The Student Room Group

University of Bristol's reputation in the UK and amongst employers?

Choosing between a well-regarded US school (Rice) or Bristol for a Master's. Any input is greatly appreciated
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Where do you plan on working and what do you plan on doing?
Reply 2
Original post by poprocks1
Choosing between a well-regarded US school (Rice) or Bristol for a Master's. Any input is greatly appreciated

Well, likewise.
Reply 3
i'd be doing a MRes in natural hazards -- so earth science/geology
Reply 4
urban. cos of banksy and the vast ethnic diversity and cos its a city
historic. cos of posh buildings in clifton like the suspension bridge
a bit posh in places. again cos of rich places like clifton and the fact bristol is in the south west region, which is the posh region
fun. cos of festivals like harbourside and the hot air balloon thing
academic. cos of the big schools and the university
media. cos of bbc offices there and cos shows like skins are filmed there

also employers dont care about location!
Reply 5
oh -- haha, i meant the university, my bad. but thank you
Reply 6
i'd be doing a MRes in natural hazards -- so earth science/geology

Where do you see yourself working, USA or England?

(and it has been said on many occasions that Bristol has a particularly good reputation with employers - good if you want to work in the UK. In the states, however, Rice's reputation is also particularly good - its often referred to as the ivy league of the south- soooo it just depends on where you wanna be really)
Reply 7
I'm not sure yet.. I think I'd like to do a PhD before entering the workforce -- which I'd be open to doing in the US or the UK. Ultimately, I'd like to end up in the US.

How does the UK perceive Bristol -- is it like Rice is to the US as Bristol is to the UK??
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Other considerations are... Bristol is one year, Rice is two -- The Bristol program is more oriented to research, whereas Rice is more geared to practical application.
Reply 9
I'm not sure yet.. I think I'd like to do a PhD before entering the workforce -- which I'd be open to doing in the US or the UK. Ultimately, I'd like to end up in the US.

How does the UK perceive Bristol -- is it like Rice is to the US as Bristol is to the UK??

Well if you study in Bristol, with that different angle to your degree, you'll stand out from the crowd a bit more as you'll bring something new to the table with your research skills when you come to do your PhD.

Exactly that
Reply 10
Thanks Naomiimoan, thats definitely a great way to look at it... :colone:
Reply 11
Original post by Naomiimoan
Well if you study in Bristol, with that different angle to your degree, you'll stand out from the crowd a bit more as you'll bring something new to the table with your research skills when you come to do your PhD.

Exactly that

Do you go there?
Reply 12
Go for Rice if you can afford it.

Even if Rice postgrad education isn't really very well-regarded in the US compared to its undergrad education, the experience of attending a top American school for 2 years, is, in itself, educational. Graduating from Rice though would not assure you of a job in the US. Though it may give you a leg up as you are already there, compared to starting the whole application process for a job in America from the UK.
Original post by jfranks
urban. cos of banksy and the vast ethnic diversity and cos its a city
historic. cos of posh buildings in clifton like the suspension bridge
a bit posh in places. again cos of rich places like clifton and the fact bristol is in the south west region, which is the posh region
fun. cos of festivals like harbourside and the hot air balloon thing
academic. cos of the big schools and the university
media. cos of bbc offices there and cos shows like skins are filmed there

also employers dont care about location!

You've missed the point slightly, OP wants to know whether Bristol Uni is viewed well by employers, not how people in the UK imagine the city. Also hate it when people equate posh with rich...
Reply 14
Original post by jfranks
my mum and 2 of my 3 sisters have attended that university and they have all found well paid jobs.
obviously its not oxbridge or russle group (your equivalent of ivy league) but people who go there can be really successful and you will enjoy being in the city too, its a great place to live.

Bristol is in the Russell Group.
Original post by jfranks
my mum and 2 of my 3 sisters have attended that university and they have all found well paid jobs.
obviously its not oxbridge or russle group (your equivalent of ivy league) but people who go there can be really successful and you will enjoy being in the city too, its a great place to live.

Bristol is Russell Group :yes:

Edit- Oh snap Evyy :lol:
Reply 16
seriously? it is? woops my bad
so its obviously not oxbridge but hey so far we have determined it is russle group so that has got to be another reason why you might want to go there. :smile: im sorry im a bit dumb
Reply 17
Thanks everyone. Is there An American equivalent you might compare it to?? Also- my boyfriend -- also American would be moving with me... Are there job opportunities there for Americans??
Do you go there?

No, although, I will be in October but that has not influenced my points because I did aaaaall my research before my applications
Reply 19
Original post by Naomiimoan
No, although, I will be in October but that has not influenced my points because I did aaaaall my research before my applications

Well... it's quite likely I'll see you there then :smile: What do you study?

Quick Reply