The Student Room Group

French Edexcel 19 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by robthefool
Ahh that translation was very hard.. I thought the first essay was quite hard as well.. I chose the one about people who work harder should earn more.. but I think I might have misinterpreted it a bit..

The literature essay was hard, so I chose region instead which was very nice! It asked about tradition so i talked about the wine tradition and the old towns and about the local dialect :smile:

In the second essay I notice that 30 marks are for research, so I think I put about 10 figures in my essay and mentioned quite a few town names, the name of the dialect, and some other stuff.. would that be good enough to get me a decent mark even though I used quite basic French in the second one?

Oh, and I think the boundaries will be relatively low, maybe 57/100 for a B again

I did the working hard one too! Think some of my arguments went a bit off topic.
I really didn't like the lit question but had no choice but to do it :frown: definitely messed up on that one as it was really hard to relate to the question well :/
The translation was hard! I had a total blank and forgot how to say spring or summer *doh*
with all the topics we discussed during the year.. such random discursive essays. But I guess that's edexcel
I did the life expectancy one...
and the translation meh, I forgot how to say warm up, and i'm hoping provisions in french is 'provisions' (but with a french accent :P)

literature question was probably the worst - took me ages to get my head around it and relate it to the play I studied. I'm worried I may've deviated a bit :/ Did any one do L'avare by Moliere??
Original post by princess.leia
with all the topics we discussed during the year.. such random discursive essays. But I guess that's edexcel
I did the life expectancy one...
and the translation meh, I forgot how to say warm up, and i'm hoping provisions in french is 'provisions' (but with a french accent :P)

literature question was probably the worst - took me ages to get my head around it and relate it to the play I studied. I'm worried I may've deviated a bit :/ Did any one do L'avare by Moliere??

I did L'avare, I wrote about how the only good thing he did was when he was blackmailed, but how there were plenty of examples of him being bad, and so the statement was false. But it was hard!

And provisions is provisions, and to heat is chauffer (I guessed that!), but did anyone know how to say "Let us hope"?
Reply 123
Original post by robthefool
Yeah, I think that was a pretty hard paper overall.. I can see the A boundary being about 65/100. Probably the hardest translation out of all the papers, and the essays weren't nice.

I also got confused about if I was answering the question, in the first one I was writing about how people such as farmers work long hours but don't get paid as much as some people who work in a bank for 5 days a week for a few hours, where the question was 'In an equal society, those who work harder should earn more, do you agree etc?' It had me thinking for quite a while but oh well.

oh shoot, i didnt know what that word meant so i didnt mention anything about "equal society" haha do you think i will lose many marks for that?
yea but because it was spose to be a balanced arguement and it was asking "should they" i didnt know what to write for why they shouldnt earn more haha
Original post by WillowSummers
I did L'avare, I wrote about how the only good thing he did was when he was blackmailed, but how there were plenty of examples of him being bad, and so the statement was false. But it was hard!

And provisions is provisions, and to heat is chauffer (I guessed that!), but did anyone know how to say "Let us hope"?

oooh yay :P and i wrote chauffer but people were saying it was rechauffer?
For let us hope i put on espere que + subjunctive. Don't know if that will count..

The whole 'hero' thing just threw me off.. I wrote about Valere, good because he fights so hard for elise, respected character etc.. but at the same time knows how to manipulate/lie and flatter harpagon. But then also wrote about how this statement isn't true with all moliere characters as he uses exaggerated onesided characters like harpagon.. ah it was all over the place :s-smilie:
oooh yay :P and i wrote chauffer but people were saying it was rechauffer?
For let us hope i put on espere que + subjunctive. Don't know if that will count..

The whole 'hero' thing just threw me off.. I wrote about Valere, good because he fights so hard for elise, respected character etc.. but at the same time knows how to manipulate/lie and flatter harpagon. But then also wrote about how this statement isn't true with all moliere characters as he uses exaggerated onesided characters like harpagon.. ah it was all over the place :s-smilie:

Isn't rechauffer to reheat? I'm confused, I looked it up and it said chauffer is to heat. Not that it matters, it's 1/3 of a mark.

I think I failed the lit. question, simply 'cause Harpagon isn't a hero. But I didn't know what else to write! If is had good research but slightly off topic, d'you think I'd only lose marks on organisation, 'cause those marks aren't high.
Reply 126
was the last sentence in the translation spose to be subjunctive or did it have to be future? cos i wrote esperons que... then subjunctive, but it said "will have" so i didnt know if it was spose to be future hahah
did anyone do les choristes?
also, did the literature question have to be balanced? cos the good guy in les choristes didnt do anythng bad! lol
what grades is everyone hoping to get?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 127
I put esperons que + future for "let's hope"
I also guessed provisions as "les provisions". I didn't know impatiently either so guessed "avec impatience" :smile:

I thought the translation was very hard. :s-smilie:

For the discursive essay I did the one about resembling/looking like others or distinguishing yourself from them, but I got a bit confused as I wasn't sure the question meant in terms of what you wear or just generally being/acting differently! (so I'm hoping whoever examines my paper understands my interpretation of the question!) I thought all the choices for the essay were a bit odd tbh.

The literature question actually fitted the book I studied very well, as all my notes on Les belles images have Laurence specifically mentioned as the "heroine" of the book.

I agree that boundaries will be probably lower than last year.
Hoping for an A/A* :s-smilie:
Original post by WillowSummers
Isn't rechauffer to reheat? I'm confused, I looked it up and it said chauffer is to heat. Not that it matters, it's 1/3 of a mark.

I think I failed the lit. question, simply 'cause Harpagon isn't a hero. But I didn't know what else to write! If is had good research but slightly off topic, d'you think I'd only lose marks on organisation, 'cause those marks aren't high.

I looked it up on wordreference.. http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/heat%20up
There's a subtle difference but I think you're right!

That's the problem I had too, I spent ages thinking can I talk about Harpagon here? I couldn't really tell if the 'hero' thing was literal or if it was just referring to a big character. That's why I just added that bit about the exaggerated characters just to put in more research to at least get points there!
I know others wrote about Harpagon so I wouldn't worry.
Most of it is research so yeah I if you think you went slightly off topic, I know I did!, you may just loose organisation/ relevance marks (I can't remember if the mark scheme has a relevance section that may be my spanish board...)
Original post by hprmc
was the last sentence in the translation spose to be subjunctive or did it have to be future? cos i wrote esperons que... then subjunctive, but it said "will have" so i didnt know if it was spose to be future hahah
also, did the literature question have to be balanced? cos the good guy in les choristes didnt do anythng bad! lol

naah I don't think it had to be balanced, if the good guy didn't do anything bad then you just say you disagree with the statement :P

I wrote esperer que + subjunctive but I think I may be wrong too :/
Reply 130
Original post by StickleBricks
I really didn't like the lit question but had no choice but to do it :frown: definitely messed up on that one as it was really hard to relate to the question well :/

Same, it sucked. :frown: I was going to talk about Mancelier, how he helped Jo but was a Pétainiste, but then decided I didn't know anything more than that, so I decided to talk about Doctor Rosen :confused::eek: for some reason, and everyone else in my class talked about Jo...

I did the healthy way of live discursive essay, which I think was alright.

The translation was a bit hard but nothing TOO difficult... I may have used imperfect/perfect tenses in the wrong place though.

We'll see.
Reply 131
Weirdest and hardest exam ever?! I spoke to my French teacher after the exam and she said herself it was the hardest one she'd seen and grade boundaries have got to be low.

Translation was surprisingly okay I thought. I put chauffe. Also is les anciens okay for elderly?! Whoooo got the perfect subjunctive after although (bien que)? Somehow I did! :s-smilie:. I checked provisions and it's not the same word in French unfortunately :frown:. And I put at the end esperer que + future, I thought about putting subjunctive but I thought it could be a trick one, because the tense was future? Maybe I'm wrong though.

Discursive essays oooomg. Couldn't decide for AGES which one to pick. But I chose the healthy way of life one which in the end turned out okay but I couldn't think of ideas for so long! Spent way too much time on that one!

And the dreaded literature essay. That was the worst. Horrible. They've never done it like that before either?! Soo hard.

Anyways I was aiming for an A but after that paper it's not looking very hopeful :frown: retakes in January wooo. Have a great summer guys xxxx
Reply 132
i just thought you always had to use subjunctive after que :L
what did the healthy living one actually mean?
oopsie daisy, i didnt agree or disagree with the statement in the literature one ahahaha
Original post by StickleBricks
I did the working hard one too! Think some of my arguments went a bit off topic.
The translation was hard! I had a total blank and forgot how to say spring or summer *doh*

Original post by hprmc
oh shoot, i didnt know what that word meant so i didnt mention anything about "equal society" haha do you think i will lose many marks for that?
yea but because it was spose to be a balanced arguement and it was asking "should they" i didnt know what to write for why they shouldnt earn more haha

I'm not sure hprmc, I don't think you will lose too many though, it was a very difficult question!

And yeah it was a tricky paper! Definitely the hardest so far and I think the literature question will have thrown a lot of people off, I'm so glad we did a region and a book now in class! The last two papers have been 69 and 66 out of 100 for an A, so I think maybe 64/100 for an A?
Original post by hprmc

yeah I did les choristes! I spoke about clement and i said that the bad thing that he did was that the music was a cover up and he in fact wanted to be in control of the school haha the question was annoying but it's done I suppose :/
Reply 135
http://french.about.com/od/mistakes/a/esperequetusois.htm
Esperer que + futur simple
(J'espere que l'ete sera plus ....)
I think the research based essay was what everyone was expecting. I mean c'mon guys, there are 4 main themes in research based essays (described in the specification found in edexcel.com)
-Personnages du livre/du film/du piece
-Themes importants traites dans le livre/film/piece
-Styles et techniques
-Themes sociaux/culturels

Quote from Edexcel specification:

Students would be expected to undertake in-depth study of a substantial target-language text, play or film. They would need to consider and demonstrate understanding of the following:
different characters
keythemes/issues
social and cultural setting
styles/techniques employed.

Key themes was the one that came up last year and social/cultural setting was the one that came up in 2010. The edexcel sample had the "main character" as a literature essay.
This year it would be either a character (main or secondary) or styles and techniques.
I did pretty well I guess.
The translation was not that hard, not easy either. Probably harder than the previous years ones.
naah I don't think it had to be balanced, if the good guy didn't do anything bad then you just say you disagree with the statement :P

I wrote esperer que + subjunctive but I think I may be wrong too :/

I put the subjunctive too and I've checked it and it seems that subjunctive or future is right. To hope would take subjunctive in italian and spanish too.

Esperer is never followed by a subjunctive
Really hard to make sure u kept following the question for discursive - hope I get enough :s
Reply 138
Idk, for the last sentence of the translation I wrote on espere qu'on aura un ete agreable. Dunno if it's correct or not

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 139
my mind went completely blank for pleasant and I wrote amiable :L is there any chance for a mark? haha
i wrote esperons que l'ete soit aimable :L :L

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending