The Student Room Group

Got an e...:( need a b! Advice?!?!!

Hello everyone, please give me some advice!

I got E in my unit 4 chemistry today!.... so annoyed because i really need a B/C! considering i got a D last year i really need at least an A in this unit!
Also, how do you get back your papers?
Hi got the following raw mark results:
Unit 1- 70 (b) i think!
unit 2- 37 (u)*
unit 3-46 (e).. terrible!

I need an overall C (would love to get a B!) What ums marks and other things do i need to get a C grade baring in mind im resitting Unit 2!
Help?!
I will appreciate it alot for feedback!
Hope to hear soon!
Honey:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
hey i did AS and got 300/300..i think there are things they always stick on the exam. just do some past papers..youll get used to the format. okay, i mean, do all the past papers as well as the sample assessment materials. its pretty much standard..unlike the system in hong kong. ugh. im doing that system and registering for GCE as a private candidate..i like GCE more. much more straightforward.
yep.

for unit 1 its good to memorize how to explain these things:

-factors affecting first ionization energy & reasons for trends across periods/down groups
-factors affecting extent of covalency in lattices
-factors affecting strength of metallic bond & trends across periods
-factors affecting lattice energy
-whats happening with successive ionization energies
-principle of mass spectrometer
-difference between risk & hazard, and also between precision & accuracy
-what is happening in born-haber cycles
-all the reactions of organic compounds

and of course, dont forget to swallow down how the mechanisms are drawn..and definitely the hess cycles. hess cycles are bound to come up..and mechanisms 80% of the time.

as for unit 2 you should learn to explain these:

-shape of molecules and ions (like the electron pairs maximize separation to minimize repulsion, blah blah blah)
-if one molecule is polar (like CCl4: it has polar bonds but as it is completely symmetrical, the molecule is non-polar overall)
-why something is a redox reaction (the oxidation numbers change) or why something isnt (no change in redox numbers)
-why sth is a disproportionation reaction (same species is oxidized and reduced simultaneously, then get on to describe the change in oxidation numbers)
-what happens to an equilibrium system

ok then also learn the reactions of group 2 and group 7 stuff. then also rmb the reaction mechanisms in unit 2..then memorize what are carbon footprint and carbon neutral. as well as the effects of various fuels/sprays/chemicals...etc on the atmosphere.

hope that helped (: if you need help, just find me :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by kitriviolet
hey i did AS and got 300/300..i think there are things they always stick on the exam. just do some past papers..youll get used to the format. okay, i mean, do all the past papers as well as the sample assessment materials. its pretty much standard..unlike the system in hong kong. ugh. im doing that system and registering for GCE as a private candidate..i like GCE more. much more straightforward.
yep.

-factors affecting first ionization energy & reasons for trends across periods/down groups

and of course, dont forget to swallow down how the mechanisms are drawn..and definitely the hess cycles. hess cycles are bound to come up..and mechanisms 80% of the time.

-shape of molecules and ions (like the electron pairs maximize separation to minimize repulsion, blah blah blah)
-if one molecule is polar (like CCl4: it has polar bonds but as it is completely symmetrical, the molecule is non-polar overall)
-why something is a redox reaction (the oxidation numbers change) or why something isnt (no change in redox numbers)
-why sth is a disproportionation reaction (same species is oxidized and reduced simultaneously, then get on to describe the change in oxidation numbers)

ok then also learn the reactions of group 2 and group 7 stuff. then also rmb the reaction mechanisms in unit 2..then memorize what are carbon footprint and carbon neutral. as well as the effects of various fuels/sprays/chemicals...etc on the atmosphere.

you should quote OP otherwise they probably won't get your response!
Reply 3
right im sorry thanks for reminding. :P

Original post by canŵio
you should quote OP otherwise they probably won't get your response!
Reply 4
hey umm as suggested i should have quoted you. so yea, look at what i wrote up there :smile:

Original post by Honey:)
Hello everyone, please give me some advice!

I got E in my unit 4 chemistry today!.... so annoyed because i really need a B/C! considering i got a D last year i really need at least an A in this unit!
Also, how do you get back your papers?
Hi got the following raw mark results:
Unit 1- 70 (b) i think!
unit 2- 37 (u)*
unit 3-46 (e).. terrible!

I need an overall C (would love to get a B!) What ums marks and other things do i need to get a C grade baring in mind im resitting Unit 2!
Help?!
I will appreciate it alot for feedback!
Hope to hear soon!
Honey:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by kitriviolet
yep.

HEY!:smile:

thanks so much for all the help! it feels good to have alot of support! and guess what, ive been working really really hard in chemistry now! i think ive only just found out where ive been going wrong for a year.. exam practise! ive just done loads and loads of papers and after each one my grades have changed lots. the only part i seem to not improve on is the multiple choice section... any suggestions? so yeah really happy. its just a gamble now though because ive only got one chance... nervous! and WOOOW 100 percent ums! thats genius id love that! for my coursework i got 34/40.. is that okay??
thanks! xxxx
Reply 6
yep, you might also want to try out the exercises at the back of your revision guides :biggrin: ive been doing a lot of them..multiple choice? umm..lemme introduce myself. im from hong kong and our school does the DSE syllabus. i register for GCE as a private candidate..which is like, bleh :s-smilie: we have lots of multiple choice workbooks available on the market..sadly i dont think you guys do :frown:

i guess i can send you some compressed files containing multiple choice questions from the old A level syllabus hong kong used to have? theyre by topic, so you can choose the relevant ones..our old syllabus was rather tough, if you can do those then you will be able to tackle the GCE ones pretty nicely!

and have you also tried the sample question paper from edexcel? you should! hahah :smile:

34/40 is great, i guess you can go check the grade boundaries..in the past, that wouldve been an A or B. well but id advise you to pull up the marks using your scores on the written ones..i do the international alternative and i think practicals are freaky. we did a lot of them for our local syllabus and we get really low markss. :frown:

good luck!

Original post by Honey:)
HEY!:smile:

thanks so much for all the help! it feels good to have alot of support! and guess what, ive been working really really hard in chemistry now! i think ive only just found out where ive been going wrong for a year.. exam practise! ive just done loads and loads of papers and after each one my grades have changed lots. the only part i seem to not improve on is the multiple choice section... any suggestions? so yeah really happy. its just a gamble now though because ive only got one chance... nervous! and WOOOW 100 percent ums! thats genius id love that! for my coursework i got 34/40.. is that okay??
thanks! xxxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending