The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Paying for 2012-2013 tuition fees in parts?

Hi all,

Would it be possible to pay for the tuition fees in parts over the course of the year? I know that if you take a student loan, they pay it over the course of the year to the university, so could you do that yourself?
I would prefer not take the loan because of the changed terms and the pretty high interest theyre adding.
However, I dont think I will be able to have all the money available at the start of the year.

This is the only information available on the university website:
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/registry/studentfinancialsupport/tuitionfees/tuitionfeespaymentterms#HowtoPay

Any ideas?
Reply 1
I was just looking this up myself on the FAQ website:

If you are a Home or EU Undergraduate there is no charge for instalments. For all other students the fee is 4% of your total invoice

I guess that's a yes then!
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Can you get a loan part way through the year? It would be a waste of time and money if you suddenly ran out of money in the final term.
Reply 3
Original post by AeroLB
I was just looking this up myself on the FAQ website:

I guess that's a yes then!

Great! Also just sent off an email to their tuition fees team with some questions, will update here with answers.
If choosing to pay by instalments, I think first payment is due when you start your course (Sept/Oct) and the rest due by mid-Feb. This will be the course fees minus the deposit paid (when offer was accepted). I assume that a person can make extra payments at any time between instalments which will then be reflected in the balances on the invoice.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/registry/studentfinancialsupport/tuitionfees/tuitionfeespaymentterms

Read the relevant sections (which applies to you, i.e. undergraduate, postgraduate, etc.).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by James82
Can you get a loan part way through the year? It would be a waste of time and money if you suddenly ran out of money in the final term.

Do you mean a loan from a commercial institution (such as a bank) or a loan from the university? If its the former, sure you can, if you qualify, but remember any money owed to Imperial as shown on the invoice has to be paid by the dates given. If you want to get a loan, make sure you have it by Feb to pay the final instalment balance.

Enquiries regarding the payment of fees can be made by email to: [email protected] or by telephone on 020 7594 8011.

I hope this helps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Linke
Great! Also just sent off an email to their tuition fees team with some questions, will update here with answers.

Got this answer from their tuition fees team:
"Your fees may be paid in two instalments, the first will become due by 1st September 2012, the second by 18th February 2013"

I'm assuming the cost is split between them equally and that you can use any of the methods of payment to pay either of them. (not 100% sure though)
:smile: That's what I said :smile: and yes its a 50:50 split.

Just remember, for certain payment methods they charge an extra percentage fee for processing (Payment by credit card and non-UK debit card will attract a surcharge of 1.345% on the value of the transaction.). Details on the link I posted above.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
According to a statement on the link if you pay using the 2 installments you have to pay an extra 4% which goes with the first payment. So in total you pay £9360 split £4860 and £4500.

Here is the section:

'All self-funded students whose sessional fee exceeds £2,000 have the option to pay by two instalments with the first instalment due on the latter of 1 September or 30 days from the date of the invoice and the second instalment due on 15 February. Please note that paying by instalments will incur a facility charge of 4% of the total fee for the year with this instalment charge payable with the first instalment.'

Quick Reply