The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Getting upset with the lack of English-speaking people in England.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I also avoid English pubs and cafes when I'm abroad, and always try to order food in the language of the country I'm in.

Why?
Reply 101
Look guys, we all know who the problem country is....

Finland.
This thread (I was the first to respond) has utterly wrecked my rep. Oops.
Actually I do. I always try to learn some basic phrases. I have a number of phrase books. I avoid those in football shirts like the plague because I think it's arrogant. I also avoid English pubs and cafes when I'm abroad, and always try to order food in the language of the country I'm in. I make the effort so I think others should too.

England is more than a rock. It's a lifestyle. A collection of centuries of modern history.

Just because you act a certain way, which you might find "respectful", doesn't mean that other people should too. England is still more than 98% British, it just so happens that the immigrants are concentrated at specific ghettos where it's actually DIFFICULT for them to "integrate" with british society because they're not essentially in britain.
Reply 104
Original post by TurboCretin
A matter which is sure to be helped by jumping to conclusions about what people are saying - what you said was straw-manning. He's saying if foreigners (one of whom is his girlfriend - note: evidence against his being prejudiced) come to live in England, they should be able to speak English. Not "don't come here if you're foreign".

Lol yeah, I get that now...least I'm holding my hands up to it! :colondollar:
Reply 105
Everyone has a right to live their own lifestyle. "Culture" is pretty stupid tbh. I don't follow any culture, my lifestyle is different to others because I make my own decisions and don't need to follow someone else.
It doesn't feel like England is actually English any more. At least not in certain cities. I'm surrounded by so many people who don't speak English, it feels like I'm a tourist in my own country. It makes me feel awkward and uneasy. I don't know what they are saying, nor why so many Europeans insist on shouting at each other, whilst the Asians shout at people on their phones. So many people come here and don't make the effort to integrate at all with our society, so subsequently it's getting washed out. England does have a culture, and people who come here should embrace it, not smother it with their cultures from other countries. It's not un-PC to reserve Englishness!

I hate going into a shop and not being understood. I'm English! If you have a job where you are working in England and speaking to English people then you should know English! Why can people like that get jobs when so many of our own can't get them - and no it's not laziness.

It's just really making me upset. I hate the people on here who complain about how **** England is, and have their flags as India or Ghana, but they would never actually live there. If you're English, you're English. If you hate this country, you can piss off.

Unfortunately anonymous because this is spurred on by my girlfriend and her family who keep insisting that I should learn their language. No, you're in England, you learn English!

Lol, do you have any idea the percentage of English people who speak the local language in expatriate communities abroad? The rest of the world goes to a great effort to pick up English to a level that, at times, exceeds that of native speakers. Few even end up going to the UK for a holiday, much less settling down and using their English speaking skills. English is becoming the most spoken language in the world. The vast majority of tourists in the UK are capable of conversational English! My point is, on average, English people are far less courteous abroad regarding picking up the language spoken, than non-English people are here.

And how does it even directly interfere with your life? You're catastrophizing things that should not have such an effect on you.
(edited 12 years ago)
People wishing to have residence in this country for more than 3 months, should take an english language aptitude test, so they can converse in at least basic phrases for their safety and other peoples. An example would be simple directions, yes/no q&a. What is your name, date of birth Address etc.
Reply 108
Original post by Foo.mp3
So what's the preferred prescription?- Quiet distain followed by a hearty course of inertia?.. How quintessentially English :h: Unfortunately such post-war gentility is what's landed us in this mess..

Not everyone is content to live a half-life barricaded in their homes in a half-society, feeling like a foreigner in their own (increasingly segregated) towns and cities.. I'd rather be lumped with the BNP than sit idly by and raise no concerns about the erosion of our social fabric/pressure on services. Multiculturalism and 'immigration policy' are a colossal fail. Even immigrants seem to realise this :s-smilie:

The point of this post, and the wider societal picture, is that in sharing the rock unthinkingly we erode the value in residing thereon, at an ever increasing pace :rolleyes:

The way you type is so annoying.
Original post by Dragonfly07
Just because you act a certain way, which you might find "respectful", doesn't mean that other people should too. England is still more than 98% British, it just so happens that the immigrants are concentrated at specific ghettos where it's actually DIFFICULT for them to "integrate" with british society because they're not essentially in britain.

What?
Original post by TurboCretin
What?

It's a ghetto. No one around there is British. They have no British little to no influence to learn "britishness" from.
It's a ghetto. No one around there is British. They have no British little to no influence to learn "britishness" from.

There are no ghettos in England.
Original post by Wilfred Little
There are no ghettos in England.

Do you know what a ghetto is?
People may accuse this post of being ignorant, but its ignorant to assume immigration is so good. If you have a ridiculously high unemployment rate then why let people in if theyll struggle to get a menial job. Thats not racist or nationalist its just common sense. Whether they be white or whether they be black (or in most cases asian)
Do you know what a ghetto is?

Not somewhere where people are walking around in £100 Air Max trainers while typing into their Blackberry phones.
Original post by AverageExcellence
People may accuse this post of being ignorant, but its ignorant to assume immigration is so good. If you have a ridiculously high unemployment rate then why let people in if theyll struggle to get a menial job. Thats not racist or nationalist its just common sense. Whether they be white or whether they be black (or in most cases asian)

Your true colours came out in that last sentence.

Racist pig.
Well see thats the thing. People do know english, its not that they don't they do otherwise why would they come here and get jobs when they can't speak the words. However, when they see their friends who may be the same ethinicty as them or family do they really need to go to the trouble of speaking english to them, especially if they are not as fluent or lack some understanding. Like america its a free country! People do speak english casually in mix with their langauge so whats wrong with that, its a multisociety, with different people. Here is an example; Asad is from Pakistan, he just heard that he has some sort of problem with him with is quite serious, will he then tell his parents or family in english when he can express his feelings and emotions with it in his langauge? Think about it. People do respect your language, traditions which is why most celebrate the same festivals as you.
Whereas jobs, you can't just judge anyone that they hav taken your job, You want the job, you work hard for that job! you get the qualifications, the skills.
Not somewhere where people are walking around in £100 Air Max trainers while typing into their Blackberry phones.

A ghetto is a place where a particular group of minority people are concentrated. It doesn't have to be a criminal or poor neighborhood. The reason it's often not a Buckingham palace is because of segregation.
Your true colours came out in that last sentence.

Racist pig.

How is that racist ? are you simple or something? its no secret that a majority of the immigration, say in the UK is from middle eastern countries such as pakistan, bangladesh, afganistan etc.

If its such an outrageous thing to say then why is the government introducing legislation to limit the amount of non-eu immigrations to 35k workers?

think before you throw around such rude comments.
A ghetto is a place where a particular group of minority people are concentrated. It doesn't have to be a criminal or poor neighborhood. The reason it's often not a Buckingham palace is because of segregation.

The dictionary disagrees with you:

1. (n.) an impoverished, neglected, or otherwise disadvantaged residential area of a city.

:cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending