The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Geography Unit 1: Global Challenges Wednesday 18th January 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by winningjojo

didnt go too bad though wish i had sat the May 2011 paper now - so much easier!! but thats typical -- lot of emphasis on human geog side this time though (and im much more of a physical geographer!) but think went ok. Timing was quite tight though which is unusual for me - how did you find it?
Reply 61
What did everyone write for why some californian cities are at risk of flooding?
Reply 62
Original post by Onkar-M
What did everyone write for why some californian cities are at risk of flooding?

I said something about california being a mediteranean climate (cant spell) and the mountains nearby meaning water could flow down the mountains after excessive rainfall

im probs rong tho lol
I am typically more a human geographer as I didn't do geography for GCSE so I tend to find the scientific parts more diffucult. However, I would have to day, by far, the physical geography questions were much more interesting and easier even though I disliked the one about why some Cali cities are at risk of flooding!

I again, to my surprise, chose question 8. I am pleased about part a but I am rather concerned about part b because I rushed it and didnt argue against climate change NOT being caused by humans.
(edited 12 years ago)
Wow! Question 7 didn't seem popular and I chose that one! Then again, my teacher did say that it may be a good thing if not many chose your question because there's less 'good essays' likely to be comparable to, where as the popular ones would have more good material to compare to.

I found the last parts on human geography hard, especially the one on the ageing population. I made a few stupid mistakes:
- Read the social impacts of migrants on the host country correct, but then decided I would just try to find benefits and only wrote two points (one of which I was frantically writing when we were told to put our pens down, so I have basically 1 1/2 points out of 5 (woops!))
- Said that California and Bangladesh was a local area, but I still talked about London and Manila which are more local
- I literally guessed the ageing population one because we hardly covered it in detail in class :s-smilie:

I usually get As in my geography but it seems that I may get a B now...I do hope I get an A so I can just move on without having resits - it's a competitive world out there! :biggrin:
Reply 65
Original post by Harantony
Wow! Question 7 didn't seem popular and I chose that one! Then again, my teacher did say that it may be a good thing if not many chose your question because there's less 'good essays' likely to be comparable to, where as the popular ones would have more good material to compare to.

I found the last parts on human geography hard, especially the one on the ageing population. I made a few stupid mistakes:
- Read the social impacts of migrants on the host country correct, but then decided I would just try to find benefits and only wrote two points (one of which I was frantically writing when we were told to put our pens down, so I have basically 1 1/2 points out of 5 (woops!))
- Said that California and Bangladesh was a local area, but I still talked about London and Manila which are more local
- I literally guessed the ageing population one because we hardly covered it in detail in class :s-smilie:

I usually get As in my geography but it seems that I may get a B now...I do hope I get an A so I can just move on without having resits - it's a competitive world out there! :biggrin:

i usually get As too and i will be re-sitting if i get less than an A. Dont really want to resit but will probably have to.
Reply 66
What did everyone write for social impacts on the host country from migrants?
This paper seems a blur to me now. :frown:
Reply 67
Oh and for the essay I picked question 8.
I found part a quite straightforward because I love climate change.
My part b ended up sounding like a greenpeace speech though LOL :s-smilie:
I thought the section A side was fine, and to be honest so was the section B..but the TIME I had to do it in was NOTTTT FINEEE! I felt like I was writing to save my family and friends' lives! ...I know I shouldn't really stress over the little one marker questions, but did anyone else think that the multiple choice questions were quite tricky? The percentage one threw me and I wasted about 5 minutes trying to work it out!

Also, for the social impoacts of migrants on the host country.. I put that racial hatred is increased with migrants cooming over 'stealing jobs'..more money has to be invested into the NHS..People can understand a different culture and speak different languages in schools..The host country has to adapt to the migrants for example placing foreign dictionaries employing foreign staff. I cant remember what else I put but I was careful with the SOCIAL impacts it's hard to not get them crossing in with one another.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by brainybaines
I thought the section A side was fine, and to be honest so was the section B..but the TIME I had to do it in was NOTTTT FINEEE! I felt like I was writing to save my family and friends' lives! ...I know I shouldn't really stress over the little one marker questions, but did anyone else think that the multiple choice questions were quite tricky? The percentage one threw me and I wasted about 5 minutes trying to work it out!

Also, for the social impoacts of migrants on the host country.. I put that racial hatred is increased with migrants cooming over 'stealing jobs'..more money has to be invested into the NHS..People can understand a different culture and speak different languages in schools..The host country has to adapt to the migrants for example placing foreign dictionaries employing foreign staff. I cant remember what else I put but I was careful with the SOCIAL impacts it's hard to not get them crossing in with one another.

I kinda ran out of time too. I think i spent way too long on the 5 mark questions in section A. I acted like they were essay questions and I put lots of my case study info in those. I found some of the data presentation techniques quite weird and it took me a couple of minutes to get my head around them which meant i was spending tooo much time on multiple choice and the 5 markers thus i only had about 10 minutes to do all of section B lol ohh welll resit time...
Reply 70
I think I did so bad in section B, I don't think I 'showed off' how much I knew because I was sooo stressed when writing and so I was rushing but also ran out of things to say quickly if that makes sense :s
It's so upsettting.
Reply 71
Original post by PhoenixxX
I think I did so bad in section B, I don't think I 'showed off' how much I knew because I was sooo stressed when writing and so I was rushing but also ran out of things to say quickly if that makes sense :s
It's so upsettting.

I feel the same. I think i could have shown my knowledge so much better but I felt the questions were restricting and didn't focus on the casestudies that we had studied.
Reply 72
Original post by winningjojo
sounds like you did well and the points sound good. Yeah what you were saying about people going straight to mobile phones is technolgical leapfrogging (U3) and is a point i wish i had remembered now!! well done you've probably done really well. :biggrin:

Thanks for increasing my confidence :smile:. Just hope other sections haven't ruined my chances of an A.

Another question I wasn't sure on was the one about direct impacts of climate change on the Arctic. I put X and Y (sea levels rise and temperatures). I was sure it wasn't W but debateable between Temperatures and Z...
Reply 73
Original post by ReviseAlex
I feel the same. I think i could have shown my knowledge so much better but I felt the questions were restricting and didn't focus on the casestudies that we had studied.

Mmm, my teacher says that edexcel are moving further away from the way things are set out in textbooks and stuff and giving really, quite weird questions that would be difficult to answer - especially without specific revision on said questions. Sucks for us!

Are you aiming for just an A/90%+/full ums?
Reply 74
Original post by PhoenixxX
Mmm, my teacher says that edexcel are moving further away from the way things are set out in textbooks and stuff and giving really, quite weird questions that would be difficult to answer - especially without specific revision on said questions. Sucks for us!

Are you aiming for just an A/90%+/full ums?

An A or anything above that would be awesome :tongue: thats what im aiming for lol
Original post by Kirby711

Original post by Kirby711
Thanks for increasing my confidence :smile:. Just hope other sections haven't ruined my chances of an A.

Another question I wasn't sure on was the one about direct impacts of climate change on the Arctic. I put X and Y (sea levels rise and temperatures). I was sure it wasn't W but debateable between Temperatures and Z...

I put X then couldnt decide between W and Y didnt think it was Z but cant remember what it was now. Defo sea level rise but it through me too.

the questions gave you scope for a variety of case studies just not the compulsory ones we expect to be tested in the long answers but i think the key to success in the Qs was how well you kept to the specifics of the Q and maybe although you found it restricting it focused your answer more which could = better marks.

I kinda ran out of time too. I think i spent way too long on the 5 mark questions in section A. I acted like they were essay questions and I put lots of my case study info in those. I found some of the data presentation techniques quite weird and it took me a couple of minutes to get my head around them which meant i was spending tooo much time on multiple choice and the 5 markers thus i only had about 10 minutes to do all of section B lol ohh welll resit time...

sounds like you got the right points and more than was needed to because from what you've written sounds like you've extended points which could mean as long as there was an eg somewhere like British 'ghettos' in parts of Spain you should easily get 5marks for it.

i usually get As too and i will be re-sitting if i get less than an A. Dont really want to resit but will probably have to.

This was my resit im usually an A grader but somehow managed to flop badly last Jan and get a C (though i was only yr11) i did the same about Bangladesh and California though at lest I said NE Philippines which is kinda local and I talked about London and my town too so should be ok. and I hope your teacher is right about choosing an unpopular Q though everyone who resat with me chose Q7 too. Though i think my section A went pretty well as doing U3 too has meant I had some other CS i could link into occasionally and answer that mobile phone Q better! I messed up the geophysical hazards of california - had earthquakes due to conservative boundary - san andreas fault and landslides as a secondary impact of the earthquakes but then mind went blank and could only think of hydrometeorlogical ones drought/floods/wildfires/tropical storms etc. Hope to get 2or3 though :s-smilie:
Original post by Onkar-M

Original post by Onkar-M
Oh and for the essay I picked question 8.
I found part a quite straightforward because I love climate change.
My part b ended up sounding like a greenpeace speech though LOL :s-smilie:

thats why i avoided Q8 the 15marker i would never have finished properly and would have sounded wierd so avoided it and did 7 becuase it gave me more focus to stop me going off onto a tangent about how bad we are for the planet! Love the CC stuff too though want to study environmental geography at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending