The Student Room Group

Girls who shave

Scroll to see replies

Reply 261
I find it odd that hair is seen as un-feminine when naturally, women have hair, but hey, if you want to shave, go forth and shave, young 'un.

Personally, I can't be bothered to shave. I wear trousers 99.99% of the time and I barely have any pit hair.
Reply 262
it's entirely a social construct and I see no reason why men aren't expected to shave their legs either. (hint: I do. It's called sexism)

Personally I'm not fond of underarm hair, but leg hair I couldn't care less about unless it's really dense and dark. This is men and women I'm talking about, mind. Plus if I'm running my hand up someone's leg I'd rather feel lots of long hairs than a few short and blunt ones. Those are scratchy, man. No matter what someone's hair is like though, they can do whatever they like with it and it's not up to me, so.

That said I do shave my legs every so often. I tend not to be arsed shaving unless I'm going to be wearing bare legs, though.
Reply 263
Well what's odd about it

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I have dark hair, so if I didn't shave it wouldn't be pretty....
When the weather's like this I only shave my legs once a week - not out of choice but because it aggravates my eczema. I love having smooth legs though. I do my underarms at least every other day if not every day. I try and do down there once a week to a few times a week even though my boyfriend's not around because otherwise it's a pain to get it all off when I have to. Trying to find alternative options like sugaring or removal cream because I have very coarse, thick, black hair which grows back at a ridiculous rate. :sigh: in summer or when I'm with my boyfriend I shave my legs every day. Shaving down there can be so painful though :frown:
That said, I asked the bf about down there before we slept together and he said anything between nicely trimmed and completely bare was fine by him. Sometimes if I haven't had a shower and need to shave my legs I'll be all like DON'T TOUCH ME IT'S NOT SEXY but he really, really doesn't care :colonhash:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by annelidatome
Why is shaving your legs such an important thing for girls? My step-mother won't let me shave because "you're only 14, you don't need to be trying to look sexy" but guys don't even notice. so why does it turn girls vicious, I get attacked all the time (wel, I wear jeans, so not 'all' the time) but why?

I don't think its too vital for girls to be shaving their legs at an early age. Maybe 14+, though personally I was a little younger. Armpits on the other hand are a different matter in my eyes, as I find it far more hygienic to shave them.
Original post by x-Sophie-x
I don't understand this either. In primary school, some girls used to make fun of the girls with darker hair during P.E. lessons :/
And we were only 9/10/11 at the time. It's quite immature of these girls to be honest; you should be able to do what you want and not feel self conscious (:

I have never shaved my legs. I had laser hair treatment on my legs when I was 14 and I used hair removal cream before that (:

you can get laser treatment at 14?!! wHERE'd you get it done?
Original post by im so academic
It's what men want. Deal with it, or deal with being forever alone - as they would say.

All men want a woman who is smooth all over. Especially down there.
I'm curious, are you this annoying in real life, or is it merely the internet? :tongue:
Hair legs are disgusting

It's one of the biggest turn offs ever. Seriously.

And on top of that, when a womans legs are silky smooth, it's great. Very sexy, and just lets you know that she takes care of herself.
Original post by hannahchan
you can get laser treatment at 14?!! wHERE'd you get it done?

I got it done in a salon in London, but the name has escaped me.

Yep, it is possible to get it done earlier. And apparently at an earlier age, it hurts less,- but it didn't really hurt anyway.
I used to steal my Mum's shaver and do my legs whilst my Dad was picking her up from work. I was about 12 :-|
I don't understand why people have an issue with the fact that the majority of men like shaven legs - it's just how things are. And rebelling to "prove a point" is just pathetic.
Original post by sarahthegemini
I don't understand why people have an issue with the fact that the majority of men like shaven legs - it's just how things are. And rebelling to "prove a point" is just pathetic.

The only reason men like shaven legs is because we've made it the standard of beauty. There will always be a slight variation in what different people find attractive, but in other societies and at different time in history, plenty of things that we find disgusting, including hairy armpits, are considered attractive. This unequal expectation of gendered beauty needs to be challenged, and I think that not shaving is the opposite of pathetic. It's about having the choice to decide what to do with our bodies which we don't currently have. It takes a massive mental shift to even consider not shaving. I'm proud of myself for making that step.
All right, so I the O.P., have some news. Drumroll, my step-mother has finally decided to allow me to shave my legs so, if you guys want to keep battling over sexism and stuff, I'll leave the thread open. But thanks for all the replies.
Reply 275
Original post by inadilemma
Oh the double standards! I'm not going to shave my body to appease small minded individuals such as yourself. If you can't see beyond someone's appearance and think body hair - something everyone has - makes someone less feminine, then you're extraordinarily shallow. I'm doing this for myself, not for anyone else. If people don't want to accept me for who I am, including my right to go au naturel, then they are not worth my time.

Yes you are supposed to shave. In the same way that men are expected to have some muscles/be fairly strong.
I can believe it when you said you got 'attacked'. At my secondary school the hairy girls were often bullied for having thick hair on their arms / eye brows / face. I honestly cannot believe you are 14 and have not shaved your legs yet as I knew no girls at the start of secondary school who did not shave.
I wanted to shave my legs for years before my mum allowed me to. I got a Venus razor for my 11th birthday (I was so happy at the time).
Reply 277
I'm going to be honest and say that I don't shave my underarms and legs unless I have too. So most of the time I'm hairy, but I really don't give a crap.
Original post by cyfer
Yes you are supposed to shave. In the same way that men are expected to have some muscles/be fairly strong.

guys aren't expected to have muscles/be strong, it's society's, media-induced 'ideal'. I'm not going to argue that it's unattractive to have muscles, but very few girls would be totally horrified at slightly weaker guys. Most girls I know don't really give a toss about that, and actually a few prefer skinny guys. Having muscles isn't 'expected', it's just something girls apparently like. And the same goes for shaving. No one's supposed to have anything to be attractive.
Reply 279
Original post by Mudya
I'm going to be honest and say that I don't shave my underarms and legs unless I have too. So most of the time I'm hairy, but I really don't give a crap.

Kudos to you. You haven't given in to the system. I'm sure it doesn't matter as long as they are not as hairy as a guys (right?)

Quick Reply