The Student Room Group

KCL vs. Edinburgh vs. Gap year?

Hey, I reaally need to help! I know many of these threads are created but i think that reflects how difficult a decision this is.

Essentially, I've applied for history in the 2012 cycle and have been rejected from my top two choices; UCL and Oxford. I currently hold offers from Manchester, Edinburgh and KCL. The choice is essentially between KCL and Edinburgh, or taking a year out and reapplying to similar universities, hoping to actually make it into one of my top 2 choices on that attempt.

Any general advice? :tongue: I know this is inspecific, but I could really do with just some general advice on KCL life, Edinburgh life and whether you believe it's worth me taking a gap year.

Scroll to see replies

I'm in a similar position but with KCL and St Andrews for philosophy.

I guess it all depends on how desperately you wanted to go to Oxford/UCL, if you think you'd be genuinely unhappy at one of the other two and constantly thinking 'what if' for three years then it will have been the wrong decision to go there.

In terms of prestige and career prospects I think that both KCL and Edinburgh are exceptional universities and I don't think you'd have a much harder time getting a good job than somebody who went to UCL or whatever. For me personally I wouldn't feel as though it would be worth taking a year out, but I guess you need to think about how happy you'd be at those universites. Good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
UCL>Edinburgh>KCL, IMO. :dontknow:
Original post by electric-wars
I'm in a similar position but with KCL and St Andrews for philosophy.

I guess it all depends on how desperately you wanted to go to Oxford/UCL, if you think you'd be genuinely unhappy at one of the other two and constantly thinking 'what if' for three years then it will have been the wrong decision to go there.

In terms of prestige and career prospects I think that both KCL and Edinburgh are exceptional universities and I don't think you'd have a much harder time getting a good job than somebody who went to UCL or whatever. For me personally I wouldn't feel as though it would be worth taking a year out, but I guess you need to think about how happy you'd be at those universites. Good luck!

Thanks, personally I'd rate KCL over St. Andrews on the basis of job aquisition because of the statistics, and also the location of KCL. But, frankly, I've got no real idea. :tongue: It's a very difficult condundrum, isn't it? Just out of interest, what were your top choices?

Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
UCL>Edinburgh>KCL, IMO. :dontknow:

I think, in overall academic terms, you're probably right. But, wierdly, it seems to be in career terms, KCL>UCL>Edinburgh. At least, that's on the basis that KCL has a better international brand (I have no idea why, seems a bit conterintutive to me) and some statistics that I've seen. I think it's very difficult because whilst I'd be very happy to goto Kings, or Edinburgh, it's not my ideal choice, y'know?
Original post by confusedexcited
Thanks, personally I'd rate KCL over St. Andrews on the basis of job aquisition because of the statistics, and also the location of KCL. But, frankly, I've got no real idea. :tongue: It's a very difficult condundrum, isn't it? Just out of interest, what were your top choices?

I think, in overall academic terms, you're probably right. But, wierdly, it seems to be in career terms, KCL>UCL>Edinburgh. At least, that's on the basis that KCL has a better international brand (I have no idea why, seems a bit conterintutive to me) and some statistics that I've seen. I think it's very difficult because whilst I'd be very happy to goto Kings, or Edinburgh, it's not my ideal choice, y'know?

TBH when you're looking at the standards of these unis, there's not a missive amount between them and any would be a good choice.

Just out of interest, what were your top choices?

I guess St Andrews was my top choice, I didn't apply to Oxbridge in the end because of unusual past grades (I didn't take GCSE equivalents in my native language so they weren't that great).

I know where you're coming from with KCL prospects - and the fact that you're already in central London means the ability to get good experience. I think I just prefer the course/environment of St As, and I'm sure there isn't much in it really, as is the case for yours.
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
TBH when you're looking at the standards of these unis, there's not a missive amount between them and any would be a good choice.

I know what you mean, they're both prestigious academic, i'm gonna be doing a History degree so it's one of the classic 'old guard' of supposed intellectual gymnastics. But, frankly, I really wanted to goto UCL and I'm not sure whether or not that'll dig into my mind, it's a very difficult conundrum.

Original post by electric-wars
I guess St Andrews was my top choice, I didn't apply to Oxbridge in the end because of unusual past grades (I didn't take GCSE equivalents in my native language so they weren't that great).

I know where you're coming from with KCL prospects - and the fact that you're already in central London means the ability to get good experience. I think I just prefer the course/environment of St As, and I'm sure there isn't much in it really, as is the case for yours.

mmm, fair enough. KCL is great, but, meh. which course did you apply for?
bummmp.
Reply 8
Oh boy, I'm having exactly the same dilemma but I'm struggling whether to choose KCL or Edinburgh for medicine... Wrong thread, wrong sub-forum, but anyone feel like helping me anyway?
Original post by SirMuffin
Oh boy, I'm having exactly the same dilemma but I'm struggling whether to choose KCL or Edinburgh for medicine... Wrong thread, wrong sub-forum, but anyone feel like helping me anyway?

Maybe we should debate it out between us. :tongue: what do you see as the pros, and cons for both locations? (I'm guessing as academic institutions both are quite different for our respective disciplines)
Reply 10
You've got offers from 3 great universities. Many people don't get their top choices (especially when one is Oxford and the other UCL!) but those three are great. I don't think it's worth taking a gap year, to be honest.

I think Edinburgh :smile: KCL's also brilliant though, you'd be good either way.
Reply 11
Original post by SirMuffin

Edinburgh's arguably got the best medicine department in the UK after Oxbridge. Though I heard from a medicine applicant that KCL's course is amazing.
Wait until results day. If you score exceptional grades, that exceed KCL/Edinburgh's requirements, take a gap year. That way, it'll be worth it to go again for Oxford/UCL and you'll be confident that you'll get offers elsewhere. If you get satisfactory grades that meet the unis' requirement, then you should accept one of King's or Edinburgh (personally Edinburgh sounds like an amazing place to have a social life and the dude:dudette ratio is something like 30:70 at King's. A pro and also a con depending on your sexual orientation :P). You may run the risk of being rejected by these unis if you apply next year though.
Original post by saachi
You've got offers from 3 great universities. Many people don't get their top choices (especially when one is Oxford and the other UCL!) but those three are great. I don't think it's worth taking a gap year, to be honest.

I think Edinburgh :smile: KCL's also brilliant though, you'd be good either way.

I know what you mean, I don't want to take a year out and end up losing the places I've already secured! Yeah, I believe KCL has a better history department, but Edinburgh seems to be better domestically regarded overall. Also, I'd get so distracted in London! Do you have any experience of the student life in either city?

Original post by thehaberprocess
Wait until results day. If you score exceptional grades, that exceed KCL/Edinburgh's requirements, take a gap year. That way, it'll be worth it to go again for Oxford/UCL and you'll be confident that you'll get offers elsewhere. If you get satisfactory grades that meet the unis' requirement, then you should accept one of King's or Edinburgh (personally Edinburgh sounds like an amazing place to have a social life and the dude:dudette ratio is something like 30:70 at King's. A pro and also a con depending on your sexual orientation :P). You may run the risk of being rejected by these unis if you apply next year though.

Yeah, that was my initial thought too, wait till results and then re-apply. The only issue is that, for history as for many other over-subscribed subjects, the grades actually don't make an enormous amount of difference to securing a place. I know at UCL they aren't a deciding factor past a certain point, and I believe it's similar at Edinburgh too. Yeah, the King's gender ratio is preeetty damn good! That's a genuine factor in the decision making process. :tongue: You've already enumerated my main fear of the gap year, losing my already secured places! Do you have any idea of the student life at either King's or Edinburgh?

Thanks!
Reply 14
I know what you mean, I don't want to take a year out and end up losing the places I've already secured! Yeah, I believe KCL has a better history department, but Edinburgh seems to be better domestically regarded overall. Also, I'd get so distracted in London! Do you have any experience of the student life in either city?

Edinburgh's internationally better regarded, too- 20th in the world in the QS world rankings.

I've never been to either city, but hopefully going to Edinburgh (firm acceptance) in September. London is- well, London! One of the most exciting cities in the world, though I preferred something a bit smaller. Depends on what you want.

You're going to get distracted in Edinburgh, too, you know! :tongue: Nightlife would be stellar in either city. Edinburgh's more beautiful architecturally, though parts of London are magnificent as well. I think Edinburgh would be considerably safer, though :smile:

Yeah, that was my initial thought too, wait till results and then re-apply. The only issue is that, for history as for many other over-subscribed subjects, the grades actually don't make an enormous amount of difference to securing a place. I know at UCL they aren't a deciding factor past a certain point, and I believe it's similar at Edinburgh too. Yeah, the King's gender ratio is preeetty damn good! That's a genuine factor in the decision making process. :tongue: You've already enumerated my main fear of the gap year, losing my already secured places! Do you have any idea of the student life at either King's or Edinburgh?

Thanks!

I see what you mean but at least you'll have some confidence that you're good enough for your 4th and 5th choice unis. I mean, a gap year is essentially your last shot and having good grades gets you past the first filtering stage. A lot of my friends are heading off to Edinburgh purely because they want to party hard. Let's be honest now, the Scots do know how to have a good time :P Though another factor is the whole Scottish independence shebang which may persuade you to take King's. You'll probably be happy wherever, it's just personal preferences like how close you'll be to the department. A 10 minute walk for me is out of the question. That's like doing cardio. :biggrin:
Original post by saachi
Edinburgh's internationally better regarded, too- 20th in the world in the QS world rankings.

I've never been to either city, but hopefully going to Edinburgh (firm acceptance) in September. London is- well, London! One of the most exciting cities in the world, though I preferred something a bit smaller. Depends on what you want.

You're going to get distracted in Edinburgh, too, you know! :tongue: Nightlife would be stellar in either city. Edinburgh's more beautiful architecturally, though parts of London are magnificent as well. I think Edinburgh would be considerably safer, though :smile:

I tend to love big cities, I go stir-crazy in the country side and end up bouncing off the walls like tigger on cocaine. :tongue: The real issue for me appears to currently be career prospects, though both are fantastic London offers more possibilities for internships (though, i'm doing a history degree, perpetual unemployment here i come!) but it also lends more possibility for being totally skint all the time. London is great when you've got money, awful when you don't. :tongue: do you know anything about the edinburgh nightlife?

I see what you mean but at least you'll have some confidence that you're good enough for your 4th and 5th choice unis. I mean, a gap year is essentially your last shot and having good grades gets you past the first filtering stage. A lot of my friends are heading off to Edinburgh purely because they want to party hard. Let's be honest now, the Scots do know how to have a good time :P Though another factor is the whole Scottish independence shebang which may persuade you to take King's. You'll probably be happy wherever, it's just personal preferences like how close you'll be to the department. A 10 minute walk for me is out of the question. That's like doing cardio. :biggrin:

haha! I walk for about an hour to school everyday, I've no issue with a 10 minute walk. :tongue: that's pretty interesting, i've never heard of edinburgh as a crazy time! That's true, but, I'd hate to lose these places already! I think i'll probably get pretty good A2s, but I'm anxious about losing what i've already got :/ it's a difficult connundrum!

haha! I walk for about an hour to school everyday, I've no issue with a 10 minute walk. :tongue: that's pretty interesting, i've never heard of edinburgh as a crazy time! That's true, but, I'd hate to lose these places already! I think i'll probably get pretty good A2s, but I'm anxious about losing what i've already got :/ it's a difficult connundrum!

No guts, no glory is what I usually stand by. It's up to you. I'm planning on gap yah-ing provided my A2 grades are decent. Another Oxford reapplicant here :biggrin: Oy vey...
No guts, no glory is what I usually stand by. It's up to you. I'm planning on gap yah-ing provided my A2 grades are decent. Another Oxford reapplicant here :biggrin: Oy vey...

I think the problem is that the pursuit of glory will eviscerate you of the guts you gained. :tongue: which subject, may I ask? I've been encouraged not to re-apply, humanaties don't suit re-application apparently. Though, I'm still strongly considering it!
I think the problem is that the pursuit of glory will eviscerate you of the guts you gained. :tongue: which subject, may I ask? I've been encouraged not to re-apply, humanaties don't suit re-application apparently. Though, I'm still strongly considering it!

AHA yes words of wisdom. But in all seriousness, you take a few risks to get what you want. Sure I know it's highly unlikely that it'll pay off for me but in the grand scheme of things, it's worth a shot. It takes a second shot at Oxford to tell me whether I'm actually good enough. I'm going for chemistry. Ah you'd be surprised, many of my friends who were reapplicants were successful and they went for humanities. If anything, the sciences get a little hairy cos you tend to forget the maths. Though it sounds like you want to go to Edinburgh now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending