The Student Room Group

Should student maintanence loans be judged bases on your parent's income

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by gamerhi
Pre 18 the government provides a significant amount of support, for children. Personally I have friends who've had school trips paid for, as well as educational bursaries and textbooks being purchased for them.

I'm not referring to the odd educational trip. I'm referring to weekly outings to museums and heritage sites, for example. This is something that the state doesn't (and can't) subsidise, and there just isn't the spare time for these in the school year

To use some local examples to me. Say a child is studying Roman Britain one term. The more affluent parent (who is more likely to be in better health, has access to private transport and can afford entrance museum entrance fees and additional books) can take their child to Hadrian's Wall including several Roman forts. Then the Great North Museum in Newcastle the following week to see their Roman collection. Maybe even to other cities as far as London's British Museum. The next term the child could be studying Industrial life at the turn of the 20th century, so the parent takes them to museums such as Beamish. This doesn't just work for history but can be applied to other subjects such as geography.

A parent who is less well off may not be as mobile and able to take their child to such places due to finances and/or health.

Then there's technology such as computers, the internet and educational toys. Though less expensive than they once were, so no longer only available to middle class parents, they can still be a significant cost to a less well off parent.

Also, as I've already touched on in this thread, those who are less well off are more likely to experience chronic illness. Chronic illness can have a very disruptive effect on a child's education.

I went to a state selective grammar school. There were kids from all sorts of backgrounds, from very well off to those living off the benefit system. Did those from disenfranchised backgrounds do worse than anyone else? No.

Exactly, a selective grammar school. Those attending had already demonstrated they were high achievers at age, what, 11? So a relatively late age.

I never meant to suggest that no one from a less well off background can't attain high educational standards, especially if they live in a relatively affluent area. What I am saying is that they are less likely to or will face more challenges.

An important part of this is also attitude. My parents were perhaps would you could call comfortably off, but never anywhere near well off. Nevertheless, they always had the attitude that education is important and were aspirational, always intent on me staying at school until 18 and then going to university. Your old students at the grammar school, even those less well off, probably had similar attitudes among their parents.

Similarly Middle class parents are also more likely to be quite devious and will manipulate the system thus making sure their child gets a place. For example my Uncle and Aunt didn't raise my cousin as Catholic. However, once they realised attending the local feeder school wouldn't guarentee them entry into the local high performing Catholic Secondary school (as it would me, and did my brother) they put on a show for a the local Priest and had her Baptised at age 10. This sort of behaviour is very common among middle class/aspirational parents.

If you really think that parental wealth has no effect on child educational outcomes then you need to familiarise yourself with the mass of academic work out there. Take two children at age 3 or 5, one from a low socio-economic background but the other from a higher socio-economic background. Both deemed to be equal in abiity. By age 11 the more middle class student will be outperforming the less well off student. By age 18 the difference can be even more apparent.

Though there is some disparagy in pre-18 education, it's the governments role to increase the quality of our state schools, there is far too much box ticking, preventing teachers from teaching.

But there will always be some schools poorer than others. We can improve resources available to schools and can get better quality teachers (which is still not easy). But dealing with the problems of poverty, society and anti-social behaviour, including school truancy, and changing attitudes toward education is a lot more difficult.

Furthermore it will be always be the case that affluent parents can afford to do more for their child, including additional tutoring.

Also the issue of people fiddling with there taxes isn't really that big in the middle classes, it's only the mega rich who can afford good accountants.

Oh, I don't know about that. I know several of several business owners who employ competent enough accountants. Though well off, I wouldn't describe them as "mega rich".
Of course it should. The point is to distribute wealth and make it equal, give everyone the same amount and you're keeping the same imbalances and disparities. Rich students have enough MacBooks and get pissed enough nights as it is. They may think they are struggling, compared with what life was like at home, but they actually have no idea. Rich students who complain about now having enough student finance are greedy, selfish, hypocritical and need to look at the real suffering of the world. Apply the same empathy they have for themselves else were. But of course, everyone else in need are scrounger scum, they don't deserve more money.
Reply 142
Original post by River85
Partners don't have to be in a sexual relationship :p:

Because partners share household expenses (and their income) more than most friends do. Partners will be seeking to provide a long-term future together, at least ideally.

