The Student Room Group

UKCAT/ BMAT score system

i understant that:
Verbal Reasoning - 22 minutes to answer 44 questions
Quantitative Reasoning - 23 minutes to answer 36 questions
Abstract Reasoning - 16 minutes to answer 65 items
Decision Analysis - 32 minutes to answer 28 items
Non-Cognitive Analysis - 27 minutes - Item number varies, most likely either 100 or 125 questions

(by the way are there 4 or 5 sections i.e. does that last section exist??)

i dont understand what each section is out of, it cannot be 1mark per question as the total marks to get is 3600. so how are the scores converted??

and the same for the BMAT
i understand that it is:
* Section 1: Aptitude and Skills
* Section 2: Scientific Knowledge and Application
* Section 3: Writing Task
in 2 hrs (wthout calculator)
but how is everything marked and what is the average and what is a good mark??

THANK YOU - sorry for long message
Reply 1
Nobody knows how the UKCAT is calculated. It's one of lifes great mysteries. People speculate but nobody knows for sure.
Original post by abdkam
i understant that:
Verbal Reasoning - 22 minutes to answer 44 questions
Quantitative Reasoning - 23 minutes to answer 36 questions
Abstract Reasoning - 16 minutes to answer 65 items
Decision Analysis - 32 minutes to answer 28 items
Non-Cognitive Analysis - 27 minutes - Item number varies, most likely either 100 or 125 questions

(by the way are there 4 or 5 sections i.e. does that last section exist??)

i dont understand what each section is out of, it cannot be 1mark per question as the total marks to get is 3600. so how are the scores converted??

and the same for the BMAT
i understand that it is:
* Section 1: Aptitude and Skills
* Section 2: Scientific Knowledge and Application
* Section 3: Writing Task
in 2 hrs (wthout calculator)
but how is everything marked and what is the average and what is a good mark??

THANK YOU - sorry for long message

Nobody knows (UKCAT). It shouldn't matter :s-smilie: Do the best you can....
Reply 3
oh ok!!
and is the BMAT from 1(low) - to - 9 (high)
but no-ones got 9
usually 5 is average
and 7 is exceptional??

and what is the highest UKCAT ever scored?? out of the 900??
Original post by abdkam

and what is the highest UKCAT ever scored?? out of the 900??

how are we supposed to know? We're not everyone. But if the maximum is 900, then there will be people who might have got that or very close to that. Yet, rest assured there will also be a few people who got around 300 (the lowest).
I heard that all the people who run those ukcat courses have to get 900 in the ukcat every year to stay in work
However I highly doubt that
And no one knows how the UKCAT score is calculated.
I think it depends on how much the computer you're at likes you
If it doesnt you get 300 -600 (not amazing scores but if you're above 500 it's not impossible to get into medschool)
But if it does you get 700+ (which is a very good score)
and if it likes you as a friend but doesn't want anything serious you'll get an average score (600-700)
Reply 6
The scores for the UKCAT are calculated as follows:

In 2006, a cohort of candidates took the UKCAT. Their scores were calibrated so that the lowest was 300, the highest was 900 and the average was 600.
In subsequent years, everyone is compared to those pioneers and your mark is allocated in accordance to that. So let's just say for example taht the best guy for QR answered just 90% of the questions right, then he got 900 and anyone after that who answers 90% or more right will also get 900. That's why the mark cant be calculated because it is determined in relation to an earlier group.

For BMAT the situation is such taht most people will score between 4 and 6. I think only 5% or so of people get 7 or more. Oxford's website says that you should target a 6. The score is determined in relation to how many questions you get right but changes every year.

So for example, recently you needed to answer all but 3 questions right to get maximum mark. For section 1 you got a 6 if you answerer 21/35 questions right, and a 7 if you answered 25 out of 3.

For section 2, it was 14 and 18 respectively, out of 27.

Roughly speaking this makes it one mark for every 10% of answers correct.

For the essay this is marked out of 5, but 40% of candidates score 3.5 or more. Only 5% of candidates score 4.5 or 5.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
oh thanks a lot!!
ohh and spacepirate-James i just wanted to get an idea -
i just wanted to see if there was a potential for anyone to get 900/900
but that is impossible
Reply 8
Original post by abdkam
oh thanks a lot!!
ohh and spacepirate-James i just wanted to get an idea -
i just wanted to see if there was a potential for anyone to get 900/900
but that is impossible

any advice on the abstract reasoning? I mean when i do it, i understand you look at the two subsections with the fewest shapes, as it's easier, but there are so many different patterns - some being obscure! how are you meant to figure anything out?
Reply 9
i have no idea honestly ive just started my prep for it aswell
its just practice and practice then you become more familiar with it... i guess...
For the UKCAT scoring, although the highest score is 900, the lowest score you can get is actually either 200 or 300, I can't remember. No idea why, but that's how they've done it. That's probably why it seems a little odd.

And yes, you do sit the fifth section during the exam.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
For the UKCAT scoring, although the highest score is 900, the lowest score you can get is actually either 200 or 300, I can't remember. No idea why, but that's how they've done it. That's probably why it seems a little odd.

And yes, you do sit the fifth section during the exam.

not anymore i thought?

the UKCAT for 2011 emits the fifth section?
Original post by thatwasfast
not anymore i thought?

the UKCAT for 2011 emits the fifth section?

Does it? Ah well, not worth worrying about either way.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Does it? Ah well, not worth worrying about either way.

:smile: i guess so, unsure though if it's removed, but heard it's irrelevant no?
The lowest score you can get is 300. This is for statistical purpose so they can calculate the error margin or something like that.
The highest score is 900 and yes, some people can get it. All they need to do is be better than those who took the test in 2006.

For BMAT however, it is nearly impossible to get full mark.

The 5th section of the UKCAT has been taken off. It was only there for research purposes and they obviously thought it did not matter that much.
Original post by rudyrabbit
The scores for the UKCAT are calculated as follows:

In 2006, a cohort of candidates too the BMAT. Their scores were calibrated so that the lowest was 300, the highest was 900 and the average was 600.
In subsequent years, everyone is compared to those pioneers and your mark is allocated in accordance to that. So let's just say for example taht the best guy for QR answered just 90% of the questions right, then he got 900 and anyone after that who answers 90% or more right will also get 900. That's why the mark cant be calculated because it is determined in relation to an earlier group.

For BMAT the situation is such taht most people will score between 4 and 6. I think only 5% or so of people get 7 or more. Oxford's website says that you should target a 6. The score is determined in relation to how many questions you get right but changes every year.

So for example, recently you needed to answer all but 3 questions right to get maximum mark. For section 1 you got a 6 if you answerer 21/35 questions right, and a 7 if you answered 25 out of 3.

For section 2, it was 14 and 18 respectively, out of 27.

Roughly speaking this makes it one mark for every 10% of answers correct.

For the essay this is marked out of 5, but 40% of candidates score 3.5 or more. Only 5% of candidates score 4.5 or 5.

Where did you find this out?
Original post by Normandy114
Where did you find this out?

There is a lot of stuff on the bmat website. Loads of stats, if you have some time to look through it. Just realised I messed up my post though. The 2006 cohort was for the UKCAT not the BMAT.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending