The Student Room Group

Growing out my fringe - what do I dooooo?! (pics included, advice needed)

I've had a full fringe for about 3 years now (see my avatar) but decided it's time for a change!

I'm going to get it cut but don't know what I want done, I have no idea what will suit me. I also HATE that awkward stage in between growing out a fringe and getting it long enough for a new style - has anyone grown out a full fringe and can tell me what worked for them? And if anyone could link me some pics of styles that could work that would be brilliant!

Snapshot_20120410_3.JPG
Snapshot_20120410.JPG

^here's where its sort of falling at the moment

Snapshot_20120410_6.JPG

^ and here's the length it it at the moment, and what it does to piss me off on a BHD.

(ignore the fact I look ill and about 12 years old)
Original post by sammy-lou
I've had a full fringe for about 3 years now (see my avatar) but decided it's time for a change!

I'm going to get it cut but don't know what I want done, I have no idea what will suit me. I also HATE that awkward stage in between growing out a fringe and getting it long enough for a new style - has anyone grown out a full fringe and can tell me what worked for them? And if anyone could link me some pics of styles that could work that would be brilliant!

Snapshot_20120410_3.JPG
Snapshot_20120410.JPG

^here's where its sort of falling at the moment

Snapshot_20120410_6.JPG

^ and here's the length it it at the moment, and what it does to piss me off on a BHD.

(ignore the fact I look ill and about 12 years old)

Hey hey. :smile:

Ahh, your fringe is at that awkward length where it bugs you no end when its down but is *just* to short to stick behind your ear. That bugged me so bad when I grew mine out! :biggrin:

What I did most of the time was sweep it over like you have in the 2nd picture and then pin it with kirby. Or if I had more time (it doesn't take long- I'm just bad at getting up in the morning :colondollar: ) then plait it and pin it to one side of your head or twist it after splitting it in two and pin it.

I can totally sympathise with you though- I HATED that stage of growing it out and was soooo tempted just to give in and get it cut. But I didn't and I'm glad that I stuck it out. Good luck! :woo:
Reply 2
Original post by tasha96
Hey hey. :smile:

Ahh, your fringe is at that awkward length where it bugs you no end when its down but is *just* to short to stick behind your ear. That bugged me so bad when I grew mine out! :biggrin:

What I did most of the time was sweep it over like you have in the 2nd picture and then pin it with kirby. Or if I had more time (it doesn't take long- I'm just bad at getting up in the morning :colondollar: ) then plait it and pin it to one side of your head or twist it after splitting it in two and pin it.

I can totally sympathise with you though- I HATED that stage of growing it out and was soooo tempted just to give in and get it cut. But I didn't and I'm glad that I stuck it out. Good luck! :woo:

Thanks for the advice! Yeah it's a nightmare at the moment!

Do you think there's any kind of style I can get it cut in to at the moment, or would it be best to literally just leave it to grow and then get it styled somehow?
Reply 3
I'm having the same issue as you atm, and rather than getting it cut I'm just leaving it to grow - you'll probably only end up needing it recut when it gets long enough. For now I just clip it back :smile:
Thanks for the advice! Yeah it's a nightmare at the moment!

Do you think there's any kind of style I can get it cut in to at the moment, or would it be best to literally just leave it to grow and then get it styled somehow?

It's up to you! I know that you can get haircuts (usually short ones) where it's kind of blended in but I never really looked into that as I had had a full fringe since a very young age and just wanted rid of it! :biggrin:
It should be fine pinned back or whatever for the now, and it wont be long until it's passed the awkward stage and you style it normally with the rest of your hair. Just whatever you prefer. :smile:
When I was in that awkward stage whilst growing out my fringe I did exactly this. My natural hair is exactly the same as the chick in the pic so I didn't need to put much effort in lol

You look a lot, lot prettier with a side fringe! It suits your face so much more than a front fringe
Reply 6
Welcome to the awkward world of fringe growing out. you can bush it as a side fringe and pin it (so its not across your face) or use headbands to keep it back.
Reply 7
Move it to the side or part it in the middle? (See below)

IMG_0335.jpg
Definitely a side fringe. I just used grips and a lot of 'flexible' hairspray which keeps hair in place but doesn't make it that horrible flat mess.
Reply 9
Original post by Vixen47
When I was in that awkward stage whilst growing out my fringe I did exactly this. My natural hair is exactly the same as the chick in the pic so I didn't need to put much effort in lol

You look a lot, lot prettier with a side fringe! It suits your face so much more than a front fringe

Oooh I'm so jealous of you having hair like that! I'd love curls, mines so flat and boring ahaha.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I got a sort of side fringe put in today, although it's not really long enough for the hairdresser to do much with at the moment, but I'm going to stick with it! :smile:
Oooh I'm so jealous of you having hair like that! I'd love curls, mines so flat and boring ahaha.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I got a sort of side fringe put in today, although it's not really long enough for the hairdresser to do much with at the moment, but I'm going to stick with it! :smile:

Noo that's good! Short side fringes grow out beautifully in a lot of cases! About a year ago I cut my sister a side fringe and because she kept changing her mind on what she wanted while I was cutting it for her, it turned out pretty short but a few weeks later it was longer and muucchhh prettier on her! :biggrin:
Reply 11
I always used to french plait mine around the front when I was growing it out

Kindof like this:

jennifer-anniston-oscars-braid.jpg
Hey I've yo-yoyed between fringe and no fringe for years. I find in the growing out stage it's best just to push it to the side as a sweeping fringe, some hairspray or mousse will hold it in place. There is a really cool batiste dry shampoo thats called 'XXL VOLUME' and it literally allows you to do anything with you hair- it's amazing, I have a full fringe atm and if spray some of that on I can plait or twist my fringe out of my face without little strands slipping out all over the place! You could also part it in the middle so there's a bit on either side, it can look quite nice like this:

Picture-Sienna-Miller-17.jpg
Wear it as a side fringe - what you need to do is comb it over to the side when it's wet, then blowdry while pulling it over to the side with a barrel brush. It settles there naturally once you've done that a few times, so no hairspray or kirbies required!

I've been wearing mine like that for the past couple of months, but when it's at the front, it's almost at the tip of my nose, so I'm getting it properly styled into a side fringe tomorrow. Never been so excited for a haircut in my life! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Marge_simpson_hair.jpg

Pick one :biggrin:
quiff it!
Reply 16
U look sexy"""""!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending