The Student Room Group

Southampton Medical School 2012 Applicants

Am I being thick? Has a thread already been started? :confused:

So... Who's thinking of applying to Southampton and did you go to the open day?

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure? I don't think I've seen another thread about 2012 entry for Southampton... unless I'm being thick too?

ANYWAY! I'm thinking about applying to Southampton for English. I didn't go to an open day but I went to the university campus and town to look around and I really liked it. And I really like the course as well.

How about you?
Reply 2
For Medicine, maybe, but couldn't make the open day...

Good luck with your application!
Thanks so much! I'm going to really need that luck. xD
Oh wow, medicine huh? I wish you the best luck with your application too.
Where else are you thinking applying? Or you're not sure yet?
Reply 4
Not sure yet... Going round in circles! Best of luck to you.
Reply 5
I'm thinking about it but I'm not really sure what they look for, no interviews is off putting :s-smilie:
I meet their basic requirments and will probably meet the UKCAT cutoff but I know nothing else about their admissions process.
Original post by Caolan
I'm thinking about it but I'm not really sure what they look for, no interviews is off putting :s-smilie:
I meet their basic requirments and will probably meet the UKCAT cutoff but I know nothing else about their admissions process.

hey, there.
I am in the same situation and as far as i know, nobody really knows how their admission process is like. Some people say it's a bit like buying a lottery ticket. Anyways, i am putting myself down for their 5 year's course, still thinking whether i should put myself down for their four years couse or not since i will be applying as a graduate student.

Reply 7
Debating whether I should apply or not... Struggling to make a choice between here at Liverpool!
Southampton is on my shortlist of 5 (ggrr.. why dont they let us apply to 5?!)
So I might be applying!! Therefore I'm joining in with the thread.. hi guys!! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by foxyroxylove
hey, there.
I am in the same situation and as far as i know, nobody really knows how their admission process is like. Some people say it's a bit like buying a lottery ticket. Anyways, i am putting myself down for their 5 year's course, still thinking whether i should put myself down for their four years couse or not since i will be applying as a graduate student.

I don't really like the sound of that at all, I never win in things like that lol.
My GCSE's will pull down my application in most places, probably especially here give there is no interview. I need a 4th 5 year option though, probably couldn't hurt to apply here.
Reply 10
Original post by Caolan
I don't really like the sound of that at all, I never win in things like that lol.
My GCSE's will pull down my application in most places, probably especially here give there is no interview. I need a 4th 5 year option though, probably couldn't hurt to apply here.

They don't interview!!??
Reply 11
Original post by maemg
They don't interview!!??

Apparently not. It says on their website that they rarely interview school leavers, although it may occasionally happen.
Reply 12
Does anyone know how Southhampton use the UKCAT? :smile:
Reply 13
I heard soton love a good personal statement and it counts for a large part of the application with them anyone else heard this?
Reply 14
Original post by liviaaa
Does anyone know how Southhampton use the UKCAT? :smile:

Southampton cut the bottom 25% of the total ukcat scores. Cut off is usually in the late 500s I think. If you are above that, you are equal to all the others above that, I think.

Personal statement is the most important thing- tbh I'm not sure I'll apply there because I feel like it's a bit of luck to whether they like your ps or not- and it's extremely competitive. However, I did reeeeallly like the open day though so I'm not sure...
Reply 15
im thinking of applying to the A100 course. do you think i would have a chance? (international student btw!) Thanks in advance :smile:

GCSE: 1A* 7A 1C
AS: AAAB (Math, Chemistry, Biology, Economics respectively)
Predicted AAA
UKCAT: 600

also can someone suggest another university that i could be legible for? because i am quite stuck with choices at the moment and im getting really worried :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by franynli
im thinking of applying to the A100 course. do you think i would have a chance? (international student btw!) Thanks in advance :smile:

GCSE: 1A* 7A 1C
AS: AAAB (Math, Chemistry, Biology, Economics respectively)
Predicted AAA
UKCAT: 600

also can someone suggest another university that i could be legible for? because i am quite stuck with choices at the moment and im getting really worried :frown:

You should be fine, its all about the PS anyway you only need to meet minimum entry requirements to get to the next round of PS analysis and thats were they make their decisions. Watch out for your ukcat though, yours should be fine, they cut off the bottom 25% as a means of lighting the load of applicants.

Also have a look at st.georges uni or some of the scottish ones, excluding edinburgh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by maemg
You should be fine, its all about the PS anyway you only need to meet minimum entry requirements to get to the next round of PS analysis and thats were they make their decisions. Watch out for your ukcat though, yours should be fine, they cut off the bottom 25% as a means of lighting the load of applicants.

Also have a look at st.georges uni or some of the scottish ones, excluding edinburgh.

Thanks a lot! do you know what was last years cut off for UKCAT in southampton?

ive looked at st. georges but im on borderline entry and im a bit worried about that and i havent got evidence of work experience just shadowing :frown: trying to get some though!
and yea i might apply for aberdeen?

Edit: sorry read the post above, late 500s was cut off
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by franynli
Thanks a lot! do you know what was last years cut off for UKCAT in southampton?

ive looked at st. georges but im on borderline entry and im a bit worried about that and i havent got evidence of work experience just shadowing :frown: trying to get some though!
and yea i might apply for aberdeen?

I think the cut off was something in the high 500's last year it might rise as it normally always does , what do you mean your borderline for st.georges?:confused:, yea i was thinking of applying for aberdeen aswell not to sure now though, i'm really looking for unis which give out alot of interviews like st.georges you just need 416 points in gcse's and predicted AAA and a decent ukcat (which i still have to do!!!) and you get an interview.:cool:
Reply 19
Original post by maemg
I think the cut off was something in the high 500's last year it might rise as it normally always does , what do you mean your borderline for st.georges?:confused:, yea i was thinking of applying for aberdeen aswell not to sure now though, i'm really looking for unis which give out alot of interviews like st.georges you just need 416 points in gcse's and predicted AAA and a decent ukcat (which i still have to do!!!) and you get an interview.:cool:

well i dont know if its a bit of a risk applying with my calculation of 422 points thats why :/ and mainly the issue with work experience thing :/
its just aberdeen is so far.. haha :P
good luck in your ukcat!! hope you get better than me at least! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest