The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Waitrose, aged 16, starting rate £6.73/hour. Been there coming up to a year now, great company to work for. Got the job by applying online (jlpjobs)
Reply 61
Paper round when I was 15, got it through my brother who already had one. Got roughly £25-£30 a week as all my customers tipped well :smile: Then when i was 16 got a job at a coffee shop, just by going in and asking if there was any jobs going and by chance there was, got £3.75 an hour.
Original post by Toki_Premium
Zavvi and my pay was £7.58 and I was 16 just turning 17 too. :smile:

Wow - that's a good amount for a first job!

Original post by LTC1409
You could probably try going to your local library and asking if they're taking on any casual staff. It's pretty easy to fit around studying. I used to do 5pm-8pm on a Thursday and 9-5 on a Saturday.

Cool, thanks :smile:

Original post by Origami Bullets
I put up a few adverts in my village (nothing fancy - in fact the less fancy they were, the more response they seemed to get!), people rang me and it went from there. I had to give it up when I moved away, but it was the some of the easiest money I've ever made.

Wow! That's good :smile:

Original post by Arianto
When I was 12/13, Office Assistant at my neighbours ghost tour company (Auld Reekie Tours) and I got £3 an hour, decent.

At Tesco's now (17) and getting £7.10 an hour which is bloody amazing...

ghost tour company?

Original post by LoveZelda
My first job was has a domestic cleaner i got £6.50 ph when i was 16 but it was only for the summer time. It was aright just got boring but it was nice to see the different types of houses and how people lived.

How did you get the job? :smile:
Reply 63
My first job which is my current job is just an ordinary sales assistant at clothes shop. I was 16 when I got it (been there 3 years now), hourly wage was £7.20, but has now gone up to £8.50-ish I think. I work 13.5 hours a week.
I just handed in my CV at the shop; the ordinary way... but after working there have found out that my manager and other colleagues have children that I went to school with.
Reply 64
I got the job by ring up a local domestic services. if you wanted a job like that it be really good just to call up since lots of cleaning services always need staff and they pay pretty well for doing a little bit of cleaning xx
I got a job in my local chippy, got paid cash in hand (£4ph), and got sacked after 3 days. Not my fault though, I could hardly understand the (chinese) family that ran it, and they could hardly understand me and when you're ordering food to be cooked, it's not easy!
A week later I got my first 'proper' job in Primark, on £3.20ph (!!!!) when I was 16.
My first job was at mcdonalds (actually im still there till i find another job). I was 16 (nearly 17) when i first started. I started off at £3.85 an hour. I just applied and got lucky, i didnt get the job through knowing anyone or anything.
Original post by Lauren27
Paper round when I was 15, got it through my brother who already had one. Got roughly £25-£30 a week as all my customers tipped well :smile: Then when i was 16 got a job at a coffee shop, just by going in and asking if there was any jobs going and by chance there was, got £3.75 an hour.

Cool :biggrin: That's lucky!
Original post by Dr Acula
My first job which is my current job is just an ordinary sales assistant at clothes shop. I was 16 when I got it (been there 3 years now), hourly wage was £7.20, but has now gone up to £8.50-ish I think. I work 13.5 hours a week.
I just handed in my CV at the shop; the ordinary way... but after working there have found out that my manager and other colleagues have children that I went to school with.

Lucky! :biggrin: But if that was your first job, what did you put on your CV? GCSEs and experience?

Original post by LoveZelda
I got the job by ring up a local domestic services. if you wanted a job like that it be really good just to call up since lots of cleaning services always need staff and they pay pretty well for doing a little bit of cleaning xx

Reply 68
My first job was weekends at Jack Wills in Islington, got £7 an hour. At the time it was the most amazing thing on planet earth.
Reply 69
16, waitress in a pub restaurant, £4.30 an hour
Reply 70
Football referee, 14, anything between £14/hour to £22/hour depending on location/age group
Original post by Lauren Pen
What was your first job?

i did a mix match of things. i was a waitress, cook, pot wash, dog walker, and feeder, cat feeder, worked in the shop, and fed the animals on the farm, as well as a cleaner for the business...

we often saw ourselves as slaves, but a jobs a job at the end of the day, and i loved who i worked with!
When I was 15-16 I worked weekends as a kitchen assistant in the local pub.
Reply 73
16 and got a job at Waterstones £6.20/hr been working there 4.5 years throughout sixform and uni, good job and i got it as i did work experience when i was 15 there through school
Reply 74
When I was 15, it was a hand job. Loved it.
Reply 75
Original post by Lauren Pen
Lucky! :biggrin: But if that was your first job, what did you put on your CV? GCSEs and experience?

Ooopps I thought you meant first paid job... sorry :colondollar: I've been volunteering at a Cancer Research shop since I was 14, so all the retail experience I've had there went on my CV... not really luck in the end but experience. :smile:
Original post by PonchoKid
i did a mix match of things. i was a waitress, cook, pot wash, dog walker, and feeder, cat feeder, worked in the shop, and fed the animals on the farm, as well as a cleaner for the business...

we often saw ourselves as slaves, but a jobs a job at the end of the day, and i loved who i worked with!

And you got all of those at once..?
Reply 77
my first job was as a sales assistant, i was 16 and on £3.53 an hour. i worked that job for 2 years, though I did get a pay rise to £3.57 after a year...
Original post by Rach@ncl
my first job was as a sales assistant, i was 16 and on £3.53 an hour. i worked that job for 2 years, though I did get a pay rise to £3.57 after a year...

How did you get the job?

Original post by Dr Acula
Ooopps I thought you meant first paid job... sorry :colondollar: I've been volunteering at a Cancer Research shop since I was 14, so all the retail experience I've had there went on my CV... not really luck in the end but experience. :smile:

Oh, I see.. So you volunteered there for two years for experience to put on your CV, then applied for the sales assistant job?
My first job was a summer-job at my local outdoor pool as a lifeguard. I was almost 17 years old when I started. Got paid £4.72 or something an hour. Great job, terrible pay. Then I went on to do it at the indoor pool every Sunday for 2 years. £4.83 ph - terrible pay, terrible job.

Latest

Trending

Trending