think it adds pressure as to what to wear each day etc, and I know that when I was at school I was happy that we all wore the same.
I think it's a good idea as you are less likely to be bullied if you don't follow clothes trends or your parents can't afford to buy you brand labels. Plus there was less pressure to figure out what to wear every day!
I personally hate our school uniforms boys are allowed to wear shorts and trousers but no skirts or dresses, but girls are allowed to wear skirts, dresses and trousers but no shorts!Also I have no reason to believe that my tie being clip-on or not done up tidy, or my shirt being untucked has ever offended or hindered anyone’s learning.
No. I grew up poor, trust me, it isn't a good idea.
Original post by basicallyshrek
No. I grew up poor, trust me, it isn't a good idea.

Original post by Alliexware
I personally hate our school uniforms boys are allowed to wear shorts and trousers but no skirts or dresses, but girls are allowed to wear skirts, dresses and trousers but no shorts!Also I have no reason to believe that my tie being clip-on or not done up tidy, or my shirt being untucked has ever offended or hindered anyone’s learning.

Both of you, don't bump old threads. Thread reported to the Community Team for Locking.
Shouldn't be scrapped, but they should be comfortable e.g. polo shirts and jumpers instead of shirts ties and blazers. That way I can focus on learning, not how uncomfortable I am.
Original post by cc85734
Shouldn't be scrapped, but they should be comfortable e.g. polo shirts and jumpers instead of shirts ties and blazers. That way I can focus on learning, not how uncomfortable I am.

Oh sorry wrong thread didn't realise...
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
Both of you, don't bump old threads. Thread reported to the Community Team for Locking.

Sorry I didn’t realise
Yeah, it's silly and defeats the purpose.

Latest

Trending

Trending