The Student Room Group

Taking up the piano again (yay!)

Hey,

Well I'm about to embark on the playing of the ol' piano again because I miss it and not because I've just watched that Documentary about Fry and Laurie and Hugh plays very well...:colondollar:

I only made it to the Preparatory Test...yeah I know...I stopped because my teacher would slap my wrist if I played a wrong note!

Well anyway, my question is - can someone like me aged 24, be any near as good as someone who has played since...I dunno, the age of 7? Let's say 10 years from now, I'm 34 (:frown:) and the kid is now 17. We both have the same amount of experience but because the kid started young will he be any better than me? Do you understand what I mean? When you a kid you learn quicker and stuff.

Any thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think the age you start makes any difference - just ability, talent and practise. Good luck! Piano is great :yep:
Original post by S_123
I don't think the age you start makes any difference - just ability, talent and practise. Good luck! Piano is great :yep:

That's good to know :smile: Do you know how long it takes to get through the grades? or can you go as fast as you want?
I'm still playing the trombone you lazy *******.
Why not? Nothing stopping you...unless you need to buy a Cornet?

I need to buy a goddamn piano haha or an electronic one of some sort. Got my trusty Yamaha but it's just not the same :redface:
Just because my instrument is bigger than yours.
Why not get a teacher again? That's what I'm doing because I'm rubbish with self discipline and all that.

There is a button you can press on the keyboard that make the keys soft or loud but you have to slam the keys down to get any kinda noise. Not cool.
Reply 7
Original post by The Procrastinator
That's good to know :smile: Do you know how long it takes to get through the grades? or can you go as fast as you want?

Well I've been playing about 7 years now and I'm at a Grade 6ish level so it definitely takes a while. You don't have to do grades if you don't want but you can go as fast as you like e.g. do a grade, play loads of your own songs, move on to next grade a few months later.
Original post by S_123
Well I've been playing about 7 years now and I'm at a Grade 6ish level so it definitely takes a while. You don't have to do grades if you don't want but you can go as fast as you like e.g. do a grade, play loads of your own songs, move on to next grade a few months later.

Oo that's a long time! I bet you're pretty good now, eh? :biggrin: Yes, I Do want to do the grades, so I can gage how good I'm getting :smile:

Can you play this? I freaking LOVE it. I reckon it's the speed that would be the problem in this. I can kinda play the first movement...nice and slow heehee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENPPxrE-77Q
Reply 9
I'm so jealous of seeing people playing the piano so well. I started when I was 6 and stopped at like 9 and I only got to grade 1. I was so foolish back then for being so lazy to practice when I am so lucky to have my grandma teach me. I adored my grandma whenever she played! My entire family is into music so that's probably why I wanted something different. But I regret it now! :frown:
Original post by cezz_18
I'm so jealous of seeing people playing the piano so well. I started when I was 6 and stopped at like 9 and I only got to grade 1. I was so foolish back then for being so lazy to practice when I am so lucky to have my grandma teach me. I adored my grandma whenever she played! My entire family is into music so that's probably why I wanted something different. But I regret it now! :frown:

Ah the whole "The grass is greener on the other side". I feel the same way really about other things though. I could have been an Olympic swimmer! Well, pretty good anyway :tongue:

How old are you? It doesn't have to be the be all end does it? Start again :smile:
Reply 11
:o:o
Ah the whole "The grass is greener on the other side". I feel the same way really about other things though. I could have been an Olympic swimmer! Well, pretty good anyway :tongue:

How old are you? It doesn't have to be the be all end does it? Start again :smile:

It's not a career choice. It's just my family's past time. Back when I was younger, everyone would gather around the music room and just play the instruments. I did enjoy playing but not enough to keep me interested. I guess it's not too late but I can't find the time. I'm 20 btw.
Original post by cezz_18
:o:o

It's not a career choice. It's just my family's past time. Back when I was younger, everyone would gather around the music room and just play the instruments. I did enjoy playing but not enough to keep me interested. I guess it's not too late but I can't find the time. I'm 20 btw.

Oh I didn't mean as a career or anything (even so, that's still possible I reckon!). Yeah time isn't on my side either but I'm going to try and squeeze it in and let the new piano teacher know that I can't always practice, because if they start being miffed at my lack of practise, that is when it goes downhill for me.

Hope you manage to start again :smile: Wish my family did that like yours, sounds really nice :biggrin:
I've done the same thing! Although I'm teaching my self with a "Adult beginners" book. Going pretty well so far :smile:
Original post by karateworm
I've done the same thing! Although I'm teaching my self with a "Adult beginners" book. Going pretty well so far :smile:

Good for you! :biggrin: I wish I had some self motivation but I'm a needy person and need a teacher to praise me now and again on my good playing....sad, I know :redface: :colondollar:

Have you done any of the grades?
Reply 15
Oo that's a long time! I bet you're pretty good now, eh? :biggrin: Yes, I Do want to do the grades, so I can gage how good I'm getting :smile:

Can you play this? I freaking LOVE it. I reckon it's the speed that would be the problem in this. I can kinda play the first movement...nice and slow heehee

Haha no I can't play that - wow it's so fast! My sight reading is not that good so I have to work on songs for quite a while before I'm good at them. If you're a good sight reader, you're set :smile: :adore:
Original post by S_123
Haha no I can't play that - wow it's so fast! My sight reading is not that good so I have to work on songs for quite a while before I'm good at them. If you're a good sight reader, you're set :smile: :adore:

Ah...well, my sight reading isn't too great either. I can read music fine but playing AND reading makes my head implode. I have to memorise everything I do so I can actually enjoy it more.

If you have any good songs to recommend, then pease do :smile: I'm trawling YouTube at the moment, trying to find all the ones I used to like. It's kinda hard when you don't know the names! :biggrin:
Reply 17
Ah...well, my sight reading isn't too great either. I can read music fine but playing AND reading makes my head implode. I have to memorise everything I do so I can actually enjoy it more.

If you have any good songs to recommend, then pease do :smile: I'm trawling YouTube at the moment, trying to find all the ones I used to like. It's kinda hard when you don't know the names! :biggrin:

I know it's overplayed but my absolute favourite is Fur Elise - Beethoven. I play it all the time :biggrin: And it's not too difficult: the main theme is like a Grade 2 standard maybe and it's probably possible to play the whole thing by about Grade 4ish. You could give that a go? :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by S_123
I know it's overplayed but my absolute favourite is Fur Elise - Beethoven. I play it all the time :biggrin: And it's not too difficult: the main theme is like a Grade 2 standard maybe and it's probably possible to play the whole thing by about Grade 4ish. You could give that a go? :smile:

I will have a go at that one...doesn't sound too tricky, but I'm usualy wrong and get all inpatient :biggrin: I'm the same too, if I learn something, I play and play and play it because when you can play something flawlessly it makes you feel good! :biggrin:

I've been through YouTube looking for vids. I love this guy, he does film tunes and stuff but the piano sounds so good :awesome:

This is my fave at the moment! Think it's from the Truman Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzGSIT4g0no

3rd mvt of Moonlight Sonata is insanely hard. We are talking beyond the level of most grade 8 piano players. I agree with you though, it is one of my most favourite pieces - much better than the first movement.

Quick Reply

Latest