The Student Room Group

G4S 2012 Olympics Job

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2000
They have sent me email to look for my schdule this week. Just a quick question do we get email when schdule gets updated on ESS? Thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2001
Original post by BigSamBear
Me toooooo :smile: happy days! You picked up you're uniform/accreditation yet?

Me too! Just read my above ques plz

Reply 2002
Anyone know what the deal is with this free oyster? What are the conditions of using it because I was handed it with no instructions but a vague sheet of paper. Can I use it to go and pick up uniform in Stratford etc?
Hi guys,

I'm working at the Olympics through the Bridging The Gap scheme (G4S) and I have a role specific training tomorrow, however, I don't have my SIA lisence? Apparently, I am exempt from doing the SIA training, as I'm working for G4S through Bridging The Gap. I've called G4S several times, but to no avail. They seem to be useless as answering questions, and I need some definitive answers, and fast, as the training is tomorrow. I don't want to go all the way to Stratford for the role specific training, if I need an SIA license? Can anyone solidly confirm that this is not required, as I'm working through Bridging The Gap? Really need some info! If I miss tomorrow's training, there is some more the following week, and G4S have made a note about my enquiry! Anyone PLEASE shed some light on this frustrating situation. G4S never EVER mentioned that an SIA license is required to participate in the Olympics, and I've read that it's not needed for me to work?
Original post by jggb
Anyone know what the deal is with this free oyster? What are the conditions of using it because I was handed it with no instructions but a vague sheet of paper. Can I use it to go and pick up uniform in Stratford etc?

Starts today. Between zone 1-6 and they told me you can only use it when you are working.
Reply 2005
Original post by DejiBest
Oooo, most probably was them. Also for your uniform did they send you an e-mail or you decided to just go and collect it?

Susss...I went straight to Pitchford street. Yes it was true that I had a call from different department to collect uniform. I told them that I had call to collect my uniform urgently. They asked couple questions such as
1. Have you got accreditation?
2. Have you got call / invitation ?
3. Have you got your sia license?

I had accreditation with me. I told them that I was asked to collect uniform. My sia license details are sent to London for decision.

They asked when can you start working. I told them that I can work for them from next day.

I then forwarded to uniform measurement section. The gentleman too my measurement and sent to collection unit. They gave my uniform and asked me to go to collect time card. As I knew my payroll number, it was easy for them to to trace my details. Even you do not have

contract and payroll number..they will include details (I am not too sure)
Reply 2006
Okay everyone. I received a private phone call also though missed it. Other than that. I think the working shifts should start and i want to see how it is. If there is any ABUSIVE LANGUAGE with ANY OF MY MANAGERS AT G4S, JUST LIKE YESTERDAYS TRAINING. Then they are going to WISH they never knew my name or better yet before i leave i will be giving out anger management leaflets. One of my friends works there now and dam hell the managers are very abusive. As long as they are not in your way just say F*** OFF them all. She can't quit cos she needs the money. Still though i think i will be looking for other jobs just in case and see how this one is. There call center are terrible i seriously think they have all committed suicide due to the waiting numbers and the number of hanging up calls there is once you are number 2 on the list. I have never seen such bad organisation skills with a large company. You think they would be organised but sadly not. Now i could properly do better doing the organisation with g4s then them doing it themselves. Seriously now that would be a job i would love to do!! Other than that waiting game now. G4s i have never seen just a F***ED up large company!

P.s anyone who has a abusive manager atm with g4s use http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

Good luck! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2007
Original post by jggb

I am not too sure but I believe there are deals with LOCOG and TFL. You are required by procedures that you should use the FREE PUBLIC TRANSPORT only on work days. You again should be able to show your accreditation while on board on public transport. I believe that you can use that oyster to go to Stratford but I do not recommend you to use for travel purposes other than work schedule. You are through to your final stage and it would be silly to make unlawful use of the facilities. Being wise, don't use the card and don't post publicly if you used that. I am sure that you understood what I mean to say.
Reply 2008
Original post by tooosh
I've given them a few calls before, recently I haven't even been able to get through :s-smilie:

I think it is worth to keep trying. Practically, it is very hard to handle 25 thousand plus candidates and also getting through them is a tough task. But more importantly, we need job and we should act; not them. It shows your enthusiasm if you give them call / email them. Make a proper documentation when you have called and what happened. I am sure that these documentations and your seriousness adds the value on your motivation to work for 'life time achievement' and good MONEY.
Reply 2009
Original post by jggb

They probably won't do anything if you use it for out of work purposes, but it is very easy to track the journeys of an oyster card. You can take any oyster to a ticket office and get a receipt of the last ~10 journeys in seconds or if it's registered online (which I guess it would be) they can just track it there. It would be easy to see you're not using it on work days or to Stratford.

