The Student Room Group

5 months gym but small gains. Why?

I have been going to the gym 3 times a week with this routine -

Tues - Back + Biceps

Thurs - Chest + Triceps

Sat - Shoulders + Legs

With 3 exercises and 3 sets on each muscle. I have been lifting hard(ish) always getting doms the next morning. However I have only noticed little to no gains. I have to admit my diet has been a little off. The past 2 months I have only started having 3 protein shakes a day with 1-2 meals. Here's current eating schedule -

Morning - Oats + 2 eggs + orange juice
Pre-workout - Protein shake (1 scoop)
Post - Protein shake (1 scoop)
Dinner - Usually white rice and chicken/lamb curry (homemade)
Evening - Protein shake (1 scoop)
Evening snack - Cheese toast/crisps/sandwich/chocolate (bit naughty!)

Can anyone give me some pointers in how I can start seeing more gains?

Scroll to see replies

How much stronger have you gotten?

You're also not eating much food, although you do acknowledge that your diet has been a little off. But unfortunately the best routine and strength gains in the world can't make your grow if you eat like a supermodel.
Reply 2
How small is "small"?

The general consensus is that even newbies can only hope to gain 0.5 - 1.5 lbs a week.
Reply 3
You need to keep shocking your muscles into growth, change the routine every other week. If you want to gain mass your calorie expenditure needs to be less than your intake so up the cals. I'd also advise swapping one of those shakes to an actual meal maybe chicken breast and brown rice. If you want to snack have it after you've trained the sugars will be effective then, late at night you don't have time to burn them off an they'll store as fat.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
1) As a noob you'd benefit more from a full body routine than a split.
2) Look up Starting Strength.
3) Your diet is off for putting on muscle. Try and get more protein from food which will help with getting more calories, and you need way more calories! Ideally as much as possible from unsaturates and complex carbs. Cut the white rice, eat brown rice/pasta/bread, quinoa etc. Save the simple carbs and sugars for pre and post-workout. Your breakfast is really the only meal I'd call good. With all that protein but no energy to use it, it'll just go to waste. You may want to consider GOMAD (gallon of milk a day). I'm on half GOMAD due to lactose sensitivity and it's really good.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
If you're not gaining you've not ate enough. Eat more food instead of depending on powder

Shocking your muscles is BS. Go do starting strength or stronglifts if you are a noob because it'll work your whole body as effectively as possible.
Original post by MancBoy

Tues - Back + Biceps

Thurs - Chest + Triceps

Sat - Shoulders + Legs

With 3 exercises and 3 sets on each muscle. I have been lifting hard(ish) always getting doms the next morning. However I have only noticed little to no gains. I have to admit my diet has been a little off. The past 2 months I have only started having 3 protein shakes a day with 1-2 meals. Here's current eating schedule -

Don't listen to the trolls that tell you to do SS

ss.jpg

100301_front.jpg

The second picture is particulalry relevent. He was tried personally by Rippletoe and he looks like crap.

If you want to do powerlifting, then do SS if not do something else. Hodgetwins are a good source of knowledge, should watch there videos. But, don't listen to these trolls.
Reply 7
Original post by MancBoy

Real food you eat per day:

Oats + 2 eggs
Rice and curry
cheese on toast

1500 calories max.

The recommended daily intake is 2500.

HOW ON EARTH DO YOU EXPECT TO PACK ON WEIGHT BY EATING **** ALL!

People like you just ...

:facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2:
Original post by MancBoy

Tues - Back + Biceps

Thurs - Chest + Triceps

Sat - Shoulders + Legs

So you're going from breakfast to dinner (about 10-12 hours) with just a couple of protein shakes?
Reply 9
For all the pictures of someone whose not done great on SS there's plenty who have done well. If you want to look into the results others have had then by all means do. But don't go on a few pictures posted by someone who has obviously made up their mind and is illustrating their point to best effect

Good bodybuilding routines very often contain elements of powerlifting. Nobody who knows what they are talking about will recommend a powerlifting plan a to bodybuilder who isn't a noob. But for noobs it get a good base to work from.
Reply 10
Original post by Simplicity

ss.jpg

100301_front.jpg

The second picture is particulalry relevent. He was tried personally by Rippletoe and he looks like crap.

If you want to do powerlifting, then do SS if not do something else. Hodgetwins are a good source of knowledge, should watch there videos. But, don't listen to these trolls.

Most people won't put on anywhere near as much bodyfat as he did. His numbers shot up massively which is the point of SS. It wouldn't take him that long to cut from that, not after the dedication he needed to get there. After cutting he'll have one of the best bodies given the amount of time he'll have worked out.

ss.jpg

100301_front.jpg

I'd personally say to not listen to people such as yourself who are unfortunately not intelligent enough to understand that looks are largely a function of diet and genetics and that Zach himself doesn't care how he looks.
Original post by BKS
For all the pictures of someone whose not done great on SS there's plenty who have done well. If you want to look into the results others have had then by all means do. But don't go on a few pictures posted by someone who has obviously made up their mind and is illustrating their point to best effect

Good bodybuilding routines very often contain elements of powerlifting. Nobody who knows what they are talking about will recommend a powerlifting plan a to bodybuilder who isn't a noob. But for noobs it get a good base to work from.

I haven't seen one decent pic of someone who done SS. I used to go on /fit/ a lot and they just say do SS every thread. Yet nobody has posted a decent looking body of someone who done SS.

Worst is that plenty of people who they don't even do SS. Tinytrip, Hodgetwins, Zyzz and Greg Plitts didn't do SS.

OP problem is he is eating less than a girl. Hence, why he can't put on muscle.
Original post by tooosh
Most people won't put on anywhere near as much bodyfat as he did. His numbers shot up massively which is the point of SS. It wouldn't take him that long to cut from that, not after the dedication he needed to get there. After cutting he'll have one of the best bodies given the amount of time he'll have worked out.

He did SS like rippletoe told him to. He got fat as crap. He looks awful. Yet you guys are telling him to do the same thing.

You SS idiots are funny. Anyway, it's sad you wasted six months on SS, but please don't troll others.

Everyone who does SS ends up looking like crap. Hence, why nobody has posted there results.

Smack
I'd personally say to not listen to people such as yourself who are unfortunately not intelligent enough to understand that looks are largely a function of diet and genetics and that Zach himself doesn't care how he looks.

Zach has good genetics. Certainly, look at his fat distribution. Normally the guy would have fat on his face and around his tummy but Zach fat is distributed evenly around his body.

Also to do SS you need to have the diet of Zach.
(edited 12 years ago)
You pretty much need to double your food intake. 1-2 meals a day and protein shakes, what did you expect? Seriously. I have 2 meals within a few hours of getting up for christs sake.
Zach has good genetics. Certainly, look at his fat distribution. Normally the guy would have fat on his face and around his tummy but Zach fat is distributed evenly around his body.

Also to do SS you need to have the diet of Zach.

Look, you're already known as the moron of the maths forum, do you want to also be known as the fool of the fitness forum?
Reply 16
From your diet I would say you definately need to eat more.
From a lifting point of view my guess is you need to do more big compound lifts? Are you doing mainly isolation moves?

Post more details on your routine? What lifts do you do for each muscle group? We might be able to help you more if we know more.
Reply 17
A lot of things come into play. Firstly you need to know your body type and how different things effect it (ectomorph, mesomorph and endomorph).
What many people think is the main thing to getting muscular, vasuclar etc is just smashing the gym constantly but I'd personally argue that diet is as important if not more. 6 high protein meals a day i.e eggs, fish, red meat are good.
Rep range for most exercises should be 6-12, therefore the weight you are lifting, you must not be able to lift it more than 12 times, and if you can, go heavier. With legs, to be safe go 15-25 reps in my personal opinion. Compound exerecise are also great mass builders for example, dumbell bench, incline bench, bent over rows.
Another factor which you havent probably considered and which most people overlook is that you are probably looking at yourself every day in the mirror. When you do this, gains are little to none of being seen. Take photos, hit the gym and eat right for a few months, take a few more photos, then compare. If you havent already, go to http://www.youtube.com/user/twinmuscleworkout
These twins are natural bodybuilders, know what theyre talking about, and are actually hilarious.
Also,dont be expecting to see huge gains, 5 months isnt a lot of time in the lifting world.
Hope this helped.
Reply 18
x

Original post by BKS

Original post by tooosh

As ill-informed as he seems to be - he's got a point about Starting Strength. If you follow the nutrition advice in the back of the book (GOMAD) then you will gain alot of fat. The gallon of milk on top of 2-3 other solid meals is overkill.

I'm 4 months into SS and my bodyfat percentage is 22-25%. The numbers are shooting up and I feel like they will be no stalls on squat, deadlift or bench press this week, but I look like ****. It's frustrating because carrying this much fat just makes you look plain unhealthy, and the comfort of squatting more than you ever have before is little comfort when you see your reflection. However, the main thing for me is the fact that I KNOW how to cut and I KNOW that I could lose the fat if I wanted to - I wouldn't have much of an issue with dieting down or doing cardio - but persisting to bulk whilst looking like **** is really difficult.

I can only hope that being able to lift so much on the compound lifts will hold me in better stead for any routine I do after a cut. I'm guessing someone who can bench 200lbs is more equipped to build a bigger chest than someone who can bench 150lbs.

ss.jpg

100301_front.jpg

Dumbest post ever. You think SS or SL makes people fat? The way you eat makes you fat. Here's someone else who only does compound lifts.

Funny how an entire argument changes when you select what pictures you use.

It is widely known that a strength training routine foucsing on compound lifts is perfect for beginners. You will build the most strength, and if you need to, burn way more fat than you would doing a 3 day split with 10kg dumbells.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest