The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2013 hopefuls! (again, early...)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katieza
ANYONE:-
1)When you say 'week' is it a full 7 days 9-5 job or a few days within that week?
2)Also, when do you people find the time for say '3/4 weeks worth of a work placement'?
3) Is it better to have a few days at each placement but have a wide variety or is it better to have the few essential placements but over a few years/several months?
Katie

1. Generally speaking it is taken to be the working week of that placement - so their normal days and hours. Have a look at this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1687208

2. Holidays. Also it doesn't have to be consecutive weeks (so 3 weeks at a vets could have been a week in the easter holidays last year, a week this year, a week in the summer...etc). Some people take time off college/school to get placements that they are struggling to fit in otherwise.

3. There are the basics that you need to aim for - vets, farms (dairy and sheep) and horses. Then preferably smallies (dogs/cats/mixed), extra farm stuff is good, zoos/labs/wildlife and so on are nice extras, but no way essential. Make sure you get the min stated for the unis you are applying for (most people aim for liverpools min, 4 weeks vet and 6 weeks other). I would say you need longer times at the essential places - then if you do other extras shorter times are ok - a day at a vet lab, or a weekend at a zoo etc.
Reply 61
Hi, i'm hoping to apply to graduate entry VetMed in 2013.
You all have me worrying about my work experience now :s-smilie:

I currently have:
2 years and 6 months working in a Large & Small animal practice (at least 3 days a week)
1 day a week for 2 years in my old college's animal department (Exotics, Rodents, companion and large animal)
8 weeks in a Zoo.
1 week at a rescue centre

Experiences places I have available to me (When I get time off lol):
2 weeks of lambing for next year
Calving
Dog training facility (Cadaver dogs, drugs dogs, explosives dogs etc.) - Would this also count as kennel experience?
Stables
Kennels/Cattery
Original post by p3bbl3z
Hi, i'm hoping to apply to graduate entry VetMed in 2013.
You all have me worrying about my work experience now :s-smilie:

I currently have:
2 years and 6 months working in a Large & Small animal practice (at least 3 days a week)
1 day a week for 2 years in my old college's animal department (Exotics, Rodents, companion and large animal)
8 weeks in a Zoo.
1 week at a rescue centre

Experiences places I have available to me (When I get time off lol):
2 weeks of lambing for next year
Calving
Dog training facility (Cadaver dogs, drugs dogs, explosives dogs etc.) - Would this also count as kennel experience?
Stables
Kennels/Cattery

What's your degree in? Where are you looking at applying to? The places with higher grad fees tend to be 'easier' to get into than Nottm, RVC and Cambridge for grads. So hoping to get into one of the lower fee unis - make sure you focus on their expectations. If you haven't already completed your degree make sure you get a 2:1 or first - don't let getting work experience risk your degree, no amount of work experience will make up for your grades falling!

Then for RVC and Cambridge - you need to try your best with regards to the BMAT. I know RVC use it a fair amount, as it helps give them an idea of your ability, since your degree will be just a narrow area.

Work experience basics are expected to be the same as school leavers, but the unis do seem to try and take into account the difficulty in balancing a degree, adult life/jobs etc etc with getting work experience placements. So don't worry too much about comparing yourself to people on here!

You are pretty well sorted for vet placements - I would say definately do the lambing placement. Horses are also a pretty staple placement to do, as is dairy. Other than that I wouldn't worry *too* much about the other things, unless you have time and want to do them, but don't worry about it at the expense of your degree. If you end up on one of the accerlerated 4 yr grad courses, most will let you backcount some placements as well, so chances are you will be able to get some of them signed off for vet school placements.

If you've got any questions, I can try and help. I'm currently in my first year of the graduate programme at the RVC, all being well exam results wise, will be entering the 3rd year of the BVetMed course next year.
Reply 63
Original post by kookabura
What's your degree in? Where are you looking at applying to? The places with higher grad fees tend to be 'easier' to get into than Nottm, RVC and Cambridge for grads. So hoping to get into one of the lower fee unis - make sure you focus on their expectations. If you haven't already completed your degree make sure you get a 2:1 or first - don't let getting work experience risk your degree, no amount of work experience will make up for your grades falling!

Then for RVC and Cambridge - you need to try your best with regards to the BMAT. I know RVC use it a fair amount, as it helps give them an idea of your ability, since your degree will be just a narrow area.

Work experience basics are expected to be the same as school leavers, but the unis do seem to try and take into account the difficulty in balancing a degree, adult life/jobs etc etc with getting work experience placements. So don't worry too much about comparing yourself to people on here!

You are pretty well sorted for vet placements - I would say definately do the lambing placement. Horses are also a pretty staple placement to do, as is dairy. Other than that I wouldn't worry *too* much about the other things, unless you have time and want to do them, but don't worry about it at the expense of your degree. If you end up on one of the accerlerated 4 yr grad courses, most will let you backcount some placements as well, so chances are you will be able to get some of them signed off for vet school placements.

If you've got any questions, I can try and help. I'm currently in my first year of the graduate programme at the RVC, all being well exam results wise, will be entering the 3rd year of the BVetMed course next year.

I've just finished my first year of a Zoology degree, and yes i'm aiming for a 1st or 2:1.
I know lambing is a must, so i'll focus on that and a couple of week in a stables.
I see the trained dog's where I work (vets), so would love to go and see them being trained, so i'll probably go and do that as a treat to myself lol.

Can you think of anything to "boost" my application? Other than the required work experience and grades.
Do references make any difference to your application?
What GCSE grades should we be getting??
Reply 65
Original post by RennaeGregory
What GCSE grades should we be getting??

realistically As and A*s with a few Bs i would guess, maybe the odd C i have no idea! why, what are you predicted?
Original post by Leigh303
realistically As and A*s with a few Bs i would guess, maybe the odd C i have no idea! why, what are you predicted?

Maths-A*
Geography-a*
Double Sci- a*
PE-A
English lit-b
english land-b
spanish-c
i think that is not good enough....
i might get an a in one of the english ones... if that helps...
Reply 68
Maths-A*
Geography-a*
Double Sci- a*
PE-A
English lit-b
english land-b
spanish-c
i think that is not good enough....

well to be honest you have A*s in science which is the most important, and good grades in maths and english - i think most unis want C+ in those so that's fine, in theory.

Im predicted 11 A*s (not going to happen) + A in FSMQ (which i will only get if they drop the boundaries considerably) though so someone else might be able to help more!

A levels will be FAR more important though. what are your choices? im doing maths bio chem, and a language for AS.
well to be honest you have A*s in science which is the most important, and good grades in maths and english - i think most unis want C+ in those so that's fine, in theory.

Im predicted 11 A*s (not going to happen) + A in FSMQ (which i will only get if they drop the boundaries considerably) though so someone else might be able to help more!

A levels will be FAR more important though. what are your choices? im doing maths bio chem, and a language for AS.

I am doing maths (stat), bio, chem and psychology.... I just feel like they will take 1 look at my gcses then just decline my admission.. :'( WOW 11 A*s, i hope you get them!!! Where do you want to go?? (like which uni loool )
Reply 70
I am doing maths (stat), bio, chem and psychology.... I just feel like they will take 1 look at my gcses then just decline my admission.. :'( WOW 11 A*s, i hope you get them!!! Where do you want to go?? (like which uni loool )

haha thanks doubt it though tbh, maybe got a couple of As in there. I really dont think they would decline you immediately just because of your GCSEs, especially if you get good AS grades and plenty of work experience.

I reeealllly want to go to Bristol, but after that choices will probably be RVC, liv, notts. My teachers wanted me to apply for cambridge but i don't know, for some reason my family (none of whom have stayed in school after 16!) don't want me to :s-smilie:
Reply 71
haha thanks doubt it though tbh, maybe got a couple of As in there. I really dont think they would decline you immediately just because of your GCSEs, especially if you get good AS grades and plenty of work experience.

I reeealllly want to go to Bristol, but after that choices will probably be RVC, liv, notts. My teachers wanted me to apply for cambridge but i don't know, for some reason my family (none of whom have stayed in school after 16!) don't want me to :s-smilie:

Ditto the GCSE thing, don't think they'd straight refuse you because of your GCSEs, AS grades, predicted, work experience and PS are much more important :smile:

And if you want to go to Cambridge, go for it! It's a 6 year course [although I'm sure you know that], so maybe your family are worried about fees and stuff. At the end of the day it's your university course and your life, obviously you should take into account their opinions, but don't make it your deciding factor. You can achieve anything you want to if you try hard enough :smile:
Reply 72

GCSE results really aren't the be all and end all! They certainly wouldn't turn you away solely because of your GCSE results. Science, Maths and English are the most important ones to do well in, so if you've done horrendously in any of those you can always re-sit in sixth form! As long as you think you'll be able to cope with the A levels you've chosen and get at least AAB, don't worry about GCSEs too much :smile:
I want to be a vet so frikkin bad !
I totally messed up my alevels due to a bad relationship ( stupid of me i know )
I got onto an animal bio course ( it is a degree , not stupid animal management crap ):smile: , im going into level 2 this year.
After this course im planning on applying to vet sci in 2013 ( maybe 2014 ) , much easier to get onto once you already have a degree, plus you can drop modules you have already done apparently.

So im all set academically.

I already have the previous work experience :

One week , RSPCA
One week , small animal care unit at a college
One day a week for ten months , at an animal sanctuary ( Farm based )
And i also have a "real" job at the kennels with the local council

Im looking for work experience in a vet practice NOW ! , i have tried various times to get this experience , through letters , emails and contacts. BUT NO LUCK SO FAR !

Any helpful hints and tips welcome please !!!!!!!!!! ......... glad to see so many younger people way ahead of the game btw , wish you all the best of luck :biggrin: !
Original post by Jordanaimee
I want to be a vet so frikkin bad !
I totally messed up my alevels due to a bad relationship ( stupid of me i know )
I got onto an animal bio course ( it is a degree , not stupid animal management crap ):smile: , im going into level 2 this year.
After this course im planning on applying to vet sci in 2013 ( maybe 2014 ) , much easier to get onto once you already have a degree, plus you can drop modules you have already done apparently.

So im all set academically.

I already have the previous work experience :

One week , RSPCA
One week , small animal care unit at a college
One day a week for ten months , at an animal sanctuary ( Farm based )
And i also have a "real" job at the kennels with the local council

Im looking for work experience in a vet practice NOW ! , i have tried various times to get this experience , through letters , emails and contacts. BUT NO LUCK SO FAR !

Any helpful hints and tips welcome please !!!!!!!!!! ......... glad to see so many younger people way ahead of the game btw , wish you all the best of luck :biggrin: !

Hey, its actually harder to get in with a degree, and the fees are in the region of £20,000 Im afraid.
Reply 75
^All I can really say is phone and actually visit them to ask.
Sometimes speaking to them where you can get a straight response is quicker and easier. Plus some people just don't bother with emails/letters and assume that if you are really motivated you'll give them a ring and follow it up, separates out the 'weeds' so to speak.

Try everywhere, essentially you need the same amount of work experience as an undergrad. would need, so keep at it!
Omg, i'm applying this year and you guys have more than me 0.o I've even started my personal statement and now you've got me in a right panic lol!

Here's mine:

3 months once a week at a SA vets.
1 year every Wednesday at a different SA vets
1 week LA/equine vets
1 week stables
1 week dairy farm
17 days animal sanctuary
2 days a week over the 6 weeks holiday at a mixed animal farm. (this one was great for my PS because I got to help out with animal therapy with disabled people)

I have a day at an abbattoir booked.
I'm visiting my brother in Adelaide for 5 weeks this summer and i'm hoping to get some exotic work in a wildlife place in a zoo.
I have a week at a pig farm booked.

I desperately need lambing, but I guess i'll just have to make sure I have it booked so it still counts in my personal statement :s-smilie:

Do you guys think this sounds ok? Do you think I should do some more horse work or not? I really regret coming on this thread haha!

Work experience is great though isn't it? I can remember the first time I vaccinated something- made my week lol. The large animal vets was my favourite though; helping with calving was like the best thing ever. Plus I got to see a caesarrian and I was like :biggrin:
Reply 77
Original post by battycatlady
I can remember the first time I vaccinated something- made my week lol.

The first thing I vaccinated was my ex-boyfriend's kitten....it's a pretty mental thing and spazzed out on me a bit....that didn't make my week at all :tongue:
Original post by battycatlady
Omg, i'm applying this year and you guys have more than me 0.o I've even started my personal statement and now you've got me in a right panic lol!

Here's mine:

3 months once a week at a SA vets.
1 year every Wednesday at a different SA vets
1 week LA/equine vets
1 week stables
1 week dairy farm
17 days animal sanctuary
2 days a week over the 6 weeks holiday at a mixed animal farm. (this one was great for my PS because I got to help out with animal therapy with disabled people)

I have a day at an abbattoir booked.
I'm visiting my brother in Adelaide for 5 weeks this summer and i'm hoping to get some exotic work in a wildlife place in a zoo.
I have a week at a pig farm booked.

I desperately need lambing, but I guess i'll just have to make sure I have it booked so it still counts in my personal statement :s-smilie:

Do you guys think this sounds ok? Do you think I should do some more horse work or not? I really regret coming on this thread haha!

Work experience is great though isn't it? I can remember the first time I vaccinated something- made my week lol. The large animal vets was my favourite though; helping with calving was like the best thing ever. Plus I got to see a caesarrian and I was like :biggrin:

That sounds fine for work experience, maybe get some solid kennels/cattery work and your experience is sorted :smile:.
Rightio :')
I just seems like everyone has so much more than me though.
Although I should probably be worrying about grades more. Maths core 2 was such an EPIC FAIL :k I came out wanting to die. Curse Liverpool for wanting an extra b at AS level :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending