The Student Room Group

got angry in Marks and Spencer yesterday, was I wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by jo d
Wanting good customer service is bad?

Did you even read what I had written? No? Didn't think so.
Reply 41
Sorry mate, but was she inclined to give a ****? To her, you were probably just a talking blur
I work in a supermarket and I normally don't pack items for those who have little or don't look like they would require help.

I don't immediately start scanning the next persons unless there's a huge queue and you only have a little amount.

However if you are one of these people that stand at the end of tills looking through your purse, messing in your bag, packing slowly, holding everybody up when you could be gone or atleast just make some effort to get out of the way then I start with the next person to give you the hint to move on.

TLDR: You have nothing to complain about, you're not the only customer that needs serving. My money is on there being a big qeue and you having barely any items.
That is hardly an angry reaction, christ.
I always feel really bad when it takes me a while to pack my stuff, I wish they'd move onto the next person.
Reply 45
Original post by silverbolt
Maybe she was shy?

Poor excuse.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I always feel really bad when it takes me a while to pack my stuff, I wish they'd move onto the next person.

this. they always do it in sainsburys, just stand there looking at you until you've completely packed everything, THEN start scanning the next person's stuff.
it's so awkward
Reply 47
Original post by jamboogy
Sorry mate, but was she inclined to give a ****? To her, you were probably just a talking blur

heh heh... you don't understand business processes well, evidently.
Reply 48
Original post by Agenda Suicide
I work in a supermarket and I normally don't pack items for those who have little or don't look like they would require help.

I don't immediately start scanning the next persons unless there's a huge queue and you only have a little amount.

However if you are one of these people that stand at the end of tills looking through your purse, messing in your bag, packing slowly, holding everybody up when you could be gone or atleast just make some effort to get out of the way then I start with the next person to give you the hint to move on.

TLDR: You have nothing to complain about, you're not the only customer that needs serving. My money is on there being a big qeue and you having barely any items.

lol.. no, there were only four people in the queue. After she gave me my change, she just dumped by items on the counter. the next person only had 2 items and her stuffed was bagged.

And before anybody says "were you rude?" well no.
Totally wrong..Just kill yourself
Reply 50
Tbh, I prefer to pack my own shopping because in some shops they cant do it properly.By that I mean they put bread in first and then put the heavier items on top, hence I end up with squished bread :mad:.
Reply 51
Original post by jo d
I was buying some items and the cashier after scanning them just dumped my stuff next to the bags and moved on to the next customer. She even started placing her items in bags. I said "excuse me, but is that customer service?"

Was this wrong?

Next time, just go to a shop with a self serve.
Reply 52
Original post by buildalegohouse
Absolutely not. The women that work in my local Asda have faces like flat-packed steel. Realy bugs me sometimes, good manners don't cost anything.

Well apparently £6 an hour doesn't buy them.
It wasn't that serious, honestly I would have forgotten about the incident as soon as I walked out the store but what is the need to thread about it? lol.
Reply 54
Original post by jo d
I was buying some items and the cashier after scanning them just dumped my stuff next to the bags and moved on to the next customer. She even started placing her items in bags. I said "excuse me, but is that customer service?"

Was this wrong?

Unusual for Marks, they are normally really polite and respectful.
Don't feel bad, you're not wrong. Customer service in this country is often POOR. In this instance we should take notes from the Americans, yeah they can come across as syrupy and overly nice but customer service is important! People don't like to shop in places where the staff have a bag on and neglect common decency. Moving on to the next customer was plain rude, she should have politely asked you if you wanted any help packing your bags.
Reply 56
This used to really piss me off when I was a cashier, you've got a set of arms and I don't get paid enough to pander to petty morons such as yourself to lazy to pack your own bag. Pack your **** and go I've got a queue here, only people I packed for was people struggling (crying kids and shopping alone or something), elderly and disabled customers.

Cashiers in M&S don't have to pack your bags. Only very upmarket places do that.

The customer is rarely right, the customer doesn't work there. And no we don't have to worship the ground you walk on, you be nice and I'll be nice.

You'll never quite know idiots until you work in a customer service job in retail, all faith in humanity lost within about 6 months working in tescos.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by Megaross

Cashiers in M&S don't have to pack your bags. Only very upmarket places do that.

The customer is rarely right, the customer doesn't work there.

They do at the branches I visit anyway. Maybe it's different in v. busy places like London?
Reply 58
Original post by zaliack
Next time, just go to a shop with a self serve.

so i can't get good service? don't you get good business processes?
Reply 59
Original post by Megaross
This used to really piss me off when I was a cashier, you've got a set of arms and I don't get paid enough to pander to petty morons such as yourself to lazy to pack your own bag. Pack your **** and go I've got a queue here, only people I packed for was people struggling (crying kids and shopping alone or something), elderly and disabled customers.

The customer is rarely right, the customer doesn't work there. And no we don't have to worship the ground you walk on, you be nice and I'll be nice.

Yet the customer provides firms with revenue. pooh-poohing customer service is silly, when there are laws, business/industry practices, etc. enforcing as such.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending