The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants for 2012 entry (& Offers - for when they're given!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
i was originally skeptical abt whether i made the right choice too wen i chose archi, but in the end i figured its a good basis for any career in design anyway so i stick by my decision. i look forward wt the course has to offer.
Reply 61
Hey, long time no post.

Just a little update,

I went to University of Leeds open day yesterday and attended a talk on civil engineering which includes architectural engineering. There's no pure architecture course at Leeds.

After asking a few questions, I get to know that the degree is MEng and not RIBA. so is architectural engineering is as same as the common architecture course? Just wondering.

p.s - I'm from Malaysia, just happened to be at Leeds and there's an open day :biggrin:
Reply 62
Hi guys! I'll be applying to UCL and Manchester. :biggrin:
Reply 63
Original post by Vesselina
I would also love to study architecture :smile: and I consider applying for some unis in Scotland since the 2012 fee changes do not apply for Scottish inversities.

As I have some months to think matters through I would appreciate it if you could give me some info on which university you like best and why. :redface:

for you to miss out on tuition fees you have to be a scotish residents which applies after living there for at least 2 years, just so you know
Reply 64
Original post by LOUDLOUD
for you to miss out on tuition fees you have to be a scotish residents which applies after living there for at least 2 years, just so you know

or you have to be a EU citizen.
Reply 65
Hi all, I'm applying this September as well. Anyone going to UCL on Thursday for the architecture lecture? I'm attending the talk at 12:15. Might see some of you there :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by riotjane
Hi all, I'm applying this September as well. Anyone going to UCL on Thursday for the architecture lecture? I'm attending the talk at 12:15. Might see some of you there :smile:

So how was it?
Reply 67
Original post by irina793
So how was it?

Overall my impression was that it is a very 'arty' department. The presentation given emphasized a lot on creativity and artistic side of things - if it was about an experimental fine art course it would actually fit pretty well. He mentioned the application numbers as well - 2000 applications, 400 invited to interview for 100 places (grim numbers... :frown:).

As for the uni on the whole, I didn't really get to explore it since my friends and I were busy trying to go to other places in London (and that I only attended the arch talk) :P But they did open the degree show earlier especially for us to see, and from the quick glance I had around it looked really good (from a purely aesthetical perspective since I didn't get enough time to read about their work). But of course the concepts are more important :smile: Compared with what I saw at Birmingham City, there seemed to be lot less models of traditional 'buildings'.

So, where are all the people applying to architecture this year? :biggrin: Frankly I'm still thinking about whether to do foundation or not.
Reply 68

But of course the concepts are more important :smile: Compared with what I saw at Birmingham City, there seemed to be lot less models of traditional 'buildings'..

I didn't have the leisure time to visit Birm City last time I was in the UK.If you don't mind can you tell me about the course and how you like it or not?

p.s - I saw two girls on the tube having badges on the shirt read : "UCL Open Day" I didn't know about the open day or else I would've visited UCL as well :frown: now I'm back in Malaysia, can't do anything about it.
Reply 69
Original post by elafyf
I didn't have the leisure time to visit Birm City last time I was in the UK.If you don't mind can you tell me about the course and how you like it or not?

p.s - I saw two girls on the tube having badges on the shirt read : "UCL Open Day" I didn't know about the open day or else I would've visited UCL as well :frown: now I'm back in Malaysia, can't do anything about it.

Ah, I was only able to go to the degree show but not the open day this time around. I actually live in Birmingham, so if you want to know about the city I can tell you all about it. The information sheet I got at the course said that year 1-3 were centred around Habitation, Production and Mobility. In terms of the work, it seems more realistic, but I think you'll probably get a better idea either from their blog: www.bsa-y1-habitation.blogspot.com or from TSR architects :tongue:
Anyone know if UCL are picky with the GCSE Modern language requirement? I hope they aren't. I have everything else, but that! :frown:
Reply 71
Hi all,
Im going to apply this september (unfortunately I could have applied last september) but was unsure which course I wanted to do,
architecture to begin with was a big umm... things i was questioning myself like:
can i afford 7 years
would i last that long,
am I good enough to cope in such a competitive environment???
Well now Im sure I want to do architecture all of the above questions will be answered in time!
The unis I will be applying to are (hopefully):
Cambridge
Oxford brookes
Bath
Cardiff (not so hot on)
not sure about a 5th choice...
obviously cambridge will be a firm if i get a place then bath, and then oxford brookes.
We shall see...
Reply 72
hi,
i am also applying for architecture this september, i am thinking about cardiff(welsh school of archi..), please clear my doubt regarding the duration of course? as i understand its just a 5 yrs course instead of six yrs (other univs), is it true that we save one year by studying in this school? it is also holding a good ranking..
thanx in advance
Original post by sandy42900
hi,
i am also applying for architecture this september, i am thinking about cardiff(welsh school of archi..), please clear my doubt regarding the duration of course? as i understand its just a 5 yrs course instead of six yrs (other univs), is it true that we save one year by studying in this school? it is also holding a good ranking..
thanx in advance

Yeah, the course at Cardiff is shorter and it is a very good school.
Reply 74
Original post by elafyf
Hey, long time no post.

Just a little update,

I went to University of Leeds open day yesterday and attended a talk on civil engineering which includes architectural engineering. There's no pure architecture course at Leeds.

After asking a few questions, I get to know that the degree is MEng and not RIBA. so is architectural engineering is as same as the common architecture course? Just wondering.

p.s - I'm from Malaysia, just happened to be at Leeds and there's an open day :biggrin:

Hi :smile:
i applied for both architecture and architectural engineering and they are quite different. Arch eng isn't RIBA accredited so it can't be used towards being an architect :frown: (although it'd be majorly useful in getting a place on a riba course). Arch eng is also much less design and model making and more science and maths based. Pure arch is more design orientated and requires more of a creative flare to do well at.

The similarities are that you do design structures (for example in cardiff the first thing you do is design a bridge i was told) using CAD but eng is less imaginative im assuming. Having a MEng allows you to go into structural orientated jobs and careers and you're more likely to get a job.

In short, Arch eng is more science and maths and less creative and design-y. If you want to design buildings, Architecture. If you want to know the science behind buildings (will it stand up etc), Arch eng.

Hope this helps, but i'll try and answer any others q's you've got :smile:
Original post by pongalo

In short, Arch eng is more science and maths and less creative and design-y. If you want to design buildings, Architecture. If you want to know the science behind buildings (will it stand up etc), Arch eng.

What if you both, creative design as well as scientific knowledge of structures?
Reply 76
Original post by King-Panther
What if you both, creative design as well as scientific knowledge of structures?

IMO a BSc (rather than a BA) in architecture would be better. I imagine you'd get more scientific knowledge of structures in arch than creative design in arch eng. But it depends on the uni some eng courses could be more design based then others.

Check out unis and the units you do (like arch history, theory etc) as i found bath was more sciencey than ucl on the open days. I suggest going to any open day of any uni you want to know more about the course or to see the city or department to help with your decision
Reply 77
Original post by pongalo

Original post by pongalo
Hi :smile:
i applied for both architecture and architectural engineering and they are quite different. Arch eng isn't RIBA accredited so it can't be used towards being an architect :frown: (although it'd be majorly useful in getting a place on a riba course). Arch eng is also much less design and model making and more science and maths based. Pure arch is more design orientated and requires more of a creative flare to do well at.

The similarities are that you do design structures (for example in cardiff the first thing you do is design a bridge i was told) using CAD but eng is less imaginative im assuming. Having a MEng allows you to go into structural orientated jobs and careers and you're more likely to get a job.

Hope this helps, but i'll try and answer any others q's you've got :smile:

Hey thank you for replying. Yeah, by now (after I got my iCIE A level result yesterday) I've decided to take Architecture. I guess it's more fun designing with creativity rather than calculating and physics.

I'm aiming for architecture at Bath (which is BSc), cos it would be nice to learn creative designs with the essence of scientific knowledge.

p/s - Anyone from Brighton or Portsmouth? I'm applying for them too just in case I didn't meet the A*AA Bath requirement.
Reply 78
Just been secured my place on an architecture course today, after getting an A* A B, but when applying bear in mind that the highly competitive nature of architecture will dramatically affect you, where most courses in english or history or something would accept you if you got say ABB at A.S architecture seem to want you to of got the required grades more or less at AS, for example i wanted to go to oxford brookes which was AAB i think and i got ABB at A.S but lost out on a place.

I would also start the portfolio early, dont leave it right until your do your jan exams when most unis ask for them, spend a long time ad get around 10-20 hand drawings, paintings, model etc. that you have done and you will have a heads up
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jsteele93

Original post by jsteele93

I would also start the portfolio now, dont leave it right until your do your jan exams when most unis ask for them, spend a long time ad get around 10-20 hand drawings, paintings, model etc. that you have done and you will have a heads up

Quick question about the portfolio. Does it matter that we use really old work from GCSE and A level, or do they prefer that you create new work specifically for handing in to the university?

Quick Reply

Latest