The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laut_biru
Just intrigued to put this out here.

How many of you realise that I wouldn't consider someone like Idle, with schizophrenia to be a good fit for this thread, as opposed to a complex illnesses thread, along with discussion of PD's?

I don't think that it matters massively. We've got people without or between diagnoses, people for whom depression is a lesser issue alongside other problems, I used to still post in here even once my depression had lifted... Who says that putting people into more and more categories is necessarily a good thing?
Original post by ViceVersa
And mods can make an announcement at the top of the MH forum saying so

Forever? I doubt they will be too happy with having an infinitive announcement. And if it isn't infinitive, then after the announcement goes, you have the same problem for any new poster who comes along.

Original post by Idle
Well it is in the title, depression is under mood disorders? I assume it would be posted in the first post in the thread as well if it did happen.

Yes, but why would you look at a thread that doesn't appear to be relevant to what you want? The title says what the thread is about, if the title is "Mood Disorders Thread", and you don't know that you want advice on a mood disorder, you move on, and most likely end up just making your own thread. Not a big issue, people make their own threads now and get answers, but I thought one of the points of these changes was to make it easier for new posters in the thread to get answers/help?
1) depression is extremely heterogeneous. It is extremely common for it to be comorbid with other disorders. psychosis and anxiety are both part and parcel of depression diagnoses for some people. not only that depression is not just a diagnosis, it's a symptom: it's depressed mood. depressed mood goes far beyond those people with "pure clinical depression", of whom there are EXTREMELY few.

2) mood disorders which aren't depression are also very different from depression. I see no reason to include them and not include personality disorders which have depression as a very common element

3) people talking about "unhealthy" activities (such as self-harm) != people with personality disorders

4) it is completely valid to oppose doctors and diagnoses we think are wrong. people need to take it upon themselves to educate themselves and not expect this thread or psychiatry to do everything for them
Reply 143
This is becoming increasingly complicated and I'm not sure it's helping anyone.

I, personally, don't use this thread just for support - I'm friends with a heck of a lot of you guys, and I like to know how you're doing and anything I can do to help. Trawling through 4 or 5 different threads isn't something that I'd be able to do, and I agree with Rob that splitting the threads too much will lead to fewer people per thread, ergo less support and less experience.

I can't remember the last time I saw a post get buried in any of our DepSoc threads - people who post and want support get replies as far as I can see, and those people who don't want support as part of a community often post one off threads in the mental health forum and usually it's one of us that answers them anyway, so they're still supported too.

The vast majority of posters here use TSR extremely regularly and have built up good relationships with each other and we each know the next persons history pretty darn well too in a lot of cases. Splittling threads, in my view, overcomplicates things hugely, and there are vast grey areas in mental illness and symptoms as we all well know.

A person with psychotic depression, under some of these proposed guidelines, would have to post in one thread when they were psychotic, and in another when they were depressed but without psychotic symtoms. This might mean them having to introduce themselves to a new forum of people, which IMO wouldn't happen, and they would just continue to use the psychosis thread. The reason that I say that is because that's exactly what has happened with DepSoc. It's been an organic transition, and even though the diagnosis-based make up of this thread may have changed over recent months, we've still had new posters who have stuck around.
I think waiting for what intake the mods have and then a decision made is probably best.
Original post by Nut.

I, personally, don't use this thread just for support - I'm friends with a heck of a lot of you guys, and I like to know how you're doing and anything I can do to help. Trawling through 4 or 5 different threads isn't something that I'd be able to do, and I agree with Rob that splitting the threads too much will lead to fewer people per thread, ergo less support and less experience.

I can't remember the last time I saw a post get buried in any of our DepSoc threads - people who post and want support get replies as far as I can see, and those people who don't want support as part of a community often post one off threads in the mental health forum and usually it's one of us that answers them anyway, so they're still supported too.

The vast majority of posters here use TSR extremely regularly and have built up good relationships with each other and we each know the next persons history pretty darn well too in a lot of cases. Splittling threads, in my view, overcomplicates things hugely, and there are vast grey areas in mental illness and symptoms as we all well know.

A person with psychotic depression, under some of these proposed guidelines, would have to post in one thread when they were psychotic, and in another when they were depressed but without psychotic symtoms. This might mean them having to introduce themselves to a new forum of people, which IMO wouldn't happen, and they would just continue to use the psychosis thread. The reason that I say that is because that's exactly what has happened with DepSoc. It's been an organic transition, and even though the diagnosis-based make up of this thread may have changed over recent months, we've still had new posters who have stuck around.

*gets wolfy stamp of approval*
Reply 146
I think waiting for what intake the mods have and then a decision made is probably best.

Yeah same.
Better be free food for the Bipolar people.

Just saying.
Original post by Nut.

I agree with this^
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
Better be free food for the Bipolar people.

Just saying.

I could get behind this policy.
People should really calm down. It's just being discussed. Not a veto on immediate action. I think. But I can understand why people feel more insecure about posting now.
Can't we all just pop a happy pill and remember that we're all friends? :puppyeyes:
Original post by superwolf
Can't we all just pop a happy pill and remember that we're all friends? :puppyeyes:

I wuv you :puppyeyes:
I wuv you :puppyeyes:

:penguinhug:
Calming down is a very good idea tbh :yep:

:penguinhug:

Yay!

Spoiler

I would, but the sweetie shop is just too far away for my effort to make it :sad:

So instead, free lovings for everyone :grouphugs:
Calming down is a very good idea tbh :yep:

Yay!

Spoiler

*searches for penguin humping emoticon*

I think sadly a smilie hasn't yet been invented to convey the sorts of things us two ought to be doing to each other. :colone:

Original post by Alofleicester
I would, but the sweetie shop is just too far away for my effort to make it :sad:

So instead, free lovings for everyone :grouphugs:

:console: If you like I could add your name and address to my entirely innocent database, and then I can send you entirely drug-free sweeties?

I think sadly a smilie hasn't yet been invented to convey the sorts of things us two ought to be doing to each other. :colone:

:console: If you like I could add your name and address to my entirely innocent database, and then I can send you entirely drug-free sweeties?

How much would this database membership be costing?

Doctor said those sweeties weren't the best option when I last went to see him (although admittedly he's not the greatest doctor - a friend went to see him about a finger infection and he gave her a cartoon about colds :laugh:) so I self-medicate with smarties. The sugar and e-numbers make me super happy :nutcase:
This is going too far, where are le mods?

Then we ought to fix that don't we :colone:
Just wondering. Why not create a separate thread for people with every possible type of depression? And then a new thread for people with every gender, race, sexual orientation, and religion? And we can keep on making more and more threads, until everyone has a thread of their own. That will definitely help address the reason for threads like this.

And btw, if you guys are doing this to replace people you don't like with people you do like, you should just say so up front.

Latest