The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by milutin767
got a B overall as my coursework was awful and somehow i managed to get a C (61/90) in F324 yet I was expecting A*, i can't believe those grade boundaries

They truly were horrendous
I got A*AA (Biology, Chemistry, Geography) and now off to Bath Uni in September to study Chemistry :biggrin:
Guys, whoever didn't do as well as they expected are you planning on resitting?
Original post by Lularose83
I think it was especially awful as I'd worked so hard on chem throughout the year! It was those grade boundaries and stupid coursework pieces 😡

I'm really upset with my chemistry results too:frown: are you planning on resitting?
disappointed with my a2 results, thought I would get an A in f324 but ended up with a B, got a B in f325 but I expected that, was surprised that I got an A in my f321 retake though, thought I did worse, I got a B overall but was SO close to an A, I'm so annoyed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4105
got a B overall as my coursework was awful and somehow i managed to get a C (61/90) in F324 yet I was expecting A*, i can't believe those grade boundaries

You're equally likely to get the same grade no matter the boundaries. That's why the results are normalised.
Original post by Midnightgodess
I'm really upset with my chemistry results too:frown: are you planning on resitting?

It's a horrible feeling 😥 I don't think I will resit, because that still limits which med schools I could apply to. Also, I'm not convinced I could get AAA second time round because I was confident I had that or similar up until yesterday :frown: I literally don't know where I went wrong!
Original post by alow
You're equally likely to get the same grade no matter the boundaries. That's why the results are normalised.

You are probably the only person on this particular forum who thinks that grade boundaries are always fair and 'normalised'. People who believe education system is perfect are very unclear to me.
I hope you got excellent results which reflect your effort and ability nevertheless, if that is anything to go by.
Reply 4108
You are probably the only person on this particular forum who thinks that grade boundaries are always fair and 'normalised'. People who believe education system is perfect are very unclear to me.
I hope you got excellent results which reflect your effort and ability nevertheless, if that is anything to go by.

A nearly identical proportion of people will get each grade on each paper. If you get a C in an exam it's because a certain percentage of the cohort did better than you, not because the grade boundaries were unfair.

Maybe next time if you practice more and better, you'll do better than those people.

My chemistry results were good thanks, I was really gutted about the 2 UMS I lost in the orgo paper though. But meh, orgo isn't my favorite even now.

However I didn't do so well in biology, because there were quite a few people who were better at it and worked harder.
My son got 62/150 in F325 after feeling confident coming out of the exam, he was only 2 marks off of a U. He got a C overall and got accepted into his first choice uni so I suppose we should just accept it, but it is annoying.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fox Corner
Hi everyone :wavey:

Happy results day! How did Chemistry go for you?

A few ums off an A*, getting a remark for f324 & f325 so fingers crossed!
Original post by ozziew
A few ums off an A*, getting a remark for f324 & f325 so fingers crossed!

hey did u get ur remark back?

Posted from TSR Mobile
grrr so annoyed
and...... 42 in the coursework
267 A2 ums 89%
Original post by Hunnybeebee
anyone ever heard of anyone ordering a paper back and the grade changing? I dont plan on getting on getting a remark just worried as I'm still shocked I got a B in f324 when I was pretty sure I failed it

No, if you request a paper back then it will not even be seen by an examiner, just sent from OCR by email.
Do you think it's worth going for a remark on f324 for 77/90
I need 3 more ums for A*, how many raw marks would that be (roughly if exact answer isn't possible) and do you think going up is possible
Original post by k.russell
I need 3 more ums for A*, how many raw marks would that be (roughly if exact answer isn't possible) and do you think going up is possible

I need 3 UMS to get an A in chemistry and will be asking for a photo copy of two of my papers, and hopefully gain the mark scheme from a teacher to see if I'll be eligible for any more marks.

A rough estimate would be that you'd need to gain 2 raw marks to go up by 4 UMS, however you should check the grade boundaries just to make sure.

I think you got 53 raw marks? So not many to gain :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sadly 1 raw up gives you 2 ums, 2 gives you 4, 53 to 55 is unlikely but possible so worth a shot.

Original post by postexamtalk
I need 3 UMS to get an A in chemistry and will be asking for a photo copy of two of my papers, and hopefully gain the mark scheme from a teacher to see if I'll be eligible for any more marks.

A rough estimate would be that you'd need to gain 2 raw marks to go up by 4 UMS, however you should check the grade boundaries just to make sure.

I was told by our school that if we asked for a photo copy it would only arrive AFTER the deadline for remarks specifically so you can't look at it and ask for a remark. It seems a bit ridiculous they'd do that tho and no idea if that's right...
Original post by bubblegumcat
hey did u get ur remark back?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not yet haha, it's not a priority one as I'm already in my firm choice, hopefully its back by the end of August/mid September though.

I think F324 and F325 grade boundaries were "fair", since the exams were easier than average (I'm saying that after having done all the past papers)
I practiced chemistry every day, I analysed every past paper and I have learnt all the mark schemes, and I got an A*, so if you work hard enough, you'll get the grade you want no matter what the boundaries are. Moreover, I think most of the maths grade boundaries were fair as well (in some cases I actually predicted higher boundaries lol)
Having said all this, I think there are many things wrong with our education, it is so far from perfect..

However, the coursework was a joke, it's very unfair to lose 6 UMS for 1 mark

Quick Reply