The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Official

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pstewarr785
Hi just wondering what percentage of each year counts towards a BSc Geography degree?

Hi,

Regulations and programme specifications are all online here http://www.ncl.ac.uk/regulations/docs/

The programme regulations doc for Geography (2016 entry) says: Candidates will be assessed for Honours Performance on the basis of the assessment of all themodules taken at Stage 2 and at Stage 3 with the stages weighted 1:2 respectively

So basically second year modules count for a third of your mark and third year modules count for two thirds. I think it's the same for most (non-medical) degrees :smile:

All the best,

Persephone
(edited 7 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by Newcastle University
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/regulations/docs/

Hi,

Regulations and programme specifications are all online here http://www.ncl.ac.uk/regulations/docs/

The programme regulations doc for Geography (2016 entry) says: Candidates will be assessed for Honours Performance on the basis of the assessment of all themodules taken at Stage 2 and at Stage 3 with the stages weighted 1:2 respectively

So basically second year modules count for a third of your mark and third year modules count for two thirds. I think it's the same for most (non-medical) degrees :smile:

All the best,

Persephone

Thank you
Hi,

Just wondering if you could give an indication as to when applicants to the Research Excellence Academy (for PhD study) will be notified as to the outcome of their application.

Thank you!
Original post by StevieG93
Hi,

Just wondering if you could give an indication as to when applicants to the Research Excellence Academy (for PhD study) will be notified as to the outcome of their application.

Thank you!

Hi,

Could you please e-mail [email protected] and include your full name and application number? They'll look into your application :smile:

All the best,

Persephone
What is the acceptance rate for applicants of Bsc Accounting and Finance?
Original post by mrmrm123

Hi,

Do you mean the Accounting and Finance BSc at our London campus? I will ask if they can send us some figures, but the first intake for that course is September 2016.

All the best,

Persephone
Original post by mrmrm123

Hello,

I'm afraid I don't have any numbers to hand, but the reply I've got from my colleague is as follows:
"We'd normally just advise that our typical entry criteria are AAB at A-level (or equivalent) and that students achieving these grades would have a good chance of acceptance."

Hope it helps. Any other questions please just ask.

Kezia
Hi, when is freshers week this year? And when do we move into the accommodation?
Original post by lizzieelou
Hi, when is freshers week this year? And when do we move into the accommodation?

Hi,

Freshers' Week is from Sunday 25 September until Friday 30 September. Wristbands will be on sale from the Official Website and that's where they'll post the announcements for acts, events, etc :smile: You can sign up for e-mail alerts, too, so you'll know as soon as wristbands go on sale.

Your move in date will depend on which accommodation you're in. There's arrival information on the Accommodation Services website, which includes the opening hours and contact details of each site's reception :smile:

Hope that helps!

Persephone
Hi
i was wondering how lenient Newcastle are with accounting and finance, would you be letting people in with missed grades foe 2017 entry?
I was a few ums off getting an A in maths for AS this year.
thanks
Original post by mathsaddict1234
Hi
i was wondering how lenient Newcastle are with accounting and finance, would you be letting people in with missed grades foe 2017 entry?
I was a few ums off getting an A in maths for AS this year.
thanks

Hi,

Have you thought about PARTNERS, it is a supported entry route that would provide you with a lower conditional offer dependent upon the completion of a summer school.

Should you just miss out on the conditions of your offer come results day you would be classed as a near miss and would be reconsidered depending on the spaces available.

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions just ask.

Isabella :smile:
Hi,

Have you thought about PARTNERS, it is a supported entry route that would provide you with a lower conditional offer dependent upon the completion of a summer school.

Should you just miss out on the conditions of your offer come results day you would be classed as a near miss and would be reconsidered depending on the spaces available.

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions just ask.

Do you know if Accounting and Finance is usually very popular at Newcastle or not? Roughly how many people are given offers/accepted each year? And would putting Newcastle as my firm give me a better chance of getting in?
Do you know if Accounting and Finance is usually very popular at Newcastle or not? Roughly how many people are given offers/accepted each year? And would putting Newcastle as my firm give me a better chance of getting in?

Hi,

I sent your query away to admissions and this is the response I received:
"The course is popular so we advise you apply by the 15th January as we may not be able to consider applications that are submitted after that. If you apply on time you will be considered and the number of applications varies each year, but we do make more offers than places to allow for those that do not accept or do not meet the conditions of the offer. When we get the A Levels resultswe consider any near misses and at that stage we do usually give priority tothose who have made us their firm choice." I hope this helps.

Hi,

I sent your query away to admissions and this is the response I received:
"The course is popular so we advise you apply by the 15th January as we may not be able to consider applications that are submitted after that. If you apply on time you will be considered and the number of applications varies each year, but we do make more offers than places to allow for those that do not accept or do not meet the conditions of the offer. When we get the A Levels resultswe consider any near misses and at that stage we do usually give priority tothose who have made us their firm choice." I hope this helps.

Do you think someone with predicted grades of BBB and a strong personal statement could get an offer?
Reply 214
Hi everyone!

Welcome to Newcastle University’s official Q&A thread here on The Student Room.

Our team will be responding to your queries on anything about Newcastle University. If you have any questions about student life at Newcastle, or if there is something you might like to know about studying with us, please get in touch. For any questions you may not wish to post publicly, feel free to drop the team a private message.

The site will be monitored Monday–Friday, 9am–5pm and we will aim to respond to you within 24 hours.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Newcastle University Student Room Team: Christina, Persephone, Matt and Anna

I didn't work as hard as I should have for my GCSEs so my results weren't as good as the could have been, however I got good grades in the subjects I will be taking for a level. As we now no longer do AS levels I will have to rely on my GCSEs to get me university offers. As these weren't so good I feel it would be better to apply after I have got my a level results. Do you think students who apply to universities after a levels results are at a disadvantage, or will they have an equal chance to the other candidates?
Hello,
For Medicine Newcastle says A level exams have to be taken within 2 years. Does this mean I can resit modules as that will still be in 2-year time frame.
Thanks,
Boss987
Reply 216
Does Newcastle have a 'not in halls' freshers FB group? I know a few other unis have them but had a look and can't see one for newcastle!

Everyone else is finding housemates and I feel a bit lost! :s-smilie:
Do you think someone with predicted grades of BBB and a strong personal statement could get an offer?

Hi,

I passed your query onto our admissions team who said:

"If they meet the GCSE requirements we would consider them but if we made an offer it would be thestandard offer of AAB excluding General studies, plus any other relevant conditions. A final decision would be made after careful consideration of the whole application including personal statement and reference, GCSE grades and A Level subjects being taken."
Hope this helps.

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by We5ty
I didn't work as hard as I should have for my GCSEs so my results weren't as good as the could have been, however I got good grades in the subjects I will be taking for a level. As we now no longer do AS levels I will have to rely on my GCSEs to get me university offers. As these weren't so good I feel it would be better to apply after I have got my a level results. Do you think students who apply to universities after a levels results are at a disadvantage, or will they have an equal chance to the other candidates?

Hi,

You definitely wouldn't be at a disadvantage if you apply after you receive your results :smile: However, your predicted A Level grades would be more important than your GCSE results. Do you think you will achieve higher grades than your teachers will predict?

What course are you interested in? I can ask the admissions officer if they have anything to add :smile: A very small number of our degrees have a GCSE pre-requisite but for the majority it's your A Levels or equivalent that are looked at.

Hope that helps,

Persephone
Reply 219
Hi,

You definitely wouldn't be at a disadvantage if you apply after you receive your results :smile: However, your predicted A Level grades would be more important than your GCSE results. Do you think you will achieve higher grades than your teachers will predict?

What course are you interested in? I can ask the admissions officer if they have anything to add :smile: A very small number of our degrees have a GCSE pre-requisite but for the majority it's your A Levels or equivalent that are looked at.

Hope that helps,

Persephone

Thank you this is incredibly helpful. I am interested in studying psychology at university. However I have heard this is quite a competitive course. I wil be studying biology, geography and economics for a level, and I hope to get good grades. However, as we now no longer have AS levels, I was wondering how much value your predicted grades carry in terms of reviving offers?

Quick Reply

Latest