The Student Room Group

Plymouth Medical School Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Superxox
Thanks :smile: man i hope i get my accom or ill be sad LOL. i need other medics in my building!!

I need other medics in my building too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 901
Original post by debbylim13
I need other medics in my building too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha dw ill be ringin all the medics so much it will be like m living right next to em! Pretty sure everyone will be sick of me within a day LOL
Reply 902
Original post by Hanz_a93
Haha no worries. Dont worry, medical admissions told me they were certain i will find a place in halls, even now. I really want a place in halls, would be lovely getting to know loads of ppl all at once, especially medics haha :tongue: hope i get a few in my place xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh man! Hopefully we get a place! I mean we made it this far! Yh cnt wait to meet new ppl! imagine if i end up being a loner HAHA that would be embarassing then!
So how is the course like? Do we have lectures here n there or is it just pbl? And how often do we get lectures and do u have to attend them all? And how does pbl work, do we get like a case per week and meet up every week with your group somewhere to work on it? And also, how are we assesed, is it like a levels where after each unit u have an exam or is it mostly just practical exams?? And how many units are there in year one? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know the interview cut off score for an offer? Thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Congratulations to everyone that got through the hazards of UCAS and will shortly be moving into halls of residence or rented accommodation!

Look out for us (Plymouth Marrow) at the freshers fair to do a good deed for the day! We are part of Anthony Nolan (http://www.anthonynolan.org/marrow) and it couldn't be easier to become a potential life saver!

We look forward to seeing you in September and hope you enjoy your freshers week as much as possible

Kirsten Sellick, Plymouth Marrow
Original post by Hanz_a93
So how is the course like? Do we have lectures here n there or is it just pbl? And how often do we get lectures and do u have to attend them all? And how does pbl work, do we get like a case per week and meet up every week with your group somewhere to work on it? And also, how are we assesed, is it like a levels where after each unit u have an exam or is it mostly just practical exams?? And how many units are there in year one? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Usually around 6-8 lectures per case unit in year one all relevant to the case unit.

Each case unit lasts for two weeks and there are 10 in year one. In PBL you decide on the learning objectives (which is a pointless exercise as everyone will generate the same learning points, but it is really to engage you with the content and provide clinical context to aid with learning)

These learning points will then be covered by lectures, clinical skills and the life sciences sessions, which will cover the majority of the anatomy, physiology and pharmacology you need to know for that case unit.

You will also need to do do of your own learning from books and make some notes.

As for assessment we are assessed longitudinally by the progress test every 8 weeks, the end of year one exam and the formative anatomy spotter tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 907
Does anyone know if we get reading weeks, eg at the end of October?
Original post by navarre
Does anyone know if we get reading weeks, eg at the end of October?

Sadly no, there are no reading weeks. Although there are three 'student selected components' each year, where we get three weeks to write an essay, which is as close as we get to a reading week or a half-term! (although unlike reading week you do actually have to do some work!)
Guessing most people will be going to Freshers? Do we need to buy tickets or anything?
Reply 910
Original post by debbylim13
Guessing most people will be going to Freshers? Do we need to buy tickets or anything?

The uni do sell wristbands, but I bought one last year and never used it, so I wouldn't recommend buying one. The timetable for the MedSoc Freshers timetable is up on the website and the FB group if you want to have a look at what's happening :smile: You don't have to buy any tickets or anything before you get there

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PUPSMDFreshers2013/

http://www.plymouthpeninsulamedsoc.co.uk/#/freshers/4565012145
Reply 911
I have a 540 in vr should I still apply for 2014 entry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending