Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

The Official Ask Aston Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by Aston University
Hi,

This one is one for our engineering admissions team, if you shoot an email at [email protected] they should be in touch with you at some point.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help.

Josh

Thanks!
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Hiya,
I am a year 12 student who recently found out about the scholarship programme for Aston's Medical School for disadvantaged students at partner schools in the area. Seeing as my school has partnered up with the uni I had a look online to find a deadline for application forms to be submitted and found that for the first cohort of students, applications would open in April of year 12 and close in May. 100 successful students would then be chosen to participate in the programme. Does this mean that I can no longer apply because we are now in June and most likely for the second cohort of students the applications would open the following year where I will no longer be in year 12?

Many thanks.
Original post by halima25
Hiya,
I am a year 12 student who recently found out about the scholarship programme for Aston's Medical School for disadvantaged students at partner schools in the area. Seeing as my school has partnered up with the uni I had a look online to find a deadline for application forms to be submitted and found that for the first cohort of students, applications would open in April of year 12 and close in May. 100 successful students would then be chosen to participate in the programme. Does this mean that I can no longer apply because we are now in June and most likely for the second cohort of students the applications would open the following year where I will no longer be in year 12?

Many thanks.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, i had to make a few calls around the university. We are still currently accepting applications for the medical school, so pointing out where you found that information would be really useful, especially if it's on our website so we can see to changing it.

If you're still interested in making an application please email Rachel Burn from the AMS office at: [email protected]

Hope that helps.

Josh
Reply 703
Going into panic mode, applied for English Lang but think I'm going to get CCD..

what are the chances of being offered a joint honours with them grades if the course is under subscribed or would that be a straight rejection?? thanks
Hey,

So I am an Int. Business and Management offer holder for DBB (Which I am skeptical about getting into with my expected D*BC), and I had a few questions.

I received an email stating that changes had been made to IBAM's Programme Specification (with a revised .PDF) on the 9th May, however, I am unable to identify the changes as it does not state them directly. Is there any easier way to see these changes?

Secondly, would the number of students applying for a course affect admissions? I respect that you can't give too much info regarding admissions, but IBAM (at least on the offer holder's open day) seemed extremely empty in comparison to the Marketing course, for example. Whilst I would expect there to be a fair few international students who couldn't make the open day (especially on IBAM), I wouldn't have imagined that it would make the course any closer to the number of students taking more popular courses. Would this mean that,since there are less students contesting and competing for the course, they will be more flexible with accepting grades that did not meet the requirements?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Lenny
Original post by Kay_96
Going into panic mode, applied for English Lang but think I'm going to get CCD..

what are the chances of being offered a joint honours with them grades if the course is under subscribed or would that be a straight rejection?? thanks

Hi Kay,

Sorry for the slow response, i've just worked a UCAS fair in Bangor and i'm the only one from Aston who uses TSR.

Unfortunately i can't speculate on entry requirements, often clearing grades will fluctuate and offers for alternative courses will be made. However a four grade fluctuation is quite drastic, the most i have seen entry requirements drop at Aston has been by three grades.

I can only wish you all the best on results day and i hope panic mode is exactly that; panic mode. I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Josh
Original post by Lenners
Hey,

So I am an Int. Business and Management offer holder for DBB (Which I am skeptical about getting into with my expected D*BC), and I had a few questions.

I received an email stating that changes had been made to IBAM's Programme Specification (with a revised .PDF) on the 9th May, however, I am unable to identify the changes as it does not state them directly. Is there any easier way to see these changes?

Secondly, would the number of students applying for a course affect admissions? I respect that you can't give too much info regarding admissions, but IBAM (at least on the offer holder's open day) seemed extremely empty in comparison to the Marketing course, for example. Whilst I would expect there to be a fair few international students who couldn't make the open day (especially on IBAM), I wouldn't have imagined that it would make the course any closer to the number of students taking more popular courses. Would this mean that,since there are less students contesting and competing for the course, they will be more flexible with accepting grades that did not meet the requirements?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Lenny

Hi Lenny,

Thanks for your question, sorry for a somewhat slow reply:

1) This will be something you'll need to take up directly with the ABS admissions team, they should be able to cut through the fine print. It may be something as simple as a degree title change or inclusion of a new module, shoot Emma from our admissions team an email at: [email protected]

2) You would be right in saying application numbers effect the entry requirements of a course, however many other factors effect entry requirements such as the grades of other applicants.However open day attendance may not be a direct indicator of the number of applications. Like you said, unfortunately i can't speculate. Sit tight and i hope you're offered a place on results day.
Hi, I think I made a mistake for the course I put down on ucas. Do you think it'd be possible if I emailed Aston and asked them to change my offer for a different course? Or would I have to go through the clearing process
Is it possible if I miss my offer this year to get in through clearing for the foundation year?
Reply 709
Hi! I'm interested in going to Aston as my first choice to study Computer science and taking a placement year, for my placement year, I was thinking about going abroad ideally to New Zealand because I think it's a really nice country for work and leisure. The problem is that New Zealand isn't a country under the Erasmus Programme, does this mean that I would be unable to do a work placement in New Zealand and instead choose a country within the programme?
Or would I have to find my own work placement?
Reply 710
Hi Josh, I've applied to Aston for Psychology (firm). I had a small question regarding parking. I've read on the website that the campus doesn't accommodate for student parking officially. It has stated that there are some roads, but these are usually "snapped up early". I actually ride a motorbike and was wondering if it would be at all possible to bring this onto campus somewhere and park. Is there anything suitable like this for a motorbike, maybe near the accommodation on campus (as I intend to be living in halls)? Motorbikes do tend to be inconspicuous compared to cars when it comes to parking ^^

Thanks!
Yahya
Original post by snakebite25
Hi, I think I made a mistake for the course I put down on ucas. Do you think it'd be possible if I emailed Aston and asked them to change my offer for a different course? Or would I have to go through the clearing process

Hi,

Sorry to hear that, the appropriate action will most likely depend on how big the switch is. For example switching from Biology to Biomedical Engineering may be easier than switching from Chemistry to Law.

The best course of action will be to contact the admissions team in relation to the subject you applied for, if you let me know i can point you in the right direction.

Hope that helps
Josh
Original post by Dinasaurus
Is it possible if I miss my offer this year to get in through clearing for the foundation year?

Hi,

Often if eligible for a foundation year we will make an offer to you on results day, however if you meet the entry requirements and don't receive any contact please do call up.

Josh
Original post by Dezzy9
Hi! I'm interested in going to Aston as my first choice to study Computer science and taking a placement year, for my placement year, I was thinking about going abroad ideally to New Zealand because I think it's a really nice country for work and leisure. The problem is that New Zealand isn't a country under the Erasmus Programme, does this mean that I would be unable to do a work placement in New Zealand and instead choose a country within the programme?
Or would I have to find my own work placement?

Hi,

Thanks for making us your firm choice, in regards to our placement year you will not be limited to just Erasmus countries a friend of mine just finished her placement in Australia. You will be required to find a work placement even if you wish to remain in the UK for your placement year. The placement process is almost identical to applying to a job. However don't let that put you off.

We have both our Careers + Placements team who will help you with the application and interview process. Within that team there is also a subsection who focus on international placements. They will help with things such as visa applications. Best idea is to start early and pop into the Careers + Placements centre in first year.

Good luck in your exams

Josh
Original post by Ayhay
Hi Josh, I've applied to Aston for Psychology (firm). I had a small question regarding parking. I've read on the website that the campus doesn't accommodate for student parking officially. It has stated that there are some roads, but these are usually "snapped up early". I actually ride a motorbike and was wondering if it would be at all possible to bring this onto campus somewhere and park. Is there anything suitable like this for a motorbike, maybe near the accommodation on campus (as I intend to be living in halls)? Motorbikes do tend to be inconspicuous compared to cars when it comes to parking ^^

Thanks!
Yahya

Good question,

Generally car parking is not available to those living in student accommodation. However being a motorcyclist you won't be required to use formal parking either on Jennens road or under the AstroTurf football pitch. There is some parking at the lower left side of the building for motorcyclists.

However this may be allocated for commuting students, best course of action is to send an email to: [email protected] They should have more information.

Hope that helps

Josh
What is date does the term begin for freshers, UCAS says that it starts on the 1st October which does seem very late but on the Aston website it says the 21st September? Is the date on UCAS for the beginning of my course which is International business?
Original post by showjumper007
What is date does the term begin for freshers, UCAS says that it starts on the 1st October which does seem very late but on the Aston website it says the 21st September? Is the date on UCAS for the beginning of my course which is International business?

Hi,

Term starts on 14 September 2016 for international students and 19 September 2016 for home students.

I believe the 1st of October is the point which you're registered as being fully enrolled, there is a grace period in the first two weeks. In which course fees and maintenance loans can be revoked and you can leave your course debt free.

Hope that helps

Josh
I applied for Computer Science at Aston back in early April, immediately sent documents that were asked of me in May and they said that they'd get back to me with a response.
Still waiting...
Called and asked and they said the application was still being considered by the programme director, they won't give me a simple yes or no so I can at least plan for something else.

Aston is the university that I'd most like to study at. However, by July 14th UCAS just deems any application that hasn't had a response as unsuccessful and they said that they're aware of this. That's what I'm worried is happening here, my application will just run up to that date and then automatically be unsuccessful, what would be the point of making me wait for so long if they're just going to do that?

I feel like I'm being held hostage here because I can't make any contingency plans until I've had a response through UCAS. Again, Aston is the university I most want to study at but it's looking more and more like they're just waiting until the cut off date. I don't know what to do. They said not to withdraw my application because it's still being considered...

Could someone ask the programme director to check it please? I can provide my UCAS number and Aston Applicant ID by private message.

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
I got James watt aswell but studying marketing
Original post by rhys_cw
Hey all :-)

Just got my accommodation offer, anyone else staying in James Watt? I'm studying Politics and International relations. Buzzing.

See you there
Original post by blueand
I applied for Computer Science at Aston back in early April, immediately sent documents that were asked of me in May and they said that they'd get back to me with a response.
Still waiting...
Called and asked and they said the application was still being considered by the programme director, they won't give me a simple yes or no so I can at least plan for something else.

Aston is the university that I'd most like to study at. However, by July 14th UCAS just deems any application that hasn't had a response as unsuccessful and they said that they're aware of this. That's what I'm worried is happening here, my application will just run up to that date and then automatically be unsuccessful, what would be the point of making me wait for so long if they're just going to do that?

I feel like I'm being held hostage here because I can't make any contingency plans until I've had a response through UCAS. Again, Aston is the university I most want to study at but it's looking more and more like they're just waiting until the cut off date. I don't know what to do. They said not to withdraw my application because it's still being considered...

Could someone ask the programme director to check it please? I can provide my UCAS number and Aston Applicant ID by private message.

Thanks.

Hi,

Sorry to hear your frustrations. If you send your UCAS number and applicant ID by private message as you mentioned, i will be able to chase this with the admissions team for you.

In addition, a email address may be useful in case they wish to communicate with you directly.

Hope that helps

Josh

Quick Reply

Latest