The Student Room Group

The Ultimate TV Show and Miniseries Recommendations Thread

Scroll to see replies

[video="youtube;Lm46-envrHo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm46-envrHo[/video]

Looks great!

To add to the Horror Category

Bates Motel (2013- , 3 seasons so far)
Synopsis: A contemporary prequel to the film "Psycho," Gives a portrayal of how Norman Bates' psyche unravels through his teenage years once he and his mother Norma move to a small town called White Pine Bay. They soon discover that the town has many deep and dark secrets at its core, which just get worse and worse as time goes by.

Sherlock is a must see, was addicted to the programme, watched all episodes in about a week because there is only 3 seasons with 3 episodes in each (although each episode is about a film length)- i had no social life that week but it was so worth it
Spaced - Comedy with Simon Pegg and Jessica Stevenson
Black Books - Comedy with Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey
Nathan Barley - Comedy written by Charlie Brooker
How Do You Want Me? - Sort of comedy drama with Dylan Moran and Charlotte Coleman
Dollhouse - the Joss Whedon series everyone quickly forgot about
The Devils Whore - Historical mini-series with Andrea Riseborough and Michael Fassbender
Dead Set - It's about a bunch of Big Brother contestants (Channel 4 era) who're besieged by zombies!!!
The Returned - People return from the dead a bit like zombies but not quite.
Das Boot - the mini series version
I Claudius - an oldie but goodie.
Currently watching Spartacus..Epic!! Definitely recommended to those who liked Rome or The Gladiator
No Community on the OP hurts :'(
To add to the Crime or Sci-Fi catagory: Life on Mars (2006 to 2007 18 episodes) and Ashese to Ashes (2008 to 2010 24 episodes)

Life on mars is a British TV series revolving around modern day police officer Sam Tyler who wakes up in the 1970's after being hit by a car. The show is about him figuring out what has happend (whether he is crazy, in a coma or back in time- as the shows intro states) and having to work in a very different police force with a bunch of very un-PC PC's headed by Gene Hunt.

Ashes to Ashes serves as a sequel to the original series and features another police officer, Alex Drake, who wakes up in the 1980's after being shot in the head. This series follows a similar style whilst being of the same quality and follows Alex in her atempts to understand her situation and get bet to her daughter. Ashes to Ashes features the same police team from Life on Mars with Gene Hunt and co struggling to keep with the increasing amount of rules and regulations on the police force in the era.

Thats all I can really say without spoiling it.To me these series are amoungst the best british televison ever produced and don't take long to watch, with Life on Mars having my absolute favourite finale of any show ever.
Cop drama category: Rookie Blue

Set in Toronto, Canada, Rookie Blue follows the lives of 5 recruits as they enter 15th division. It is sort of like a Grey's Anatomy meets cops, where the focus is on the relationships that the characters build and how they deal with the challenges of being a rookie
I cant believe that the thread is missing greys anatomy, supernatural,switched at birth,the fosters ,the flash and doctor who!!
Greatest Spy-fi TV show of all time: La Femme Nikita (1997-2001). The writing was superbly crafted, the complex plot lines smartly relayed, and the incredible unmatched acting well executed. The futuristic setting of the world in which Section One existed is not yet even foreseeable now, more than 15 years after this masterpiece ended. La Femme Nikita is not just a TV show, it's a study in a perfectly executed work of art.
I loved Arrested Development. It's easy to watch, and it's funny. Totally recommended if you can't decide what to watch on Netflix and you just want something to chill out to
Hy i recommend everyone to watch the flash if you actually like watching drama,action,and people running faster than light :I they just released season 3. your welcome :wink:
Original post by Bromaldehyde
No Community on the OP hurts :'(

ikr i was supprized that it wasnt on there its my best show after Chuck which i totally reccomend they totally britta'd it (if you get the reference)
i'm happy to see Chuck is on the main list and its first probably cos imo its the best show ever
I can't believe no one has mentioned League of Gentlemen I mean this is a UK forum after all and as far as I know it's pretty well-known *disappointed as heck*

So ye it's a pretty messed up dark comedy show so I wouldn't recommend it for everyone but if you're into that then you should definitely go for it I binge watched the whole show and it's just so...good...i love it so much aaaahhhhh
(and this is the part where I would insert a link so you could watch a part of it but all those parts on youtube are from a new version or idek but they have this awful fake laugh which is truly unneccesary and annoying why do they have to do this with comedy shows WHY it's a sin I tell you)

(and you may ask 'But how did you find this show?' and my answer is: Inside No.9 <--- another fascinating show you should definitely check out)
Reply 155
What about Doctor Who or Friends?
What do you, so called good people think of the BBC's BROTHEL. On freeview channel 673 start 10pm.at 12pm on other channel's.You the tax payers pay for this.It's run by pimps,perverts,madams.Your probably thinking,men.Your wrong,women too,They encourage the other girls to have sex,with the men there,behind the camera.The girls probably enjoy the sex. Still a BBC BROTHEL,YOU PAY FOR IT. Should be on the internet,with all the other filth.The pimps are obviously good friends with the useless idiots,working at the BBC. Who approve it all.What can you so called good people do?. Simple like these people. SHUT IT DOWN.Tell them to bugger their women,in ther own homes,BBC's tax payers should not be paying for it,Obviously there are plenty of men on here,who would love to work on these sex channel's,and get payed for it.
Original post by danny111
Too much. I usually watch one of Modern Family/TBBT/Brooklyn 99/Trophy Wife whenever I'm bored, or just before bed.

Otherwise my favorite shows currently are White Collar, The Blacklist and Person of Interest and since I like detective shows, I also watch Castle and The Mentalist regularly.

Other shows that I don't follow whenever they come out are Arrow, Elementary Hawaii Five-0 and the Good Wife.

Oh and Psych just came back on, love that and still waiting for Suits and The Americans to come back on :smile:

You should try veronica mars if you love detective shows I mean technically she's a private eye but it's an amazin show!!! There are 3 seasons and a movie.

Quick Reply

Latest