The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ageshallnot
Not 'a lot of the time' because they received your result the weekend prior and have already decided you weren't good enough. It happens very rarely that way.

Sometimes, then.
Any unis that don't allow missing your grade under any circumstances?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hydeman
Don't worry about it. :smile: As jneill explained, universities know from experience that most predictions are quite optimistic:

Wait to see what happens on results day, and if you have missed your offer, make sure to call your university and ask if they'll take you anyway. Sometimes they do, so it's worth doing that before despairing too much.

Thank you so much for the reassurance. I haven't even sat my exams yet, but applying for accommodation/visiting the uni itself has made it seem very real and I've fallen in love with Bristol, but can't even get excited at the prospect of moving there because it's all dependent on results. Anyway, I guess deliberating over results isn't a productive use of time, which could otherwise be put towards revision… Thank you so much for all the info though- it's been a great help! :smile:
Original post by Themathgeek

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. "Even" Oxford and Cambridge *sometimes* give some leeway. It REALLY depends on the circumstances. e.g. for maths they *might* overlook a miss in a non-maths subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not definitive, but the most common strictest unis are Oxford, Cambridge, imperial, Durham

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mizzsnazzter
It's not definitive, but the most common strictest unis are Oxford, Cambridge, imperial, Durham

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great 3/5 places I plan on applying to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great 3/5 places I plan on applying to

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it helps, it's not possible to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge simultaneously. :dontknow:
Original post by Hydeman
Sometimes, then.

It happens a lot that people are accepted with missed grades.....but not because they call up on results day.

The ONLY time an applicant should call on results day is if they've missed their offer AND their Track hasn't updated. And it isn't to beg or ask to be accepted it is purely to find out the decision that has already been made by a university that got the grades days before (or in the case of Durham to find out how long they're planning to keep applicants in limbo this year while they play the field in clearing)
Original post by Hydeman
If it helps, it's not possible to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge simultaneously. :dontknow:

Hence the 3/5 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
As an international student coming from Argentina, i was asked to complete two years with an 8 to 10 grade(AAA to A*A*A*) in Licenciatura( Bachelor) in a subject related to what i was applying (Neuroscience) .
I applied to Nottingham,Manchester,UCL,QML and KCL with a 7 (BBB).
I was rejected by UCL,KCL and QML. However, UCL was the only one that rejected me because of my grade;while KCl and QML did it for not having predicted grades. This was just unfair as Argentina never gives predicted grades; final grades depend on an oral exam. Fortunately, i was accepted by Nottingham and Manchester.
I am now about to take the IELTS and both universities are waiting a result of 6.5 to make my offer unconditional.
I had a good personal statement, a good letter of recommendation and good background ,so that may had helped me.

Good luck to all!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1670
is Lancaster a lenient university on results day ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by axs
How lenient will the universities be this year??

It's impossible to say. It depends on the university, the course, how many offer-holders missed their offers, the other parts of your application, how much you missed your offer by, and so on.
Reply 1672
Original post by Hydeman
It's impossible to say. It depends on the university, the course, how many offer-holders missed their offers, the other parts of your application, how much you missed your offer by, and so on.

I hope Lancaster are lenient :frown:
Original post by axs
I hope Lancaster are lenient :frown:

Try not to worry about it - if your exams are over, then just try to make the most of summer. If not, then make every effort to do as well as you can on your remaining ones. Whether or not leniency is granted (or indeed, even required) is a worry for results day. Just try to chill basically. :smile:
Reply 1674
Thankyou! :smile:
i got in to uni with a c :smile:
Any success stories for the university of Sheffield? I applied for History and Russian, my offer is BBB+B with EPQ but I will probably most likely end up with BBC :frown:
Original post by Fleming1928
Any success stories for the university of Sheffield? I applied for History and Russian, my offer is BBB+B with EPQ but I will probably most likely end up with BBC :frown:

BBB at a2 for AAA law course. You will be fine, especially now that the abb+ student cap has been removed. I really wouldn't worry :smile:
Reply 1678
Original post by shawtyb
i got in to uni with a c :smile:

Which university? If you don't mind me asking :smile:
Original post by axs
Which university? If you don't mind me asking :smile:

university of essex :smile:
there real easy to get in but there quite good imo

Latest

Trending

Trending