The Student Room Group

potential 2012 optometry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, I was just wanting to know if you could help me out with something.

I recently submitted my UCAS application for Medicine and two of my choices were for Optometry. I've since received an email for the admissions tutors at City University asking me to write another personal statement relating to the course. My original personal statement is geared towards medicine and they know that [if I secure a place] medicine is my first choice. How do I write a personal statement demonstrating my interest and suitability for the course without contradicting what I wrote in my original personal statement about my desire to study medicine? As a medicine applicant, you want to do everything you can to secure a place [this is my second time applying] before you think about another career and the career you subsequently choose to follow has to be of interest to you. After much thought and research, Optometry is the only degree I would consider doing were I unsuccessful in gaining a place this year. So how can I put this across in my personal statement without fabricating and exaggerating why I want to study the subject and make it sound convincing?

Also, how important is work experience at an Opticians? I've obviously got my work experience and I can word it to make it relevant to Optometry, I've also been ringing around like crazy to secure some work experience but no luck so far and I have to submit this alternate personal statement by November 30th. How badly would it damage my application if I didn't have that experience in an Opticians?

Explain the neg.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by the_alybot
Hey guys, I was just wanting to know if you could help me out with something.

In mine, I just talked about how I had a bit of work experience and what I learned - so it might be useful to get some placement. Do you have any, like, small independent opticians near you? That's where I did mine, our local one. Then again, that's where I get my eyes tested so maybe he just felt like he should let me because I'm a customer and stuff. I dunno.

I talked about how I learned about eye diseases and thins, like macular degeneration and glaucoma and stuff too. So maybe if you can put something in about that?

I also shadowed an orthoptist though, an I don't know if this will help or hinder me for optom, since it could be taken like 'she obviously likes learning about the eye' or it could be 'she's no idea what she's on about'. But yeah, obviously you won't have that.

Er... Your clubs and activites can stay the same presumably. I think of you can't get work experience then you just need to really big up your traits that would make you good for the course, eg if you're good with children and can make them feel at ease, that's a plus.
Original post by Midnightsk010
Me!! :smile: :headbang:But I still haven't sent ucas away yet :eek::cry2:

Hy neither hav I my referee keeps delaying and delaying :angry: wer else u applying? Wat grades u got ?
Original post by ?!master?!mini?!
i wrote what i got and stuff on on the page before this i think

i applied to:

city
cardiff
Anglia ruskin
aston

(in order of preference)

i have achieved A*AB hence the unconditional :biggrin:

Well done on marks. Sorry I did not notice anything on previous pages.:smile:
Original post by user3456
hey when are you planning on handing it in / when are your predicted / what unis are you applying to lol sorry i know a lotta questions but is it just me or is UCAS the most stressfullllllllllll thing you've ever doneeeeeeeee:angry::angry::angry:

Hope to hand it in in next couple of weeks, u?. Expected A,B,C in Scottish advanced highers and not sure about math probs B but hopefully A.
Applying to Caledonian for optom and opthalmic dispensing, 2 for pharmacy, and considering putting either coleraine/Bradford as fifth choice, dunno tho. As a scot there isn't many options and it's so expensive.
Wer else u applying? Wat grades u got?
I no it's sooooooo stressful :colondollar:
Original post by hannahmac4
Hy neither hav I my referee keeps delaying and delaying :angry: wer else u applying? Wat grades u got ?

I know what you mean :cry2:
Did 6 highers last year, got 5 Bs and 1 A :frown:
Hoping for a conditional :frown:
:rolleyes::dice:

What grades did you get?:cookie:

Optometry either at Cali or Bradford hopefully.
And Chemical engineering either at Aberdeen or Strathclyde, still haven't decided on a 5th choice :frown:

How about you? :biggrin::ninja2:
I know what you mean :cry2:
Did 6 highers last year, got 5 Bs and 1 A :frown:
Hoping for a conditional :frown:
:rolleyes::dice:

What grades did you get?:cookie:

Optometry either at Cali or Bradford hopefully.
And Chemical engineering either at Aberdeen or Strathclyde, still haven't decided on a 5th choice :frown:

How about you? :biggrin::ninja2:

Well done on grades last year :smile:
I got 3 A's and 2 B's (highers) (1 Mark of 4 A's):mad:
Hoping for conditional on math and physics.:redface: Considering applying to coleraine/Plymouth/Bradford as well but not sure.:s-smilie:
I'm also applying to pharmacy at RGU and strathclyde.

Wat school do u go? I no no1 who's applying to optom from my area !
Original post by hannahmac4
Well done on grades last year :smile:
I got 3 A's and 2 B's (highers) (1 Mark of 4 A's):mad:
Hoping for conditional on math and physics.:redface: Considering applying to coleraine/Plymouth/Bradford as well but not sure.:s-smilie:
I'm also applying to pharmacy at RGU and strathclyde.

Wat school do u go? I no no1 who's applying to optom from my area !

Their amazing results :biggrin:
Is your personal statement going to be focused on Optometry or Pharmacy then? :cookie:

Hopefully :crossedf:

I'm from Glasgow lol, I go to Notre Dame, an all girls school haha. How about you? I know 4 other people who are applying to Optometry at Cali lol :biggrin:
I sent off my ucas on Friday...
I applied at Aston and ARU for optom and Liverpool and Sheffield for orthoptics (predicted ABB), but I really wanted to get into Aston even though they have AAA entry requirements, so I emailed them and they said that they will consider ABB, but I'm worried that my personal statement is not good enough now :frown:

Dammit, why is applying to uni so stressful!!!!!!!!!
Reply 109
yepp, i sent my ucas off tday, how bout you and everyone else, whats everyones predicted and AS grades to applying for optom?
I got an offer from aston today!! Has anyone heard anything yet?
Original post by GThiarra1
yepp, i sent my ucas off tday, how bout you and everyone else, whats everyones predicted and AS grades to applying for optom?

Not sure who it's directed at, but my AS's were BBCC, and predicted either AAB or ABB (think ABB is more likely)
Reply 112
Original post by Jodieeee....
I got an offer from aston today!! Has anyone heard anything yet?

WOW!! Well done man!! That's so live!! What was the offer? When did you apply?

Well done man.. You got offer from the best uni of Optom.. :smile:

What were your AS grades?
Their amazing results :biggrin:
Is your personal statement going to be focused on Optometry or Pharmacy then? :cookie:

Hopefully :crossedf:

I'm from Glasgow lol, I go to Notre Dame, an all girls school haha. How about you? I know 4 other people who are applying to Optometry at Cali lol :biggrin:

Thanks :biggrin: personal statement totally devoted to optom. I go to Kinross high in Perth.
Wow can't believe you no 4 other people and I no none :eek:

Have u sent ur UCAS my ref keeps delaying :angry::angry::angry:
So far I've gotten conditional offers from Aston and Anglia Ruskin, and a rejection from Plymouth :P
WOW well done on the offer :biggrin:
I have an interview at Bradford on the 23rd november
well i say interview... its an applicant open day that you need to go to before an offer can be made

Is anyone else going??

Yeah when my head of sixth knew what i was doing he said 'i cant wait to see your statement, i've never seen an optometry one before' its like EEK
where else have you applied (you may have said in other posts and i apologise if you have :L)

Thank you! Out of the 6 unis that offer Optom in England, Bradford was the one I didn't apply to :L tell me how the open day goes!

And it's strange how it seems nobody knows what Optometry is, yet it gets so many applicants?!

I'm predicted Biology A, Physics B, Psychology A*

I've applied for (and received news from):

Anglia Ruskin - conditional offer (ABB in Biology, Physics, Psychology) - acknowledgement arrived the day after I received my offer XD
Aston - conditional offer (AAA in Biology, Physics, Psychology)
City - no acknowledgement - no news
Manchester - acknowledgement - no news
Plymouth - rejection (I would need an A in Physics but I'm predicted B so I "did not meet academic criteria")
Hey guys, I have a couple queries I wonder if any of you could answer?

I'm predicted Biology A, Physics B, Psychology A*.

I really want to go to Anglia Ruskin (ABB with AB in Biology and Physics). What if I were to actually get Biology A, Physics C, Psychology A*? Because the UCAS points would be the same. What if they really like me as an applicant? Does it EVER happen that on the off chance they could accept someone with these grades?

Or even someone with one grade lower than the entry requirements i.e. who chooses who gets a place on exam results day, the computer (based on who got the required grades) or admissions tutors (i.e. done manually to consider all aspects of application)?
Original post by britchick
Thank you! Out of the 6 unis that offer Optom in England, Bradford was the one I didn't apply to :L tell me how the open day goes!

And it's strange how it seems nobody knows what Optometry is, yet it gets so many applicants?!

I'm predicted Biology A, Physics B, Psychology A*

I've applied for (and received news from):

Anglia Ruskin - conditional offer (ABB in Biology, Physics, Psychology) - acknowledgement arrived the day after I received my offer XD
Aston - conditional offer (AAA in Biology, Physics, Psychology)
City - no acknowledgement - no news
Manchester - acknowledgement - no news
Plymouth - rejection (I would need an A in Physics but I'm predicted B so I "did not meet academic criteria")

What the Hell!! Rejection from Plymouth? I live in Plymouth its their second year of the course - they have no graduates yet so they should not reject for that ! I'm predicted a b in biology! I got an offer from 3 A's too! And like yourself I've been predicted A* a b! I'll probably get a rejection from Plymouth :/
Reply 118
Original post by britchick
Hey guys, I have a couple queries I wonder if any of you could answer?

I'm predicted Biology A, Physics B, Psychology A*.

I really want to go to Anglia Ruskin (ABB with AB in Biology and Physics). What if I were to actually get Biology A, Physics C, Psychology A*? Because the UCAS points would be the same. What if they really like me as an applicant? Does it EVER happen that on the off chance they could accept someone with these grades?

Or even someone with one grade lower than the entry requirements i.e. who chooses who gets a place on exam results day, the computer (based on who got the required grades) or admissions tutors (i.e. done manually to consider all aspects of application)?

Hiya! :smile:

Congrats in getting in Aston! :biggrin: That's sick.. Weird that you got an offer from Aston and not from Plymouth.. Anyway..

I know someone who goes AR with ABC after his results with AAA predictions. He said the lowest offer he met was someone with ACC and another A at AS. And then he goes that a lot of applicants get in with clearing too.. So I think you'll be fine as long as you get the Ucas points and you did decent in your AS.. :smile:

Once more, well done on your offers and good luck with the rest.. :wink:
Reply 119
I got an offer from 3 A's too!/

You got an offer from 3 A's? Or you mean Aston? lol

Anyway, her reason she got rejected is that she did not get predicted AA in 2 sciences. So as long as you get AA in 2 science and decent personal statement etc. You should get an offer..

Yeah true, it's still weird for them to reject people like that, which they shouldn't..

Oh well, I'm afraid that's how it is.. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest