The Student Room Group

I hate being a woman.

This is something that has gotten me down so much I often find myself in tears out of frustration.

Is it just me, or is this 'LAD' culture joke gotten just a little out of hand? I know the majority of the jokes said (initially) are just jokes, but from some of the comments I have read (i.e. "women are only good for punching, ****ing and making food" << holy crap!) I am starting to feel like our generation is going backwards, that women's rights really are something to be laughed at, and to absolutely hate women is the done thing to do. And unfortunately I am starting to believe them.

As a women, I feel demoralised and humilated. To stick up for yourself automatically makes you a 'stupid feminist'. To do nothing only allows people to treat you more like crap. I hate the stupid tv commercials aimed at women that make us look like imbeciles, only interested in buying new shoes and rolling our eyes at men. I feel like my own boyfriend looks down on me, and I am tired of people making off-hand insulting comments as if it is ok. For example, my 14 year old brother seems to think it ok to call me a '****ing whore' under his breath, even when we are just joking around.

I feel like my sex is feeble, and if any woman ever tries to stick up for equal rights (God forbid!) she will be insulted and pushed down by society - and not just men! More and more girls seem to think it 'cool' to side with men on extreme sexist 'jokes', which I simply don't understand.

I suppose i just want to know WHY our generation seem to hate women so much? I don't hate men - but then again, I can see why men may think we do due to the idiotic representations of women on tv...It feels like there is so much venom in these LADgroups on websites, and I mean really HATE women, like we are not worth anything. No wonder so many I feel so ****...

I'm scared to post this cause I can already tell I will receive humiliating comments. Am I the only one who feels this way? I feel like there is literally no hope for me in life if I am to stay this gender.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bear in mind that people can put on whatever persona they wish on the internet. The people saying these things will not represent the views even of a moderate minority of the population. They most probably won't even be representative of the views of the people posting.
Reply 2
What's wrong with an authoritarian man asking you to make a sandwich :sexface: :sogood:?
Reply 3
i get the jist of what you are saying...

but a tad dramatic

i think you need to associate with better people
Reply 4
Here's the solution:

Stop caring what people say about you, because people who make comments on your worth as a human being based on your biology are worthless cretins.
I get where you're coming from, but I don't think it's meant in an intentionally hurtful way :s-smilie:
Reply 6
I love how original and fresh it all is. The sandwich jokes in particular never get old.
You're not alone. I too feel we are going backwards. As you say, any stand for women's rights gets pushed back with cries of 'Stupid feminist', by men and women. Stay strong, put your head up high, and continue with the good fight. Things will never be truly equal, we'll never be truly fully respected, especially globally, but we can get as close as we can... :wink:

Aaaaand cue neg reps...
Reply 8
Original post by Ascendansy
You don't hate being a woman, you hate yourself.

This is probably more accurate than the OP might first think.

OP should seek self-acceptance.
Reply 9
If your boyfriend doesn't respect you, maybe it's time to re-access.
The only way to beat adversity is to laugh in its face. If you get mad at someone making a sexist comment, you only make them realize that pisses you off, so they'll do it more. Its pretty simple bully psychology.
Reply 11
there are quite a few adverts that make men look like bumbling IDIOTS

I don't understand how these even got the green light to be aired
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm a woman too, but I don't listen to these comments, or read them. It doesn't really bother me to be honest as I wouldn't hang around with someone who held such a view anyway. And I really believe a lot of guys aren't trying to intentionally hurt women, guys joke about everything (in my experience)
Reply 13
Really? To be honest, I think things are worse for men right now than for women, lots of TV ads for example characterise men as shallow beings interested in nothing but sex.
Reply 14
Lad culture is a phenomenon that is modern, simply because its archaic. Educated young men of 40 years ago were for women's right because it was new and relevant, they're just asserting themselves as 'new' now, except now they think they're masters of banter. I assure you that the men who put on the persona of 'wench get to the kitchen' are single or whipped by their girlfriends. Never hate being a woman and don't ever feel like you need to wave the feminist flag, it's been waved, we're equal. We just make better sandwiches.
Original post by buchanan700
You're not alone. I too feel we are going backwards. As you say, any stand for women's rights gets pushed back with cries of 'Stupid feminist', by men and women. Stay strong, put your head up high, and continue with the good fight. Things will never be truly equal, we'll never be truly fully respected, especially globally, but we can get as close as we can... :wink:

Aaaaand cue neg reps...

Totally agree, and it's so sad that posts like yours will almost inevitably get neg rep and the "bloody feminist" type comments.
Original post by sword
there are adverts that make men look like bumbling IDIOTS

I don't understand how these even got the green light to be aired

I complained to the ASA about Oven Pride's most derogatory video (not included in your post, but along those lines...).

If OP has a problem with specific "sexist" adverts she should do the same.
(edited 12 years ago)
@ OP, though I'm male, I can see where you are coming from. I get on better with females than I do with males, and it upsets me that a small minority of males treat women in this ignorant way. They feel threatened by the power women now have - personally can't understand it myself. However, a small minority of women act the same way towards men. I understand that you feel offended - some people do it deliberately and maliciously, but most of the time it is only intended as light-hearted. I hope that reading this post makes you feel at least a little bit better.
Nothing wrong with being a woman.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
JUST because it's intended as ''light hearted'' doesn't mean it's okay, it hurts to hurl sexist insults like it's nothing, it's degrading and stops any progression.

Unfortunately, it's ingrained in people from a very young age to be discriminatory that some people don't realise how offensive and ignorant they are/sound and makes the victim feel like they're 'wrong' for feeling offended

Quick Reply

Latest