The Student Room Group

How can anyone like Doctor Who?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by batman1308
I love Doctor Who.

I wouldn't call myself a Whovian, or a massive fan at least, but I've watched it ever since it rebooted when I was very young in 2005 - I've stuck with it ever since because my family watch it every Saturday night when it's on, so I've always watched it. The acting is good, the stories can be very good, and there's a certain vibe about it that makes it watchable (probably because it's one of the most famous British TV shows)

I also like Peter Capaldi as the Doctor, and I've liked all the Doctors incarnations so far, even Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor.

Everyone's different, so I have to disagree with your favour towards Capaldi. Maybe it's because you started watching it with an older doctor, but I started watching just before the pitiful reign of Eccleston ended. I must admit, he was a huge discouragement for me, but I absolutely adored David Tennant, and even though it took a while to warm up to him, Matt Smith too. Peter Capaldi on the other hand, is and always will be absolutely disgraceful in my eyes. I'm not a fortune teller, and I'm not certain that's the way it will always be, but right now, that's the way it's looking, unfortunately.
I do agree, but I STILL LOVE IT
How can you not like a time lord who travels in time and space fighting monsters and saving the universe along with having the ability to regenerate and transform into a new body if his body is too old,badly damaged or mortally wounded
Original post by Escobar1201
Everyone's different, so I have to disagree with your favour towards Capaldi. Maybe it's because you started watching it with an older doctor, but I started watching just before the pitiful reign of Eccleston ended. I must admit, he was a huge discouragement for me, but I absolutely adored David Tennant, and even though it took a while to warm up to him, Matt Smith too. Peter Capaldi on the other hand, is and always will be absolutely disgraceful in my eyes. I'm not a fortune teller, and I'm not certain that's the way it will always be, but right now, that's the way it's looking, unfortunately.

I think Capaldi is great at his job, the writers since he started however....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never even seen it lol
Ban me, or even kill me, but I will say you are COMPLETELY wrong. Back in the old days of Tennant and Smith, it was a bit cringy.Today, Capaldi helped the show grow a lot. It was 2012, chill. Today's DW is better.
****ing prick grow up
Original post by Dorito
Seriously, it is one of the worst things I think I have ever seen.

I think I have seen 3 full episodes and each one was worst than the last. The acting is so over the top and good actors like David Tennant and Matt Smith seem to crumble and turn into blithering idiots, reeling off cliche after cliche. Granted, they can't be blamed for this, the script is weak. The special effects are laughable and the storylines are severely lacking as well as highly predictable.

I initially overlooked this and admittedly could see how children may enjoy it but I come on here and I see people raving about how good it is and my housemates are the same, they all claim it is brilliant. Doctor Who is an icon of British TV but that is no excuse for the terrible episodes being churned out nowadays. There was not a single thing I enjoy about the show and I find myself cringing in places because the dialogue is so poor. Three episodes is enough for me, I don't think I'll be wasting anymore time on it.

There are plenty of bad TV shows out there but usually I can see their appeal, this is not the case for Doctor Who.

Maybe I'm missing something, is it supposed to look low budget? Is the acting over the top on purpose? Am I missing some huge inside joke? Help me out guys!

Dr Who the original series 1963 to 1989 was the best however the first 5 series of the 2005 revival are good after that it became stupid. I also feel that Dr Who is a male character so I'm not enthusiastic of the idea of a female Dr Who.
Totally agree, it has turned from good to bad very quickly, female doctor, guess they had to but at the sake of being politically correct rather than what viewers expect. I could except it if the acting was at least reasonable but it is so bad! Just watched another waste of time, excuse the pun, with electric fans in cheap plastic rocks. Bradley Walsh is good at game shows but acting is not his forte as can be reiterated for most of the cast. Overall absolute rubbish, did not rate Peter Capaldi after Matt Smith, but at least he could act!
I agree total rubbish
Ive got to admit ive never really got into it either. It just doesnt float my boat.
Original post by Oromis263
Because people have different opinions to you. Chill. Personally, I find it quite entertaining, as something light to relax and watch to zone out. Doesn't beat University Challenge though.

Actually I think it has really bad acting rubbish low budget effects and it's extremely cringeworthy
Doctor who is supposed to scare the **** out of kids. And adults. The recent version is a heap of politically correct crap. Don't bother to hide behind the sofa kids, or hide behind your computer screen. Don't worry...... No more scary dilecs (sorry my computer won't allow me to spell dilecs properly). What a betrayal of a magnificent programme. Total shame on the BBC. Absolutely garbage.
Reply 253
I really like it, my favourite programme ever. Even bad episodes are improved just because they may be part of the same programme. I've reached a level of ascension to which even a terrible episode is improved by being part of the same thing, really some are awful but through my love of the brilliant episodes do I find some of them atrocious.
101 reps omg that's my dream
hats while i watch dr who and drink

Quick Reply

Latest