The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Caponester
I was tempted yeah, but to be honest with you, this is the kick up the arse I needed to realise that I was picking Aberdeen for perhaps the wrong reasons. It's a brilliant course and an amazing city. I had 4 fantastic years living there and would not change a thing. Aberdeen Royal Infirmary is also a great teaching hospital and I'm sure the new emergency care building will be a good learning environment.

But QUB really impressed me at the interview and the course contains some features that really interest me. Belfast is also somewhere new to explore and gain experience from. I've lived in many different parts of the UK so far and I just don't know when else I'd have the chance to live in Ireland, so that is exciting for me. Sure, it is quite a bit more expensive, but I'm fortunate enough to have a decent wage earning capacity and long summers for the first few years, so debt can be mitigated.

All in all, I'm not disappointed to be rejected. Surprised, but not disappointed. That is the world of medical school admissions though! Have a fantastic time in Aberdeen if you decide to firm!

Very good attitude to have.
All the best with Belfast :smile:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
There is a day for those who have accepted offers. You get info about it in that pack...:rolleyes: I went along a couple of years ago. They put you up in halls for free if you are travelling from far away. It was interesting but mainly geared towards 'normal' students i.e those not hoping to study medicine. You got your student cards etc in June if you went so could use all the sports facilities and stuff before freshers.

Aberdeen are usually happy to have people visit the uni at anytime as long as you give them notice. Just email them and explain that you would like more of a tour or explanation before you make your decision :smile:

Thanks :biggrin: just confired Aberdeen's offer, so now waiting to recieve the Info pack XD
so yeah guys how do u start a thread on TSR??? , ime kinda new here so sorry 4 my naiveness :colondollar:
Original post by lilmissA
so yeah guys how do u start a thread on TSR??? , ime kinda new here so sorry 4 my naiveness :colondollar:

Find the forum/sub-forum you would like to post in by clicking on the "Forums" tab at the top of the page (under TSR logo).
Click on the orange "Forum Tools" button.
Select "Post New Thread".
Original post by CocaineSquirrel
Find the forum/sub-forum you would like to post in by clicking on the "Forums" tab at the top of the page (under TSR logo).

The Forum Tools button is unnecessary - there's an orange button of equivalent size on the left of the page in every forum that says "create new thread".
ime thinking of doing gsce maths as a private candidate (i.e no course work as it is inconvenient for me to attend a school ) and ille be sitting the exam in november , so which exam board would you guys recommend , edexel or aqa , what are cons and pros of each ?? which is easier ? and what text books and materials are available out there and what support can private candidates get ?? should i sign up for one of those online courses or will a proper text book be enough ?? p.s thanks for your responses in advance!! :smile:
Original post by CocaineSquirrel

thank u ille deffinitly give it a try !
Original post by Becca-Sarah
The Forum Tools button is unnecessary - there's an orange button of equivalent size on the left of the page in every forum that says "create new thread".

Oh dear, I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out!
just firmed aberdeen :woo:
Original post by atomos
just firmed aberdeen :woo:

Champion.
Has anyone received a letter/information pack yet? Or anything on the portal? My portal says that I have firmed etc but no other info!
Original post by beanbag123
Has anyone received a letter/information pack yet? Or anything on the portal? My portal says that I have firmed etc but no other info!

Applicant packs may not arrive for a few months yet. You will probably get a letter from UCAS at some point confirming your acceptance.

Do not worry, accommodation and everything else will be sorted before September.
Original post by lilmissA
oh my god wow , i just dont get it , what did they want ?? did u get some feed back from them ? did u improve ure grades ? did u get any offers from somewhere ??

No not yet, they said they'll give out feedback in April followed by further detailed feedback at the applicant's request. Umm sadly I got a B in one of my advanced highers so only AAAB in 6th year. Didn't get any other offers. Just another waiting list from edinburgh.
Original post by roar558
No not yet, they said they'll give out feedback in April followed by further detailed feedback at the applicant's request. Umm sadly I got a B in one of my advanced highers so only AAAB in 6th year. Didn't get any other offers. Just another waiting list from edinburgh.

Oh i c , but least they are considering , put it like this uve got a 50% chance for each of the schools that your on the waiting list for to take you, keep your chin up! I thought you were a graduate if worst comes to worst I would deff recommend taking a gap year b4 doing a next degree, but the end of the day you gotta be happy with your decision, I got 4 rejections , I am going to be a graduate and this is my first time applying to medical school , i think i took it better than i thought as i was able to do most of my work with a clear head , it was just the final blow of knowing my dreams are gonna be delayed a bit that hurt but hey , more chances for me to improve my application , and this time ille have an ACHIEVED grade (ime predicted a first!!) and have more work experiences and get a better ukcat score!! but yeah good luck with your schools xx let me know what happen !
Original post by roar558

AAAB for advanced highers is pretty amazing! :yes:
People accepting offers from Aberdeen should have a look at the entrance scholarships available, a little bit of extra finance is always good!
Reply 1776
To any current medical students at Aberdeen - I have received an offer and would like to know if there is a good mix of graduates and undergraduates in each year group? I would also like to know what you think of the course/does it live up to expectations/do the teaching methods work for you? What's it like to live in Aberdeen and where are the best student areas for living? I'm a graduate myself and if I accept Aberdeen I'm thinking of renting a flat with others rather than going into halls again. What do other graduates do about living? Any help would be great!
Original post by atomos
AAAB for advanced highers is pretty amazing! :yes:

Kinda wish I only took 3, if I had I wouldn't have lost 1 point for edinburgh :s-smilie:
Original post by roar558
Kinda wish I only took 3, if I had I wouldn't have lost 1 point for edinburgh :s-smilie:

True, their system is so harsh. But I don't think it would have hindered you anywhere else though
Original post by atomos
True, their system is so harsh. But I don't think it would have hindered you anywhere else though

Probably not but since I was in top 450 of applicants, there's probably only 1 or 2 points from what I had and an offer score. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending