The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Michael Gove should donate his salary to her majesty.

After all, he is an ardent monarchist.

What a nutter.
Reply 2
*come into thread*
*see link to The Guardian*
*leave thread*
Christ, what an idiot; has he looked at the economy (which is likely projected to slip back into recession this year) and/or our budget deficit? I'm sure the queen can do without a personalised yacht, particularly in these times no less (i.e. we're all in it together etc) :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Guz2
*come into thread*
*leave thread*

The letter's authenticity has been confirmed by his staff; so either way, Gove has suggested, in these times no less, that a £60m boat be payed for and be given to the queen. Thus, be it a Guardian link or not (and thus whatever bias you attach to it), it is fact.
Reply 5
Oh please. This is a drop in the ocean compared to the Olympics or the benifits bill. The Diamond Jubilee isn't something that happens everyday, when was the last one?
Original post by Guz2
*come into thread*
*leave thread*

*come back to thread to see why I have quoted you*
Reply 7
Original post by Guz2
*come into thread*
*leave thread*

At least it's not a Daily Mail link! :tongue:
Original post by Steevee
Oh please. This is a drop in the ocean compared to the Olympics or the benifits bill. The Diamond Jubilee isn't something that happens everyday, when was the last one?

Then why not take this attitude towards healthcare, policing or (for Gove's sake) education.

Don't the royal family receive any money themselves?
Reply 9
So the left are 'loony' for wanting to give money for people to survive but wanting to spend billions to buy a rich old woman a yacht is perfectly normal.:s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by rockitrosie
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jan/15/queen-royal-yacht-diamond-jubilee-gove?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038

So it's all very good saying "oh there's tough times, we can't afford anything anymore, yadadadada" yet they can afford a goddamn boat for the Queen?

I get it's the Diamond Jubilee and all, but if we're all in this together than surely she can accept something a little less...costly, given the difficult times and all?

Gove probably fancies her.
Original post by Steevee

So b/c we have a supposedly high cost for the Olympics (though I have yet to see any figure of cost which trumps the £10bn contribution it will add to the UK economy) and a benefits bill (which is you know, for the most part, used to help the poor in this country), we should just be fine with throwing even more money we don't have towards a completely unnecessary £60m yacht?

Sound logic :rolleyes:
Original post by Steevee
The Diamond Jubilee isn't something that happens everyday, when was the last one?

Reply 13
Original post by That Bearded Man
Then why not take this attitude towards healthcare, policing or (for Gove's sake) education.

Don't the royal family receive any money themselves?

Sorry?

Original post by MirandaPanda
So b/c we have a supposedly high cost for the Olympics (though I have yet to see any figure of cost which trumps the £10bn contribution it will add to the UK economy) and a benefits bill (which is you know, for the most part, used to help the poor in this country), we should just be fine with throwing even more money we don't have towards a completely unnecessary £60m yacht?

Sound logic :rolleyes:

Let's see, the last large celebration to do with the Royal Family. Oh, the Royal Wedding. Approval rating? Sky high. Added yet another major tourist attraction to the UK. The Royal Family are an institution, and one we should be happy to throw a bit of cash at. This will undoubtabley be a huge toursit attraction, the Diamond Jubilee will be a boost for the economy and a mark of National Pride.

60 Million, a single expense, and a drop in the Ocean. If these happened every year, then you might have a point, but they do not.
Reply 14
The Queen is the sovereign leader of the UK and she owns the National Treasury and the Bank of England. It's all her money and you or anyone cannot dictate to her what she does with it.
I'm not supporting buying the Queen a yacht but as for the £60m (based on an estimate from 1997 so I guess it'll be more now) he also suggested that they take private donations if they can't afford it. I've no objection to people choosing to make donations to a yacht for anyone if they choose to.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Gove talks and talks. He's an idiot, you can't take him seriously.
Reply 17
Why does she deserve a yacht? Congratulations queenie, youve lived long enough since you were born into this hereditary system, where whatever you did doesnt really matter youll still rule, for it to be called a diamond jubilee.
Reply 18
My favourite part, we should buy the yacht because of "the greater achievement that the diamond anniversary represents" because y'know she works so hard.

The taxpayer should fork out 60 mil yachts for everyone who lives to 85, after all it is a massive achievement.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
The Royal Family make me sick. They are the most filthy, degenerate people you can imagine. All they do is take our money so they can live in their palaces and all that. Disgusting.

Latest