The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Riku
Tomorrow I'm planning to catch up with my best mate and go for either a swim or to the gym : ) oh and start this essay :O
Thanks, I'll be sure to do so and ask if needing any help : D

Good good :h: Sounds nice. :five:
I have always worried throughout my life but is never been anything that i couldn't deal with, but since coming to university two months ago, it has been overwhelming, i feel like crying the whole time, and just think about home so much. i panic when i wake up and at various points throughout the day if i think about the situation too much. i just want reassurance that i will get back to normal, because at the moment i don't know if i can carry on at university because its so horrible, but i worked so hard to get here so don't want to waste it :frown:
Original post by Olivia1234
I have always worried throughout my life but is never been anything that i couldn't deal with, but since coming to university two months ago, it has been overwhelming, i feel like crying the whole time, and just think about home so much. i panic when i wake up and at various points throughout the day if i think about the situation too much. i just want reassurance that i will get back to normal, because at the moment i don't know if i can carry on at university because its so horrible, but i worked so hard to get here so don't want to waste it :frown:

I know exactly how you feel.
I just take everyday as it comes, and you have to know at the end of the day you can sit and relax at home, you'll be okay :smile:
Original post by Olivia1234

What you need to do is to look at what you have in your life at university. Try to make it feel like home, add little touches that you bought yourself, in your uni town, cook yourself a meal from a recipe you found yourself, just generally try to do things that don't remind you of home and make you feel more independent.

If it is the work that's overwhelming, break it down into little steps and only think about the next step, the next thing you have to do and before you know it, you'll be done :smile:

Good luck :smile:
Reply 1964
Hate being home alone : / today was great until after my swim when I started feeling really sleepy, then tonight got incredibly cold. I've had to wear a hoodie for an hour, leave the heating on for 3 and pretty much work myself into a state to warm up, now I'm feeling anxious from the dehydration :s-smilie: can't win sometimes, can we?
and I'm dizzy sometimes too, as a rule of thumb have to eat every 4 hours
Low blood pressure? I've never really understood how sometimes my anxiety causes a pounding heart, other times the heart rate's incredibly slow but there's just this feeling of impending doom. Maybe no-one knows?

And finally, a health magazine telling me that virtually all carbs are bad, brown bread and potato included. It's also got loads of ads for their own supplements and meal replacements though so maybe a bit biased and immoral?
Food's confusing, I wish I could eat without thinking about it. Apparently no amount of detoxing from a good diet and exercise can help if you're constantly stressed about it, yay

Sorry that I've gone so negative but the nights Mum's working are usually the worst for how I'm feeling, why can't I just be a normal teenager (whatever "normal" is really) and not go crazy every time I'm left alone for a few hours?
Original post by Riku
Hate being home alone : / today was great until after my swim when I started feeling really sleepy, then tonight got incredibly cold. I've had to wear a hoodie for an hour, leave the heating on for 3 and pretty much work myself into a state to warm up, now I'm feeling anxious from the dehydration :s-smilie: can't win sometimes, can we?
and I'm dizzy sometimes too, as a rule of thumb have to eat every 4 hours
Low blood pressure? I've never really understood how sometimes my anxiety causes a pounding heart, other times the heart rate's incredibly slow but there's just this feeling of impending doom. Maybe no-one knows?

And finally, a health magazine telling me that virtually all carbs are bad, brown bread and potato included. It's also got loads of ads for their own supplements and meal replacements though so maybe a bit biased and immoral?
Food's confusing, I wish I could eat without thinking about it. Apparently no amount of detoxing from a good diet and exercise can help if you're constantly stressed about it, yay

Sorry that I've gone so negative but the nights Mum's working are usually the worst for how I'm feeling, why can't I just be a normal teenager (whatever "normal" is really) and not go crazy every time I'm left alone for a few hours?

im the same :frown: i get freaked out when i'm alone. normally i try and disctract myself until someone comes home:s-smilie:
Reply 1966
Original post by maxcartwright
im the same :frown: i get freaked out when i'm alone. normally i try and disctract myself until someone comes home:s-smilie:

I'm terrible, I end up on the comp for hours getting more tired and having a hard time getting to sleep. What else would you suggest for distractions?
I "should" know these but currently overttired and panickifgn
:hugs:
Original post by Riku
I'm terrible, I end up on the comp for hours getting more tired and having a hard time getting to sleep. What else would you suggest for distractions?
I "should" know these but currently overttired and panickifgn
:hugs:

omg lol we do the exact same thing. i stay in the computer till about 4.30 then sleep till 12pm.

hmm distractions... going for a walk? listening to music, thinking 'what the hell if it happens it happens'
Original post by mikeylfc1989
Would like some sleep advice too... :frown:
Usually replay everything in my head over and over or think ahead of what I need to the next day, the following weeks. If I need to be up early the next day, I stress about the thought of being tired too (not getting enough sleep). Pretty much end up going from being really tired to wide awake (heart racing/alert) and mess about on my laptop until the tiredness overcomes the anxiety. Usually means I don't get to sleep till 4-6am. Not good...

wow ur describing my lif. dont get to sleep until about 4.30 cus im on my comp and i worry abt things that are weeks away:mad::mad:

wish there was some magic medicine that would make all this go away:frown::frown:
If I don't sort this out before I get a full-time job, I'm ****ed... :tongue:
Pretty sure it adds to my anti-socialness.

It's an awful feeling though, feeling really tired but completely alert with no energy to do anything meaningful.

Me too... :frown:

I know it's like you want to do things but you can't because of the anxiety/panic, so its a viscious circle. Im stuck in my house and my family keep bugging me to get out and do things but i can't because i'm so scared:frown:
:woo: Sleep troubles :five:

:emo:

Have any of you tried anything like herbal remedies or medical tablets to help you sleep? :redface:
Would like some sleep advice too... :frown:
Usually replay everything in my head over and over or think ahead of what I need to the next day, the following weeks. If I need to be up early the next day, I stress about the thought of being tired too (not getting enough sleep). Pretty much end up going from being really tired to wide awake (heart racing/alert) and mess about on my laptop until the tiredness overcomes the anxiety. Usually means I don't get to sleep till 4-6am. Not good...

Have you tried keeping an easy to see visual record of what you have to do? (I have a wall full of post-its that tell me what I have to do) It might help to get it all out of your head, because then you don't have to work to remember what you have to do.

As for getting to sleep, instead of playing on the laptop, do something relaxing, read a book, try meditation or simple yoga. Playing on your laptop is fairly bad for getting to sleep because it involves so much interaction it wakes your brain up more.
okay so tommorow I have an appointment to get a national insurance number. Its in Manchester, which is far away, and there's no way I can travel by myself. my family don't really get the whole panic thing, so don't think its a big deal, and none of them can come with me.

so I need an excuse not to go. I figured i'd just say that the appointment was double booked and they were going to call me and reschedule, does that sound true enough?
Original post by dungeonkeepr
Have you tried keeping an easy to see visual record of what you have to do? (I have a wall full of post-its that tell me what I have to do) It might help to get it all out of your head, because then you don't have to work to remember what you have to do.

As for getting to sleep, instead of playing on the laptop, do something relaxing, read a book, try meditation or simple yoga. Playing on your laptop is fairly bad for getting to sleep because it involves so much interaction it wakes your brain up more.

I have a whiteboard where I scrawl down anything I need to remember :biggrin:

Also, my physics teacher (possibly not the *best* informed) told me that laptop and TV screens actively keep you awake because the blue/white light they produce is similar to daylight so it makes your brain produce that hormone that wakes you up... can't remember if it melatonin or serotonin :tongue:

Original post by maxcartwright
okay so tommorow I have an appointment to get a national insurance number. Its in Manchester, which is far away, and there's no way I can travel by myself. my family don't really get the whole panic thing, so don't think its a big deal, and none of them can come with me.

so I need an excuse not to go. I figured i'd just say that the appointment was double booked and they were going to call me and reschedule, does that sound true enough?

Are you trying to excuse it to your family, or to the people your appointment is with? Either way, lying is never a sustainable way to go. Just tell them your real reasons, and maybe they will understand how big a deal it is for you and start trying to help you. :redface:
Original post by Amwazicles
I have a whiteboard where I scrawl down anything I need to remember :biggrin:

Also, my physics teacher (possibly not the *best* informed) told me that laptop and TV screens actively keep you awake because the blue/white light they produce is similar to daylight so it makes your brain produce that hormone that wakes you up... can't remember if it melatonin or serotonin :tongue:

Ah cool, I have to say I don't use my whiteboard because it doesn't feel permanent enough to me, plus I get to screw up and throw away the post-its which is immensely satisfying :biggrin:

On the getting to sleep front, my dad once told me to focus really really clearly on the events of an imaginary day - like exactly how you wake up and exactly what you do at each point - because it gives you something to think about while lying there and stops your brain from whirring and worrying because you are focussed on this task.
it's very lonely.
Okay I'm having a breakdown, I'm terrified of my first day of training tomorrow at work I feel like I can't go and the worst thing is is it's testing the food and I feel sick enough and having to take my anti sickness tablets as it is without having food infront of me and I've got uni before the training and in terrified I'll have a panic attack at uni and then make going to uni difficult I don't know what to do I have just been crying and crying for hours!
Original post by insignificant
Okay I'm having a breakdown, I'm terrified of my first day of training tomorrow at work I feel like I can't go and the worst thing is is it's testing the food and I feel sick enough and having to take my anti sickness tablets as it is without having food infront of me and I've got uni before the training and in terrified I'll have a panic attack at uni and then make going to uni difficult I don't know what to do I have just been crying and crying for hours!

What is the training for tomorrow? I'm sure they would understand if you said you felt sick and weren't up to doing things with food? :redface:
Original post by Anonymous
it's very lonely.

:frown:
PM if you ever want a chat, I haven't experienced anxiety that much, myself but I've recently dealt with someone who has and it seems a truly awful situation to be in.
Pretty good idea, I write a lot of lists but I find it hard sticking to them. Will put more effort into that...

My concentration/attention is so poor, I can't do anything in that state. If I'm reading, I'm not taking it in; meditation and yoga? Fairly ambitious :tongue:, worth trying though (may do it a few hours before trying to sleep)...
I used to go for a run around 10ish every night which helped me sleep so I may start that again. Do you do either of them? (yoga and meditation)

Are you sure you've been reading 'Bad Science'? :tongue:
Shocking...

:teehee: I said he wasn't exactly a reliable source :tongue: It does kind of make sense though, daylight lamps have the same effect..

Quick Reply

Latest