The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deshi
This is a bit random but it's been bugging me for a while and as an economist I find it embarrassing. I just realised the other day that I'm not a 100% sure how income tax in the UK works.

For example, if you're earning 40k a year, ~£7000 of it is non-taxable (or personal allowance). Leaving you with £33000 to be taxed. But then does this mean that the amount of income tax you pay is 40% of 33k?

Looks like its too much!

Nope, as far as I'm aware (technically I should I know as I got taxed like a bitch last year and didn't really check my payslips) there are different tax brackets so I'm pretty sure a certain amount of the next 20k or something is taxed at 20/25% or something, and then anything else from 27k onwards taxed at a different amount. It's cumulative if that makes any sense...? :holmes:

I may be completely wrong though - you may have to ask someone in the real world!

Just watched Safehouse - good film.
What Natty said.
Hello!

Just taking a break from training! Rio was up to his usual pranks today; Rene and myself couldn't stop laughing!

Off to grab a sandwich and relax before the big game tonight!

MP
Reply 9383
Original post by R-KAM
Same old place, near Glasgow. Who is we, tbh?

Not much of an ambush if I know it's coming :mmm:

:toofunny:

Shup :colonhash: It's a way into the O&G industry :colonhash:

Have you finished with uni now then? Get a job ffs :colonhash:

Very nice, any idea on where you plan on visiting? :h:

Thank you, but sometimes these things just have to be done :bawling:

O&G you say. I'll get you in there :sexface:
Reply 9384
Considering I will be getting my first car at some point over the summer and it will be the first time I have ever been near an insurance policy, how will I get insurance for under £3000, preferably £2000 :colonhash:
Reply 9385
I got mine for £1000. Dunno how.
Reply 9386
What car should I look to get for a first car when I pass :beard: I will probably want to spend between £1000-£2000 on the car and not really above £3000 for the insurance.

I probably won't be able to go on to anyone else's insurance as I don't live with parents etc.
Reply 9387
A VW Golf.
Reply 9388
Original post by Deshi
A VW Golf.

Is that a boy racer type car :beard: And will I be crushed to bits if someone crashes in to me :awesome:
You do realise your new job is selling insurance?

Buy my clio tbh.
Reply 9390
Original post by Colbert
You do realise your new job is selling insurance?

Buy my clio tbh.

I am hoping that they will be able to help me out in some sort of way as they have links with all the major insurance companies :beard:

Have you ever actually driven it :rofl2: What model etc is it?
Original post by Mess.
I am hoping that they will be able to help me out in some sort of way as they have links with all the major insurance companies :beard:

Have you ever actually driven it :rofl2: What model etc is it?

It dawned on me reading this back that I am also in the same industry at the moment :facepalm2:

My gorgeous car sits at home tbf, it's a 53 plate which means it is basically brand new imo. £5k or nearest offer.
Original post by Colbert
It dawned on me reading this back that I am also in the same industry at the moment :facepalm2:

My gorgeous car sits at home tbf, it's a 53 plate which means it is basically brand new imo. £5k or nearest offer.

God you guys crumble :facepalm2:

Tell me all you know about assessment centres please bbz :flutter:
Reply 9393
5k for a 9 year old Clio :eyebrow:
Reply 9394
Original post by Colbert

I will have dealings with Aviva and by virtue your failure of a company :facepalm2:

I refuse to even acknowledge such ****ty negotiating tactics :colonhash:

Original post by R-KAM
5k for a 9 year old Clio :eyebrow:

What car did you have :beard:
Reply 9395
Original post by Mess.
What car did you have :beard:

I had a 51 plate Clio originally. Then a 07 plate Puegeot 307 and now a 10 plate Honda Civic :love:

I'd recommend the latter :coma:

What you thinking of getting?
Reply 9396
Original post by R-KAM
I had a 51 plate Clio originally. Then a 07 plate Puegeot 307 and now a 10 plate Honda Civic :love:

I'd recommend the latter :coma:

What you thinking of getting?

Whatever bull**** car I can actually afford as I have absolutely zero knowledge of cars :awesome:
Honda Civic. :coma:

Much prefer the old-style (mid-late 90s) ones though. :erm:
Reply 9398
Original post by Mess.
Whatever bull**** car I can actually afford as I have absolutely zero knowledge of cars :awesome:

:lol:

Go for as low and engine and cheap a car as possible, fuel is a ****ing bitch. Unless you're new job will make you loaded tbh.
Reply 9399
Original post by R-KAM
:lol:

Go for as low and engine and cheap a car as possible, fuel is a ****ing bitch. Unless you're new job will make you loaded tbh.

I can afford a car up to about £2000 but I really don't want to pay more than £3000 for insurance. After just checking comparison sites I am yet to find any generic car than I can get the insurance low enough for :facepalm2:

Latest