Original post by ybasnet
I think it is worth to keep trying. Practically, it is very hard to handle 25 thousand plus candidates and also getting through them is a tough task. But more importantly, we need job and we should act; not them. It shows your enthusiasm if you give them call / email them. Make a proper documentation when you have called and what happened. I am sure that these documentations and your seriousness adds the value on your motivation to work for 'life time achievement' and good MONEY.

Yeah I will keep trying. But they really have made a big mess of it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2010
Original post by BigSamBear
Me toooooo :smile: happy days! You picked up you're uniform/accreditation yet?

All I need is uniform, you?
Reply 2011
Original post by Jamielawrence1945
Hi guys,

I'm working at the Olympics through the Bridging The Gap scheme (G4S) and I have a role specific training tomorrow, however, I don't have my SIA lisence? Apparently, I am exempt from doing the SIA training, as I'm working for G4S through Bridging The Gap. I've called G4S several times, but to no avail. They seem to be useless as answering questions, and I need some definitive answers, and fast, as the training is tomorrow. I don't want to go all the way to Stratford for the role specific training, if I need an SIA license? Can anyone solidly confirm that this is not required, as I'm working through Bridging The Gap? Really need some info! If I miss tomorrow's training, there is some more the following week, and G4S have made a note about my enquiry! Anyone PLEASE shed some light on this frustrating situation. G4S never EVER mentioned that an SIA license is required to participate in the Olympics, and I've read that it's not needed for me to work?

No, role specific does not require an SiA license, you will be fine
Reply 2012
Hi guys,

I think you have partly answered your own quarries. What role are you in? As far as I know, people with accreditation are able to work for olympic as procedures of checking / background checks are exactly same as SIA license process. SIA website also acknowledged it. I think you focus on your role specific training and pass them.
Reply 2013
Ahh they don't even tell us what position we are in the queue anymore!
Yeah, I'm doing the Guard Team Member (Patrol, Perimeter & Asset Protection- BOH) training day tomorrow? Like I said, I did this all through Bridging The Gap? So surely I don't need an SIA license? I just don't want to go there tomorrow, to be turned away because I don't have this license? So confusing, G4S aren't being very cooperative! Any light, guys? Thanks for the replies so far! Appreciated :smile:
Reply 2015
Original post by yuna
Okay everyone. I received a private phone call also though missed it. Other than that. I think the working shifts should start and i want to see how it is. If there is any ABUSIVE LANGUAGE with ANY OF MY MANAGERS AT G4S, JUST LIKE YESTERDAYS TRAINING. Then they are going to WISH they never knew my name or better yet before i leave i will be giving out anger management leaflets. One of my friends works there now and dam hell the managers are very abusive. As long as they are not in your way just say F*** OFF them all. She can't quit cos she needs the money. Still though i think i will be looking for other jobs just in case and see how this one is. There call center are terrible i seriously think they have all committed suicide due to the waiting numbers and the number of hanging up calls there is once you are number 2 on the list. I have never seen such bad organisation skills with a large company. You think they would be organised but sadly not. Now i could properly do better doing the organisation with g4s then them doing it themselves. Seriously now that would be a job i would love to do!! Other than that waiting game now. G4s i have never seen just a F***ED up large company!

P.s anyone who has a abusive manager atm with g4s use http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

Good luck! :biggrin:

Humm..everyone should expect some level of abusive language in security industries. It is apparently true that job with Olympic is more customer relationship and less security. Most of the managers have their experience with police / army and these languages are common for them. Since everybody has to maintain the chain of command, we should make some habit to hear / experience them.

However, we all expect some level of diplomacy from the managers; if they are qualified managers. Communications plays a vital role in overall performance of team.
Reply 2016
Yeah, I'm doing the Guard Team Member (Patrol, Perimeter & Asset Protection- BOH) training day tomorrow? Like I said, I did this all through Bridging The Gap? So surely I don't need an SIA license? I just don't want to go there tomorrow, to be turned away because I don't have this license? So confusing, G4S aren't being very cooperative! Any light, guys? Thanks for the replies so far! Appreciated :smile:

Don't be discouraged. I have seen friends wearing LOCOG accreditation, showing off SIA badge and uniform. None of them have realised that they are breaching the code of conduct and LOCOG may revoke their accreditation. Ethically, we should NOT wear these badge / uniform, unless we are on duty station. If I were you, I would not really care!

Believe in yourself. Keep your spirit alive and work sensibly. You don't require these for role specific training. If you have your valid identify in training center, that is more than enough.

Good luck.
(edited 11 years ago)

Don't worry u don't need one since you're from btg. Same as me.
Reply 2018
Original post by gibsy92
Please, is there anyone out there still in screening? I feel like the only one!

My application says 'sent to screening'. been like that since early feb. tried calling about it 10min ago and she just hung up on me. :/
Original post by mattstar
My application says 'sent to screening'. been like that since early feb. tried calling about it 10min ago and she just hung up on me. :/

Have you had any sort of training yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending