The Student Room Group

Primary Education 2012 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1440
Hi, I had mine at Hertfordshire about 3 weeks ago - still haven't heard back though!? We had a presentation about the uni etc first, then had to do an English test which you write about what makes a good teacher etc, and then we were given a book which we had to get into groups and say how we'd use it in a class and then in smaller groups present it back to the interviewer, and then we just had a single interview, they where quite laid back though so don't worry too much, good luck!

Original post by Tara Jessica
Hi,

Has anyone had an interview at Hertfordshire Uni this year? If so would you mind telling me what it was like, what you had to do etc...

Thanks so much!
Original post by JessicaBAtkinson
Is there anyone else who is thinking of firming nottingham trent or leeds met?? I can't decide which! Or just anyone know anything good/bad about either city??

Thank you! :smile:

I'm thinking of firming Nottingham Trent. Wish I was going to Leeds but they lost my application and so didn't have time to interview me. :/
Original post by Miss Sweet
Hey guys need a little help on whether i should do the 'CHILDHOOD STUDIES' Degree and then the PGCE???? As i've been rejected from primary education...any help would be much appreciated taaa :smile:

That's my back-up if I don't get in, I think it's the next best thing :smile:
Original post by HLouiseB
Hi, I had mine at Hertfordshire about 3 weeks ago - still haven't heard back though!? We had a presentation about the uni etc first, then had to do an English test which you write about what makes a good teacher etc, and then we were given a book which we had to get into groups and say how we'd use it in a class and then in smaller groups present it back to the interviewer, and then we just had a single interview, they where quite laid back though so don't worry too much, good luck!

Thanks that was really helpful- good luck, i hope you find out soon.
Reply 1444
Original post by Mollieee
Can ANYBODY give me some advice for the Northumbria Interview?!
Mines on wednesday and I'm really stressing out!
What are the maths and english tests like?
And what presentation topics do they give you?
PLEEASEE

Hey :-) I had an interview for Northumbria back in November and got a conditional offer.
Don't stress yourself too much, it was really relaxed tbh. I quite enjoyed the day. The tests aren't really easy, but they aren't hard either. With me they gave me a link to a website which I could practice the tests on, and the tests they actually give you when your there are really really similar so try to get some last minute practice on them :smile:.
I can't really remember the presentation topic I got, but from what I remember they have absolutely loads of different ones and the one you get is simply luck of the draw. But don't worry about it, you get time to gather your ideas and prepare it. Just be confident and you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 1445
Original post by MillieMillz
Is anyone still waiting to hear of Bedford,Nottingham Trent and Chester???
Ive been waiting for AGEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS and Ive not heard anything :frown:

I don't know if you've heard back yet or not, but I had an interview at Chester at the beginning of January and it took them forever to get back to me with my offer
Hey did you get a rejection too? i got one from YSJ but i am just going with my other offers have you not got any others??

nope, i've been rejected from everywhere apart from the CHILDHOOD STUDIES COURSE @ HUDD UNI and am soo confused as to whether to take it on or now and if i'll be able to get onto the pgce later on.....:s-smilie:
nope, i've been rejected from everywhere apart from the CHILDHOOD STUDIES COURSE @ HUDD UNI and am soo confused as to whether to take it on or now and if i'll be able to get onto the pgce later on.....:s-smilie:

You SHOULD be able to get on the pgce course, but if you're really uncertain, email the university and ask. You've now got a few choices I guess; accept the course and maybe do the pgce later if you can,(or once on the course, you MAY be able to switch to the primary ed course if it's in that uni?). You could rejected it, and go into clearing. But if you're to do this, it has to be quick, as the last interviews are in april (I know that chester's last one is the 18th), otherwise it would have to be a non-interview subject. or, you reapply next year.
But I would definately email the uni and ask if you can still do the pgce after doing that course :smile:

PGCE's are competitive and doing a child orientated degree doesn't guarantee you a place. I'd recommend not taking a course you're unsure of- you have to be able to sustain interest for 3 years. Why not take a gap year and reapply for primary ed of its what you really want to do?
Original post by Amara94
Mine is the 18th of April! when is yours? I've been going through all the forums on here about interviews at University of Greenwich and i cant find any! Is yours a group interview, Im worried about that too :/

Oo mine's the 18th of April too! And yeah, I'm dead nervous about the group interview too :\ and same, I don't really know what to expect so I'm panicking a bitttttt, aah.
Has anyone had an interview at Middlesex?
Reply 1451
Original post by icnthelpit
Finally decided on St Mary's Uni as my firm :biggrin: Anyone else? :smile:

I have an interview there tomorrow, just wondered what the group activity was and what kind of questions they asked in the individual interview.. Thanksss :smile:
Original post by glitterphobia
I'm thinking of firming Nottingham Trent. Wish I was going to Leeds but they lost my application and so didn't have time to interview me. :/

Aww yay no nottingham is great though!! :smile: My name is jess :smile: which accomodation do you think you're going to stay in??
Original post by JAPDR
Hello my interview is on wednesday 21st March when is yours?

Ah Kay.. mine is on the 17th of April... How did it go.. what was the interview like?
Reply 1454
Is there anyone else who is thinking of firming nottingham trent or leeds met?? I can't decide which! Or just anyone know anything good/bad about either city??

Thank you! :smile:

aahh i had exactly the same problem, it was such a hard choice! haha, i finally went for notts as first, and leeds as insurance! purely becuase leeds has lower ucas points (just in case) haha and its only 3 years, which makes me think the work load may be a bit heavier.
Original post by sk336
I have an interview there tomorrow, just wondered what the group activity was and what kind of questions they asked in the individual interview.. Thanksss :smile:

group: (group of about 5 people) you're given about 5 titles, and you choose one and discuss it, then present it to rest ofpeople in the room (no more than about 15 people in the room, all as nervous as you, don't worry!) oh, the titles are along the lines of languages, homework and extra cirricular learning.
Individual: 5 standardised q's: why that course, why should they choose you, a lesson you observed that was good. erm.. qualitites of a good teacher...
sorry that's all I can remember :s-smilie: hope that helps! :smile:
Original post by icnthelpit
You SHOULD be able to get on the pgce course, but if you're really uncertain, email the university and ask. You've now got a few choices I guess; accept the course and maybe do the pgce later if you can,(or once on the course, you MAY be able to switch to the primary ed course if it's in that uni?). You could rejected it, and go into clearing. But if you're to do this, it has to be quick, as the last interviews are in april (I know that chester's last one is the 18th), otherwise it would have to be a non-interview subject. or, you reapply next year.
But I would definately email the uni and ask if you can still do the pgce after doing that course :smile:

Thanks for the help and yes i asked the uni and they said that many of their students go on to do a PGCE, oh and i forgot to mention that this degree includes the EYPS qualification, so in a way it's pretty good. I think it's better than doing an english degree because i'll be more motivated throughout the year, but still i feel soo confused and really don't want to take the wrong step especially with the uni fees this year :s-smilie:
Original post by thompsonic7
PGCE's are competitive and doing a child orientated degree doesn't guarantee you a place. I'd recommend not taking a course you're unsure of- you have to be able to sustain interest for 3 years. Why not take a gap year and reapply for primary ed of its what you really want to do?

yeah thats true aswell and i think it's better in the way that it's more intresting to me than doing an english degree. Do you think sixth form would allow me to do another year? what should i say about the reason?? I don't want a gap year, i'd rather do another year at sixth form and upp my grades as well as gain experience at a school, what do you think?
yeah thats true aswell and i think it's better in the way that it's more intresting to me than doing an english degree. Do you think sixth form would allow me to do another year? what should i say about the reason?? I don't want a gap year, i'd rather do another year at sixth form and upp my grades as well as gain experience at a school, what do you think?

It really depends on your school- mine don't allow anyone to resit the year (AS or A2) unless there are exceptional mitigating circumstances. Your best bet is just to ask.

If you only have one A level you want to improve, I'd recommend reteaching it yourself with the help of a tutor. That way your days are free to get some serious work experience in- full days in primary schools, helping at nurseries, after school clubs, playgroups and stuff like that. It will really make your application stand out.
Thanks for the help and yes i asked the uni and they said that many of their students go on to do a PGCE, oh and i forgot to mention that this degree includes the EYPS qualification, so in a way it's pretty good. I think it's better than doing an english degree because i'll be more motivated throughout the year, but still i feel soo confused and really don't want to take the wrong step especially with the uni fees this year :s-smilie:

Yeah, i would look at alternatives. You could take a gap year? or stay on at college? That way you'll have your grades, and can get extra experience, and hopefully then you'll be given an unconditional :biggrin: but that obviously depends on whether you want to prolong it another year?

Quick Reply

Latest