Plus like I said friends (and other non-dependents) can still affect levels of benefit entitlement, though I don't think they affect student finance (I'll have to check).

Ah I see. So it's not really based on a "relationship" as such, but to what degree you share things. So in theory if two really good friends shared a lot of stuff, could they find themselves in a "relationship" from a legal point of view?

I know two (straight) guys who are buying a house together. This would probably apply to them.
Reply 143
I get near enough no loan as my mum and dad have amazing jobs, but I don't get money off them and currently I'm not able to work, so I'm low on funds I live at home but some books are expensive as is my bus pass!

My mum an dad would never let me go without but I don't want to ask for money and I shouldn't have to just cause my parents are good earners, I know people who have fiddled their family income an get stupid amounts but it's not worth fiddling it to me.
Reply 144
Original post by River85
I'm not referring to the odd educational trip. I'm referring to weekly outings to museums and heritage sites, for example. This is something that the state doesn't (and can't) subsidise, and there just isn't the spare time for these in the school year

To use some local examples to me. Say a child is studying Roman Britain one term. The more affluent parent (who is more likely to be in better health, has access to private transport and can afford entrance museum entrance fees and additional books) can take their child to Hadrian's Wall including several Roman forts. Then the Great North Museum in Newcastle the following week to see their Roman collection. Maybe even to other cities as far as London's British Museum. The next term the child could be studying Industrial life at the turn of the 20th century, so the parent takes them to museums such as Beamish. This doesn't just work for history but can be applied to other subjects such as geography.

A parent who is less well off may not be as mobile and able to take their child to such places due to finances and/or health.

Then there's technology such as computers, the internet and educational toys. Though less expensive than they once were, so no longer only available to middle class parents, they can still be a significant cost to a less well off parent.

Also, as I've already touched on in this thread, those who are less well off are more likely to experience chronic illness. Chronic illness can have a very disruptive effect on a child's education.

Exactly, a selective grammar school. Those attending had already demonstrated they were high achievers at age, what, 11? So a relatively late age.

I never meant to suggest that no one from a less well off background can't attain high educational standards, especially if they live in a relatively affluent area. What I am saying is that they are less likely to or will face more challenges.

An important part of this is also attitude. My parents were perhaps would you could call comfortably off, but never anywhere near well off. Nevertheless, they always had the attitude that education is important and were aspirational, always intent on me staying at school until 18 and then going to university. Your old students at the grammar school, even those less well off, probably had similar attitudes among their parents.

Similarly Middle class parents are also more likely to be quite devious and will manipulate the system thus making sure their child gets a place. For example my Uncle and Aunt didn't raise my cousin as Catholic. However, once they realised attending the local feeder school wouldn't guarentee them entry into the local high performing Catholic Secondary school (as it would me, and did my brother) they put on a show for a the local Priest and had her Baptised at age 10. This sort of behaviour is very common among middle class/aspirational parents.

If you really think that parental wealth has no effect on child educational outcomes then you need to familiarise yourself with the mass of academic work out there. Take two children at age 3 or 5, one from a low socio-economic background but the other from a higher socio-economic background. Both deemed to be equal in abiity. By age 11 the more middle class student will be outperforming the less well off student. By age 18 the difference can be even more apparent.

But there will always be some schools poorer than others. We can improve resources available to schools and can get better quality teachers (which is still not easy). But dealing with the problems of poverty, society and anti-social behaviour, including school truancy, and changing attitudes toward education is a lot more difficult.

Furthermore it will be always be the case that affluent parents can afford to do more for their child, including additional tutoring.

Oh, I don't know about that. I know several of several business owners who employ competent enough accountants. Though well off, I wouldn't describe them as "mega rich".

Firstly I'd start off by saying that life isn't fair full stop. People are born unequal in terms of intelligence, attractiveness, health, family wealth and so on. Whatever we do we can never iron out unfairness.

I don't think anybody on here would argue that the gifted poor need a leg up to get onto the further and higher education ladder but what there seems to be is that there is some kind of assumption that there is a magical switch at which point families go from being able to afford nothing to being able to afford everything. and I mean in terms of life and benefits in general not just financing students.

My own background wasn't rich, my working class dad was made unemployed in the recession hit 80s and then spent the rest of his working life doing cleaning jobs that were poorly paid. I was hugely proud of him, God rest his soul. When I first got married both me and my husband had okish wages and then found that happily were expecting the family we had wanted.

Then the doo doos really hit the air conditioning and the early 90s recession hit. We went from a dual income couple to a family with a new baby and both of us made redundant. With a bit of maths and figuring out we'd be on state support for the short term my husband became a full time student doing a vocational degree. The plan was that the economy would be on the rise as he graduated and indeed the risk paid off and he was. Gradually over the years we needed to claim less and less support and then pay more back into the state from whom we'd been reliant on. We've never got to the wealthy end of middle class but we're happy and for the most part healthy with two wonderful bright sons, one has recently graduated from uni and the other just started. Financially we are the squeezed middle that the OP is describing.

My point of this life story? that over the years of financial improvement we haven't seen a huge improvement in our living standards to the exponential level that you imagine. As we earned more we claimed less and that is fair, no complaints, as benefits should be there for when they are needed. But it is amazing how when you hit a threshold financially they assume you have money to burn. Below a threshold you get concessions for everything, prescriptions paid and so, the other side of the threshold you get nothing and if you hit a snag or want to go anywhere you have to fund it yourself.

My belief is that the Govt wants the squeezed middle to borrow money to fund their offspring to fuel the economy. A lot of these showy material things are got on loans or credit. Your parents may be smiling as they take you on these educational trips and get you a new laptop for your coursework but underneath they may be feeling the pain. They may not tell their offspring because they don't want them to worry. To the outside world it looks like they're affluent and coping but in reality they're borrowed up to the hilt (which the Govt wants) to fuel a "keeping up with the Joneses" lifestyle or to support their offspring. Having had the rug ripped from under us before when we had our first child we refuse to borrow massively and are not afraid to tell our sons we can't afford stuff when we really can't.

Sure there are some wealthy upper middles out there whose spoilt brats get everything but don't be fooled by all you apparently see.
Reply 145
Original post by Folion
Firstly I'd start off by saying that life isn't fair full stop. People are born unequal in terms of intelligence, attractiveness, health, family wealth and so on. Whatever we do we can never iron out unfairness.

I don't disagree with that. Exactly what I've already said. What exactly is your point?

I don't think anybody on here would argue that the gifted poor need a leg up to get onto the further and higher education ladder

I assume you mean you don't think there are people on here who won't argue poor people need a leg up. If so then you clearly haven't spent much time on this website. There are many people who will argue against the current funding that is in place for poorer students, many of these are not just trolling.

but what there seems to be is that there is some kind of assumption that there is a magical switch at which point families go from being able to afford nothing to being able to afford everything. and I mean in terms of life and benefits in general not just financing students.

I can't think of any benefit this applies to, except Child Benefit (which, until very recently, as a universal benefit).

Most income-based benefits, as you know, work on a sliding scale. Ultimately there does come a point when someone's income means they should be able to cope with typical living costs without state assistance.

It isn't the case that if your income is below, say, 15k you get an additional 5k, and if it's even one penny over you get no subsidy.

My point of this life story? that over the years of financial improvement we haven't seen a huge improvement in our living standards to the exponential level that you imagine.

I don't imagine you have seen a huge improvement in your living standards :dontknow: As a independent adult I do realise what the cost of living is like.

As we earned more we claimed less and that is fair, no complaints, as benefits should be there for when they are needed. But it is amazing how when you hit a threshold financially they assume you have money to burn.

There is no assumption that people have "money to burn". There is an assumption that you have enough money to support yourself and meet the essentials in life.

Are you able to support your family (meet life's essentials) without state assistance? I'm not talking about a more expensive car than you need, or second (or third) car, or second holiday, or even your child's Higher Education.

My belief is that the Govt wants the squeezed middle to borrow money to fund their offspring to fuel the economy.

Having children is not a right. If you can't afford them then don't have them. Or only have as many as you can afford.

Yes, I realise this also applies to others, including young single parents on a low income.

I also realise that, as you experienced yourself, incomes can fall over the course of a lifetime and this is impossible to predict. But in this case there's state support, in theory.

A lot of these showy material things are got on loans or credit.

For some families, yes. I don't deny this. I'm well aware of the levels of personal debt that preceeded the credit crunch.

But I don't see how this is relevant to the thread and student finance?

Your parents may be smiling as they take you on these educational trips and get you a new laptop for your coursework but underneath they may be feeling the pain.

I suspected by your tone, including telling me about the "recession hit 80s" and "recession in the early 90s" that I'm younger than I am.

I am 28 years old and remember both decades. My parents no longer buy me such things. When they did buy those things they did not buy them on credit, but with savings/their earnings.

I admit things were difficult in mid-1980s, in my first couple of years of life, as they stretched themselves with a large mortgage and my father's overtime was cut back (my mother stayed at home). This meant moving to a smaller, cheaper home. They only bought what they could afford. They did not buy these things on credit (besides new cars, which was just added to the mortgage).

We lived within our means. Holidaying in the UK (but for two holidays in the mid-90s), only having the one (relatively modest) car. No Sky TV until I was 17. It's just that my parents put their two children, and their chidren's education, first. Being relatively comfortably off they were able to do so.

Please don't make assumptions about what my parents did.

To the outside world it looks like they're affluent and coping but in reality they're borrowed up to the hilt (which the Govt wants) to fuel a "keeping up with the Joneses" lifestyle or to support their offspring. Having had the rug ripped from under us before when we had our first child we refuse to borrow massively and are not afraid to tell our sons we can't afford stuff when we really can't.e.

Yes, because the obsession with credit and borrowing worked so well pre-2008, didn't it?

That people may feel under pressure to live in as expensive a house as possible, have two or three cars (or one fairly expensive car), have all the latest technology and go on foreign holidays, says more about society as a whole and than it does the government.

All I'm saying is that children of middle class parents, even those who are only relatively comfortable off (and part of the squeezed middle) do have substantial advantages over poorer students and better educational outcomes as a result. Do you deny this?

As for Student Finance, I'm not wishing to stifle debate or suggest that some reform won't be beneficial. But we need a better proposition that just "get rid of the Mickey Mouse courses".
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by gamerhi
Dear The Student Room,

I'd like to ask your thoughts on something which greatly frustrates me, why is your maintenance loan/grant based on your parental income? Once you're 18, you're a man/woman grown, independent of your parents. You can apply for mortgages on your own, purchase alcohol, join the army without parental permission etc etc. So why is it that your financial status regarding student loan and grant depends on your parents? If you're 25 and apply for a mortgage on a house, they won't ask how much your parents earn. The same should be true for when you're 18.

As of now student's who's parents earn over around 43 thousand pounds are only eligible for a maintenance loan of £3575 when studying outside of London, this isn't enough to cover the cost of accommodation, never mind other costs associated with university, including extortionately priced textbooks and general maintenance. This isn't a problem for the mega rich and the molly coddled, but it is a problem for the squeezed middle. Why should they be expected to bank roll there children's university experience? When other students receive far more than needed from the state. A significant proportion of graduates will go on to earn over the £43000 pound threshold, how many of you would like to fund your children through university because they simply aren't given enough resources for there education.

I'd like equality for all, every student who will study at the age of 18 or above should be judged based on there own merit, not there parent's income.

But if my parents have more than enough money to support me abd are very happy to do so (given they don't stop caring about me when I hit 18) how is it a just or efficient use of state resources to give me a hefty loan I don't need?

Without going into the details of my family finances my parents can cover mine and my sister's rent and living out of income and not suffer much. Under your system someone from a much worse off background who's slightly less able (but still able to benefit from higher education) wouldn't be able to go to uni because the government ran out of funding giving me a large loan I really don't need? That seems both unfair and likely to lead to a waste of talent in a world where most Western countries are upskilling their workforce.

I ageee the current cut off is a too low (I think 65k is more realistic) but giving those of us who are well off large taxpayer backed loans we don't need on the basis of fairness seems perverse.

In terms of when it comes to my own turn, yes I I expect to be financially responsible for my offspring until they leave full time education.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Psyk
My parents were told the best way to finance me and my brother to go to university was to get divorced. Seems like something is broken if there is a financial incentive to split up.

It does seem a bit unfair that parents are expected to pay towards their child to go to university, yet they are under no legal compulsion to do so.

My mum's said that to me. If my parents were to divorce and I lived with my mum, what I'd get from SFE would nearly double...
Original post by River85
You will pay off what you pay off. Anything you don't pay off will be written off after a set amount of time. Where's the problem?

I guess you're right but I rather pay it all off, It would make me feel better knowing I have nothing to give back :smile:
Reply 149
Original post by maryamzahid
I guess you're right but I rather pay it all off, It would make me feel better knowing I have nothing to give back :smile:

But you'd be ok just straight up taking money from the tax payer if there were no tuition fees?
Reply 150
Original post by River85
Having children is not a right. If you can't afford them then don't have them. Or only have as many as you can afford.

I also realise that, as you experienced yourself, incomes can fall over the course of a lifetime and this is impossible to predict. But in this case there's state support, in theory. ".

I agree that having children is not a right but your second paragraph quoted above partially contradicts the first. You may think you can afford children or a certain number of children but life may suddenly take a dump on you. Even if life doesn't take a dump on you and you progress along the same line experiencing the same status how do you know that what you thought was affordable now will be so in the future? If, right now, you decided you could afford a child or children can you tell me what the status of higher education will be in 20 years time for certain? What will be the state of the economy in 20 years and Govt policy? Who, even, will be in power? I suspect however, that your first quoted paragraph was aimed at people currently on benefits who seem to serially spawn into double figures?

Original post by River85
I suspected by your tone, including telling me about the "recession hit 80s" and "recession in the early 90s" that I'm younger than I am.

I am 28 years old and remember both decades. My parents no longer buy me such things. When they did buy those things they did not buy them on credit, but with savings/their earnings.

I admit things were difficult in mid-1980s, in my first couple of years of life, as they stretched themselves with a large mortgage and my father's overtime was cut back (my mother stayed at home). This meant moving to a smaller, cheaper home. They only bought what they could afford. They did not buy these things on credit (besides new cars, which was just added to the mortgage).

We lived within our means. Holidaying in the UK (but for two holidays in the mid-90s), only having the one (relatively modest) car. No Sky TV until I was 17. It's just that my parents put their two children, and their chidren's education, first. Being relatively comfortably off they were able to do so.

Please don't make assumptions about what my parents did.".

I made no assumptions about anyone in this thread I merely outlined where my perspective is coming from and quoted you to respond to some of the issues raised. One thing I don't think I mentioned is that I was a student in the 80s and coming from a lower income family. My sons were/are students now from the squeezed middle. I know the financing system is different now to then but there was still the means testing which is essentially the same principle. I was given enough to get by on by the state some of my friends were not and had to rely on their parents, I'll come back to that below.

Original post by River85
Yes, because the obsession with credit and borrowing worked so well pre-2008, didn't it?

That people may feel under pressure to live in as expensive a house as possible, have two or three cars (or one fairly expensive car), have all the latest technology and go on foreign holidays, says more about society as a whole and than it does the government. .

And right now what is the Govt proposing as a partially remedy to our current national malaise? Getting people to spend. People could only spend because they were allowed credit in the first place and who allowed them credit? I might desire something all I like but if I can't get the funding even by borrowing I can't have it. Lenders have much to answer for imho. For the record I'm of a similar mind set to yourself and your parents on the affording things front.

Original post by River85
All I'm saying is that children of middle class parents, even those who are only relatively comfortable off (and part of the squeezed middle) do have substantial advantages over poorer students and better educational outcomes as a result. Do you deny this?.

I think here there's a confusion between class, income and savings in this debate as some people who might be defined as "working class" can have substantially more income than others defined as "middle class". For example my elder son who has graduated as an engineer is earning substantially less than most of the people on the production line of the same company. That's totally fair as he's just newly qualified but even a few rungs up the ladder you're only looking at parity of income. I'm not begrudging the line workers their money just saying that class definition doesn't always equate to income.

What I and I think the OP are meaning by "squeezed middle" is middle income not middle class.

Back to my point above about my student days and my friends who were from slightly "better off" backgrounds. The same scenario applies today where people are means tested and reliant of parent funding. The fact that parents hold the purse strings mean that they also wield power. Even if they aren't deliberately being ogres and think they are doing their best it means that they can control which Unis, what courses and even who their offspring associate with. Like so many we read about on this site I had friends who were restricted to their choices and behaviours more than I was "because their parents said so". Short of estrangement from ones family supposedly better off students are only able to attend uni by parental consent.

Furthermore my points are about people who applying for student funding to go to uni and are adults not under 18 minors who are still at school/college. At 18 you can be prosecuted and it not reflect on your parents, we can vote, you can get married without their permission and, indeed, may need a CRB check to be in certain environments because you are considered an autonomous adult capable of embezzlement or abuse without recourse to your parents. If we are considered to be mature entities to that extent why should it suddenly matter what your parents earn?

Original post by River85
As for Student Finance, I'm not wishing to stifle debate or suggest that some reform won't be beneficial. But we need a better proposition that just "get rid of the Mickey Mouse courses".

I've made no comment about validity of courses whatsoever and don't believe it is relevant to discussion about personal funding. I agree with you on this one.

Back when I was a student 30 years ago and means testing worked in my favour I believed it was wrong. Now further down the line as a parent of students I still do
Reply 151
Original post by gamerhi
Dear The Student Room,

I'd like to ask your thoughts on something which greatly frustrates me, why is your maintenance loan/grant based on your parental income? Once you're 18, you're a man/woman grown, independent of your parents. You can apply for mortgages on your own, purchase alcohol, join the army without parental permission etc etc. So why is it that your financial status regarding student loan and grant depends on your parents? If you're 25 and apply for a mortgage on a house, they won't ask how much your parents earn. The same should be true for when you're 18.

As of now student's who's parents earn over around 43 thousand pounds are only eligible for a maintenance loan of £3575 when studying outside of London, this isn't enough to cover the cost of accommodation, never mind other costs associated with university, including extortionately priced textbooks and general maintenance. This isn't a problem for the mega rich and the molly coddled, but it is a problem for the squeezed middle. Why should they be expected to bank roll there children's university experience? When other students receive far more than needed from the state. A significant proportion of graduates will go on to earn over the £43000 pound threshold, how many of you would like to fund your children through university because they simply aren't given enough resources for there education.

I'd like equality for all, every student who will study at the age of 18 or above should be judged based on there own merit, not there parent's income.

I can totally see where you're coming from; it annoys me that people who come from lower income families get so much money that they don't even need to work through uni. I've always needed a job throughout three years of uni, otherwise I would have had about £20 a week left over (in term time, not even including the holidays)

You're right, it's easy for the very rich whose parents can afford to pay their rent for them etc. but for those in the middle whose parents simply can't afford to do the same, it gets tough.

Saying all of this, I can't think of another way that the system could be worked out. It doesn't seem right for people with rich parents to get the same amount as those with poor parents either.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by gamerhi
X

I don't agree with the way student finance is disbursed and managed. I find that too little emphasis is placed upon one's academic achievement and simply too much is tied towards parental income.

I personally think unless you have ABB or above at A Levels you shouldn't even be eligible for any student loans let alone a grant. I personally think your eligibility for the £9k tuition fee loan should be based upon your A Levels results not an automatic eligibility. On the flipside, I believe if you graduate with a 65% or above then the amount you owe on the tuition fee loan should be discounted by 50% and if you have a 1st in a STEM subject then your loan should be converted to a scholarship (subject to T&Cs obviously)

In regard to maintenance loan, I don't think after you turn 18 anything should be based upon your parents' income. Everyone should be eligible for a £7k loan if they are admitted to university and there should be no grants regardless of circumstances as I believe if you need to be given monetary enticement to do something academically then you simply aren't university material. However I do support up to 50% of the loan being converted to be a grant dependent upon academic performance.
Original post by Ruffiio
Master race full student loan and grant and accommodation costs written off so don't have to pay any accommodation because my parents are poor, you jelly? :aetsch:

Not particularly considering youll leave university with no understanding of money. Im proud to say my parents work hard for a living. Its completely unfair as people like my parents are funding your education where as your parents are benefitting no one essentially making them a waste of space. Hopefully you aspire to be better than them and pay back THEIR debts to society

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending